News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Donations

Started by Gryzor, 13:42, 09 March 22

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Hello guys! 

Since the forum upgrade we lost the ability to accept donations through the old Treasury system. There isn't an easy way to restore the functionality (there is *a* way, but it requires tons of hunting about in the code and fixing stuff manually, and I'm not going to risk losing everything with the next minor update.

So instead, we now have... SUBSCRIPTIONS!

Subscriptions have always been here, apparently. I mean, it has always been part of the forum software, but I never enabled it intentionally; nonetheless, over the years a handful of persons actually managed to 'purchase' one, I really don't know how :D

But now it's official.

You can find the subscription options under your User menu (top left on the page). I've yet to customise the amounts and the rest of the details, but you can see how it works.

Each subscription buys you... absolutely nothing. Well, apart from some vague reassurance that this place will continue to exist. There are no paid parts of the site, no paywall-related services, you won't get the next beta or Vespertino or anything. Just the usual warm and fuzzy feeling you get from helping out (which, I found, is surprisingly similar to opening a cassette case and sniffing the smell of it).

Let me know your thoughts!!

Oh also I've added a "Donations" button to the rightmost of the main menu (do tell me if you see a Euro icon or the generic one, please!).

Cheers
T

SRS

>do tell me if you see a Euro icon or the generic one, please!).

The generic (like left of "CPCWiki")

Gryzor

Thanks for confirming!

Bryce

I'll check it out... After I've got over that dreadful image of you secretly sniffing old cassettes! ???

Bryce.

Gryzor

Yeah yeah, you've never tried it yourself.

Nworc

Quote from: Bryce on 17:48, 09 March 22I'll check it out... After I've got over that dreadful image of you secretly sniffing old cassettes! ???

Bryce.

Sounds like an insider. But now that it's out .. where's the link?

Spoiler: ShowHide
BASF chromdioxide, possibly?  :D

Gryzor

Mmm BASF smell the best! 😁

Links are in the first post: in the user menu top left, and the last link on the main menu bar.

abalore

BSC

My subscription button shows a greedy little emoji sticking its dollar bill tongue at me  ..  ;)

Funny bug (in chromium at least): I can't open the user menu while a thread is displayed, it's only possible from the home page or overview page.

** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

pelrun

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:42, 09 March 22Subscriptions have always been here, apparently. I mean, it has always been part of the forum software, but I never enabled it intentionally; nonetheless, over the years a handful of persons actually managed to 'purchase' one, I really don't know how :D

Awww, and I thought I was special sneaking in a sub just after the forum update. :P

Gryzor

Apparently after upgrading it was properly enabled... That donation actually made me look into it😁

Gryzor

Ok, subscription packages edited. These are based on the amounts people usually donate (thank you!), but nothing stops you from mixing and matching I would guess. But any comments are welcome.

Also it occurred to me that the subs part of the forum lacks the transparency that Treasury had. If people think it would be adviseable, I could maintain a yearly list of donors in a thread, no problem whatsoever.

Maniac

I subscribed the other day using the basic option and it all worked really well! That was before I knew I'd be the rarest of CPC a 664!

Gryzor

Quote from: Maniac on 19:57, 10 March 22I subscribed the other day using the basic option and it all worked really well! That was before I knew I'd be the rarest of CPC a 664!
Hehe I could turn that into GX if you like😁

Thanks for the support!

Maniac

Quote from: Gryzor on 20:04, 10 March 22Hehe I could turn that into GX if you like😁

:laugh: I really wouldn't mind! I have a 6128 Plus and love it so you know...

Animalgril987

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:42, 09 March 22Each subscription buys you... absolutely nothing. Well, apart from some vague reassurance that this place will continue to exist.

Works for me :D
I take it we get an annual reminder?

Gryzor

All the happier then :D

Animalgril987

Btw @Gryzor , did you realise that under Recent Posts at the bottom of the home page, you're listed as "grizor" with an "i" ?

Gryzor

Erm... no, I can't see that :D Screenshot?

Animalgril987

Okay...That is most definitely weird: On my tablet ( Android 10 and Chrome) it's an "i", on my laptop, Win 10 and Edge, it's a "y"...

Animalgril987

Hope the screen shot is clear enough? Not done one on Android before.

Gryzor

The screenshot is clear, but this is so strange I think you may be trolling me :D

I can see it just fine on my Android with Vivaldi btw.

Animalgril987

Nope, no trolling. I'm just a 60-something proud CPC owner, who spotted an oddity on the forum.

As for trolls, I know some good bridges they can go and crawl under. ;D

Gryzor

Haha what on earth, this is a bit surreal 😀 

Still seeing it like that? And what browser do you use?

Animalgril987

Chrome on Android, but now it's correct!?

Probably some weird bug my end. Modern tech, eh? Would never have happened on a 464!  :D

Alan.