News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Downloads service!

Started by Gryzor, 13:00, 29 March 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

I use alphabetical sub-directories, makes it easier/faster to find the game you want.

Bryce.

Gryzor

I do that too, like A-F, J-M etc. etc. I also use a "New" folder. But as the collection grows you have to sort within them...

kyjena

Quote from: Bryce on 13:40, 05 June 12
I use alphabetical sub-directories, makes it easier/faster to find the game you want.

Bryce.

That's i would say. And sub folder too for "Loriciels" and other editors with their games and also some "Magnum" or another like setup-compatible soft folder if you want find games for Magnum in example.

Badstarr

Here is my fixed image of Prehistorik II, its made from the image that usually crashes at Track 38 on the HxC but of course, fixed so that this issue does not occur. For some reason the HxC software truncates the output image, maybe due to some weak sector copy protection perhaps? Any how, my HxC and my 464 Plus seem to like this image. I will post the Cauldron image soon (still haven't found my SD Card Adaptor!)
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

Gryzor

Quote from: Badstarr on 00:08, 06 June 12
Here is my fixed image of Prehistorik II, its made from the image that usually crashes at Track 38 on the HxC but of course, fixed so that this issue does not occur. For some reason the HxC software truncates the output image, maybe due to some weak sector copy protection perhaps? Any how, my HxC and my 464 Plus seem to like this image. I will post the Cauldron image soon (still haven't found my SD Card Adaptor!)

Thanks, added it here :)

dlfrsilver

The original Prehistorik 2 uses a track 30 with 14 sectors, plus a GAP key protection....

Is it correctly supported by HxC ?

mr_lou

I just happened to notice this yesterday:
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/index.php?action=dldir;sa=details;lid=3748

Says "Fixed HFE file for HxC"

Gryzor

Quote from: mr_lou on 05:31, 18 June 12
I just happened to notice this yesterday:
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/index.php?action=dldir;sa=details;lid=3748

Says "Fixed HFE file for HxC"

Yeah, but I haven't tried it myself; does it work or not after all?

Badstarr

I found that the original DSK image I had obtained from several sources just plain refused to load via an HxC, but the same image was happy enough when loading from a physical disk. Converting the image using the HxC software just produced a disk image that essentially stopped at track 38. The HFE image I uploaded should correct this issue and should work fine with the HxC (I'm sure I copied the right one  ;) ). If anyone has found that this fixed image does not work then please post back so I can look at what is going on. I have been using the image with my HxC without any issues so far so hopefully other members should be able to expect the same results. It took me a few goes before I managed to get a functional image so there is the small possibility that I copied a failed attempt from the SD Card but I'm sure I got the right one. 
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

Carnivius

Ok I'm now going to admit my ignorance and ask this;  What the fudgeyfish is all this HxC and HFE stuff and how does an SD Card relate to a CPC?   I feel like I'm missing out on something here.  I know crud-all about the CPC-techy stuffs.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Bryce

Very quick HxC / HFE summary:

HxC: Is a floppy emulator. You connect it to any computer that has a flopppy controller and the computer thinks there's a floppy drive connected. In reality the HxC has an SD Card with lots of floppy images saved on it. so you can have all your disks on a single SD card. Choose an image and the computer thinks that disk is in the floppy drive.

HFE: Whereas the standard disk images for the CPC are called DSK files, the HxC uses its own format known as HFE. to use a DSK file on the HxC it needs to be converted to HFE first.

Bryce.

Carnivius

Oh right.  That's cool then. I don't know what a floppy controller is.  Is it worth getting one of these in the future for my 464 or is that not possible.  Did many games require 6128 rom and memory?  Although most must have run ok on a 664 right? 

Mainly interested as some of my cassettes are starting to fail perhaps due to age.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Bryce

The floppy controller is the electronics needed to control a floppy drive. In the 664 and 6128 this is a chip called the µPD765. The 464 didn't have this built in, so there was an expansion available - The DDI-1 which gave the 464 a floppy controller, usually sold together with the FD-1 (The Amstrad external 3in disk drive).

There are some "6128 only" games, but I don't think there were many.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Carnivac, do read here for the HxC. Really lovely piece of machinery, there has been lots of discussions here on the wiki about it. Well worth its money, though you'd need a floppy controller indeed if you only have a 464.

Not a lot of 128k-only games (this question comes up time and again, we should compile a definite list for the wiki...), but some had better characteristics: some voice samples here (like Robocop), some extra tunes there, single loading... Few require 128k to run. The brand new and awesome thing that's called R-Type remake requires 128k, and is well worth it:

[AMSTRAD CPC] R-Type 128K Remake - Longplay (Full Game)

Andrew Musson

Who do I need to contact, as I would be interested in getting a DVD of the magazines scans from this site?

ThomH

Quote from: Andrew Musson on 13:02, 24 June 18
Who do I need to contact, as I would be interested in getting a DVD of the magazines scans from this site?
I don't see a downloads link anywhere; supposing the issue was bandwidth would it also be possible to return the downloads behind a paywall? I don't see a problem with contributing for the hosting of such a large amount of data but it's been two computers since I had an optical drive, and I live overseas.

scruss

The Internet Archive wants to host these as part of The Computer Magazine Archives.
What magazines were in the CPCWiki archive that aren't on either archive.org or on RetroPDFs?

Gryzor

The magazines were never on the wiki itself, too many GBs just for some leeching. But I always offered to send a couple of DVDs to those asking for them.

As for the rest of the Downloads, seemed like nobody ever contributed and nobody ever used them really, so off they went.