News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Downloads service!

Started by Gryzor, 13:00, 29 March 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Ok guys, a small heads-up on a big issue.   

I've been having some discussions with members these past several days regarding magazine downloads. As you all know, at some point we did have everything up, but what ensued was an incomprehensible amount of leeching, and we didn't feel like it, so the magazine archives were taken down, to be replaced by a DVD-delivery service at cost prices.   

But I always missed them being online... so I have decided to up them again. During the next few days, when I get access to a PC with a phat uplink, I will first upload them all to the server, then start making them available. As you can see (or not, still in testing phase), there's a new tab in the menu row above, aptly called "Downloads". This is a complete file management system, with batch downloads, categories, tags, thumbs etc etc. I feel that the end result will be beautiful.   

But wait! That's not all! Since there'll be a complete upload/download system in place I see no reason why we couldn't have the complete Amstrad omnibus, games and apps alike. With easy-to-use categories and tags and custom fields and whatnot. Only thing is, it'll need some work, anyone who can help, please step forward!       

Let me know what you think :)

|Themis

Cpcmaniaco

A good idea.

But, what mags will you put now.

Because it will be a good thing, put the mags on PDF with OCR, too.

I download many of them from here with Torrents:

Currently Available Collections | RetroPDFs

Amstrad Action, Amtix, Amstrad Computer User are here.

Gryzor

CwtA is missing, but I've got it. I know these torrents, maybe it's the ones I've got, but I'll check. A pity the Amstrad mags are downloading so slowly...

Thanks for the suggestion!

Also, one question: what is currently the most complete games archive to upload? The GBCPC archive contains 3210 files in 443MB (uncompressed), is there something else I should look at?

Thanks!

PS I've changed your custom profile title, hope you don't mind ;)

MugUK

I got them (the magazines) from the newsgroups but then lost them due to a h/drive crash. I can get them again if someone tells me which ones are missing?
I love poking (and peeking) around files.  I used to write saved-game editors on the Atari ST (and Amiga) using GFA BASIC, so looking forward to having some fun with my 6128 :)

Gryzor

Can you see what's there, and in what format? That would help :)

steve

Sorry but I do not see the download button. :(

Gryzor

Ah - sorry, forgot to turn the permissions back on. How about now? Fourth tab in the tab row...

steve

Yes I see it now, Thanks.

Gryzor

NP, thanks for letting me know - and enjoy!

Do try to upload a test file to check if all permissions work fine (we can delete it afterwards)...

Gryzor

Hello guys,

As you may have noticed, all available mags and games have been upped to the forum.

Can I ask you to use the downloads section and provide some feedback? I've had some issues reported (titles not found when searching, too few results/page) that I can't recreate, so I'd really appreciate some more users reporting...

Gryzor

Please note that due to a lazy script almost all downloads are not available at the moment. It's a very easy fix, but I need to be at home to do it, so please bear with me...

ervin

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:24, 17 April 12
Hello guys,

As you may have noticed, all available mags and games have been upped to the forum.

Can I ask you to use the downloads section and provide some feedback? I've had some issues reported (titles not found when searching, too few results/page) that I can't recreate, so I'd really appreciate some more users reporting...

I've downloaded a few games (to add to my HxC  :) ), and it's all gone fine.
Thanks for this service - it really makes cpcwiki feel much more "complete".

Gryzor

Quote from: ervin on 16:17, 23 April 12
I've downloaded a few games (to add to my HxC  :) ), and it's all gone fine.
Thanks for this service - it really makes cpcwiki feel much more "complete".

Thanks, I appreciate it. To tell you the truth I'd rather have them on the wiki itself but it would be so much more work...  And I think the system here works well enough. Now, if people were convinced to properly tag and comment and categorize all those 3500 files... :D

Oh, btw, if you guys haven't noticed, Downloads have been restored for the past couple of days.

Zeke

From someone who is new to this - how do I actually download the magazine files?
Never worry!

Gryzor

Quote from: Zeke on 18:58, 03 June 12
From someone who is new to this - how do I actually download the magazine files?

Maybe I should have ben clearer: there's a "Downloads" tab at the top, click it and it will take you to the downloads section (makes sense!) :)

Zeke

I did that - it was the downloads section that foxed me!`
Never worry!

Gryzor

Well, the downloads section is formatted like the forum itself. Go into the Magazines section, then into any specific mag's sub-section, click on the "post" with the issue you want and look for the file under the "Download Files" at the end of the post. If you can't find it I'll create some screenshots :)

Badstarr

This is great stuff! A little while ago I posted a couple of images (Prehistorik 2 and Super Cauldron) that I had trouble loading via my HxC. I had hoped that a few people would download them and confirm that their HxC devices did not like them either however, there have been no takers so far. So what I thought would be a better solution would be for me to post the images I fixed ready for the HxC so that these can be added to the downloads. I will dig them out and post them at some point today.
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

Gryzor

That would be nice. I don't remember that thread, or I would have tried these myself to tell you the truth.

But indeed - you can even upload the hfe archive itself...

PS Oh, and thanks :)

Badstarr

No worries Gryzor! I will upload the HFE images, I will use the ones I have on my HxC so just need to dig out my SD Card Adaptor, I'm always loosing it lol!
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

Gryzor

Heheh, same happens to me :)

kyjena

Quote from: Badstarr on 11:55, 05 June 12
This is great stuff! A little while ago I posted a couple of images (Prehistorik 2 and Super Cauldron) that I had trouble loading via my HxC. I had hoped that a few people would download them and confirm that their HxC devices did not like them either however, there have been no takers so far. So what I thought would be a better solution would be for me to post the images I fixed ready for the HxC so that these can be added to the downloads. I will dig them out and post them at some point today.

This hfe for supercauldron runs for me with my system (until i sell it gryzor  :D ).
Some pictures taken last minutes ago:

I've to find a good prehistorik II file because mine has also troubles after the intro screen.

Gryzor

Damn it looks beautiful...

So maybe it was a dsk issue?

kyjena

SuperCauldron is very beautifull and smooth moves. It comes from a dsk file from gamebasecpc on cpcpower. I convert it to hfe with soft provided by lotharek.
I'm looking for prehistorik II but 2 dsk versions (with and without protection) from cpcpower has trouble with hxc.
The protected version : we can see the introduction screen like this:

But after i've a sort of v-sync trouble in the game.

With the unprotected version hxc stop at block 38 and i have a blue screen.

kyjena

Quote from: Badstarr on 12:23, 05 June 12
No worries Gryzor! I will upload the HFE images, I will use the ones I have on my HxC so just need to dig out my SD Card Adaptor, I'm always loosing it lol!

I've used the convert batch from hxcfloppyemulator soft on the gamebasecpc directory, and after some minutes, my sdcard was full of games, all sort by alphabetical order...
No time and no game to loose!

This hxc is very a wonderfull tool. Thanks Lotharek