News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Dead / Broken URL's or otherwise not wanted URL's in forum

Started by kribjo, 13:39, 14 February 17

Previous topic - Next topic

kribjo

Hi,

Is there a preferred way to report dead/broken or otherwise not wanted URL's in forum? Would be nice if they could be updated by author or removed by admin.
I found one topic now. URL to game, but domain is now apprarently promoting law profession.  :)

Bjørn

Bryce

It's a Wiki, feel free to remove it yourself with a note in the edits that the link is no longer valid, or replace it with a valid link if you have one.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Do you mean the forum or the wiki? In the wiki you can always change it yourself, though it'd be nice to report it so that we are aware of spamming efforts.

In here, you can just report the relevant post!

(btw, moving this thread to the relevant sub-forum)

kribjo

Gryzor,

It's in the forum. I know some forums have decided to leave topics as is, although the number of dead links will increase. Maybe that is ok, but as a security precaution I don't like it (read: malicious user buys domain of dead link and install malware for us to browse). But, hey! That's me.  ;D

I have reported link now using the obvious "report to moderator" link I did not see.  :doh:

Regards,

Bjørn

Gryzor

Hahaha no worries mate, thanks for reporting it - I changed the reported post.

This, by the way, is a good reason not to post links to other sites just for files that could be uploaded here...

remax

It can be a bad thing to remove dead links.... Sometimes, when you're looking for something that has kind disappeared from the surface of the net, knowing an old link can help search in archive.org
Brain Radioactivity

AMSDOS

I don't know if it's total rubbish, though I heard word about a site which is going through the process (if not completed) of archiving the entire Web from the beginning of the World Wide Web (1994?). Sorry it's off-topic, the broken link reminded me of that conversation.

Anyone know about that? Google Cache was brought up though this person was convinced this other site existed.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Gryzor

@AMSDOS - you're probably referring to archive.org which remax mentioned just above?

@remax - what you say makes sense, but it poses the problem when we don't like giving traffic and visibility to other sites that may have taken over the initial domain... doing nofollows is not exactly simple :(

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:35, 16 February 17
@AMSDOS - you're probably referring to archive.org which remax mentioned just above?

Seems to be the most plausable even though it archives all sorts of stuff, websites seems to be included with that.

* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

remax

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:35, 16 February 17

@remax - what you say makes sense, but it poses the problem when we don't like giving traffic and visibility to other sites that may have taken over the initial domain... doing nofollows is not exactly simple :(

If you have enough times, you can change the dead link by a link to the same page under archive.org...

Or you can modify the adress in such a way that you can still guess the old adress...
Brain Radioactivity