News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPCWiki on the move!

Started by Gryzor, 09:13, 14 November 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Hello guys,

I regret to inform you that we'll need to change servers again...

A few days ago Andreas contacted me and informed me that I'd need to find a new server to host the project (details will follow).

Got to admit, my heart sunk a bit. I'm tired of this process and, for a second there, I thought to myself "ah, just screw it". However, I got into overdrive soon enough and the result is we've found a very nice and powerful server.

If things go as planned we'll perform the move during the week (Wednesday or Friday, when we'll have finished testing on the new server). Downtime should be minimal - maybe a couple of hours tops, though as usual it'll take a few hours before the new IP for the domain is propagated. In order to prevent people from posting/modifying needlessly the site on the current server everything will be disabled when the process begins. I expect us to lose almost nothing of the posts or edits, since I'll take a backup right before the move is initiated.

The bad news is, we'll need money. We've ridden for free enough up to now, and we've used our share of small/cheap hosts but it's clearly not working any more. The annual cost for the new server will be running in the hundreds of €€, so I'll be grateful for any and all donations, however small, you can spare.
For up-to-date news you can contact me at krakout gmail, follow us on twitter (@krakout) or follow the CPC news outlets, such as Octoate's blog.

Finally, I would like to sincerely thank Andreas for keeping us afloat for these last few months. Andreas is very knowledgeable, very willing to help and his server was the best I've seen. So thanks!

Thanks for your understanding,
Themis

robcfg

You know you can count me in  ;)

And  you've been doing an awesome work these years, thank you Sir!

Devilmarkus

I know about the reasons etc...
So it's sad to read.

I'll stay here as admin in this forum, but I don't have the money & time to work on a new server.
If someone wants, I could give Gryzor a subdomain + mysql database on cpc-live.com where he then could install at least the forum.
(For the complete wiki, its not complex enough)

So, we could redirect this forum then to the one on a subdomain until the new server is ready to use.
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Gryzor

@Robcfg: thank you mate, really appreciate it, both your intention and kind words. Really do.

@Markus: same old, same old... but we're still going, no? :) As for the forum, no need to really, the new server is powerful enough to support everything. As a matter of fact all the data has been migrated there, I'm now trying to iron out configuration issues to go live. Thanks though :)

TFM

So why does the CPCWiki must move?
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Prefer not to say yet, I don't want to give Andreas any trouble. But I'll explain after the move.

MacDeath

New prime minister, new server...

What's wrong with the world today ?

Good luck mate. :)

TFM

Sorry, didn't know what's going on. Not asking any longer.

But best wished to all people here and to the project.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

@MacDeath: actually, the answer to the wiki problems could apply to politics as well, but oh well :D
@TFM: no problem mate, no harm in asking :)

Gryzor

Hello guys,

I'm pleased to say that last night the move to the new server was almost completed. I'm trying to figure out some small db rights issue (it works as is, but I wanted to consolidate some things), and as soon as this is done I'll sync the servers and will then transfer the domain. Downtime should be in the minutes range, and I'll announce the new IP because we'll continue to resolve the name to the current server for a couple of days tops.

Everything seems to be working fine, so stand by :)

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:26, 19 November 11Everything seems to be working fine, so stand by :)

Unsure if it's an one off, though I logged in only to be booted off shortly afterwards. I tried again which worked fine, just wondered if anyone else had been experiencing this? It's particularly annoying for me cause everytime I log on, if I'm anywhere in the Forum Sub-Directories, it reverts me back to the Forum Home Page!  :(
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Gryzor

The logoff was probably a one-time thing. As for the other issue, it's how the system works, unfortunately. Just check the box to keep you signed in :)

Also, apologies for the move delay. I've not been well the past few days, so I had to postpone it lest I did something stupid...

TFM

Thank's a lot for all the work you invested!!!
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

...and thanks for your kind words. Keep fingers crossed, tonight's the night* :)

*basically this means the wiki will probably stay down for the night...

tastefulmrship

Job done! Nice one!
Looks like it's all working well!

EDIT1: This my HALO post... (work it out... come on... look at the post count... it's obvious... yes... good!)

EDIT2: Is 85.17.90.77 going to be the permanent IP?

Gryzor

Yup! We're up and running, I wonder how often server IP changes are propagated throughout the DNS world...

Yes, it's the permanent IP, but don't point directly to it, all you'll see will be an empty index page...

As usual, please people do give your feedback and impressions!

AMSDOS

* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Gryzor

Morning world!

It's still a bit shaky for me, unfortunately. But it does work. Phew.

Devilmarkus

So what are the new server specs?
I see it's standing in Canada?
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Gryzor

Unless Canada moved to the Netherlands then no :D Where did you see that?

Oh, also, forgot to mention: email notifications are not working yet since I didn't have the time to configure the SMTP server...

tastefulmrship

I don't know how important this is, but the server time seems to be around 7 minutes fast!
(I posted this at 10:47 according to my GPS clocks!)

Gryzor

Really? Ok, that's easily fixable - let's see my post's timestamp :)

[EDIT] Yeah, 8 minutes according to my machine...

steve

If you are going to correct the time, I should mention that it is 2 hours and 8 minutes ahead of the time in Great Britain. :(

tastefulmrship

Quote from: steve on 01:44, 27 November 11
If you are going to correct the time, I should mention that it is 2 hours and 8 minutes ahead of the time in Great Britain. :(
Is it? Is your TIME OFFSET set correctly? (Maybe the auto-detect isn't working properly)

To check;
- Go to PROFILE
- Click on LOOK AND LAYOUT
- Check TIME OFFSET

Mine says -2 hours... which makes the time correct(ish).

Gryzor

Steve, you do realise that the server time is only correct for *one* time zone, right? :D It so happens that it's showing CET+1 (GMT+2) since I set it up and I live there ;)

Thanks to tastefulmrship for the tip, had actually forgotten about it.

Couldn't be arsed to fix the time yestarday, I'll do it today. Maybe. For the time being a torrent of, erm, torrents, prevents my SSH connection from functioning fast enough.