News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Spam problem with forum notifications - help needed

Started by Gryzor, 13:34, 16 November 21

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Hello people,

Lately I've been getting tons of bounces of emails sent from the forum - registrations, PMs, password resets, everything can get rejected from the recipient.

The error attached to the bounced email says:

The mail system

<recipient email>: host prod-pelbout-c-phx.jellyfish.systems[63.250.43.118]
said: 554 5.7.1 Rejected due to high probability of spam (in reply to end
of DATA command)

So it seems that servers using the jellyfish spam prevention tool reject it. However, I can see no way to remove cpcwiki from the jellyfish filters...

Anybody's got any ideas about it?

By the way, the forum uses an external email service; the forum processes the email queue and sends the messages through SMTP. This may have something to do with the problem since the user sending the emails is gryzor cpcwiki eu and the email service uses another domain provided by the registrar. However, the registrar says they're unable to help because I can't provide a complete original email from my Sent messages, as the forum doesn't save those messages and the email service doesn't keep messages sent through SMTP. If I send the exact same message that was rejected manually through webmail (same user), it goes through.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gryzor

Update: maybe it's time to look for another mail provider.

Found out that Jellyfish is actually a service developed and provided by Namecheap themselves. Now, Namecheap is our registrar and mail provider. So it seems they're selling us email services, and on the other hand they're offering spam prevention services that are blocking the email services they're selling to us :D Probably because they have spammers on their IP ranges... Great stuff.

Anyone knows of a cheap, reliable low-volume email service (SMTP is a must) we could migrate to?

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:03, 16 November 21
Update: maybe it's time to look for another mail provider.

Found out that Jellyfish is actually a service developed and provided by Namecheap themselves. Now, Namecheap is our registrar and mail provider. So it seems they're selling us email services, and on the other hand they're offering spam prevention services that are blocking the email services they're selling to us :D Probably because they have spammers on their IP ranges... Great stuff.

Anyone knows of a cheap, reliable low-volume email service (SMTP is a must) we could migrate to?

How about you send them an e-mail with the following content: "You are selling us email services and then blocking the email services you're selling to us... WTF!!??"

Bryce.

Gryzor

This is the email I sent them literally less than one minute ago:

Following up on this. I didn't realise that Jellyfish is a Namecheap product! So I'm buying email services from you, and these services are... killed by another service of yours? I mean I really don't know what more data to provide. The eml file I sent *is* the original as it was received by the privateemail server. All bounced emails refer to your own server blocking them. I guess Jellyfish regards it as suspicious because of other spammers on your services?

How can I prove I'm not a spammer? The emails themselves are proof enough... Short of changing service providers, what can I do to stop hitting my head against the wall?

Gryzor

Morning everyone,

After spending quite some time trying to:

a. haggle with support
b. research email service alternatives
c. trying to analyse the notifications the forum sends out and
d. trying to see if something had been compromised on the server and was sending spam email (who knows...)

@ralferoo stepped up and greatly helped with step c, walking me through the headers and possible issues. Not that that amounted to much because it appears the system is indeed pretty well set up, but he also gave me a couple of great pointers that led to someone from Namecheap actually looking into it and, finally, whitelisting our email!

I'm really grateful for the time he spent and the help he gave...

So now all emails from the forum are hopefully delivered; I say 'hopefully' because there is no logging and all I can see is the emails that bounce back to my inbox so who knows, maybe Namecheap decided to just stop bounce notifications :D

Please do let me know if you think that something is out of place!