News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Overhauling the c64 article

Started by Gryzor, 18:42, 30 October 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Hello guys,

After reading the CPC article over at c64-wiki.de I took a look at our own article on the c64. Nedless to say, it's funny, true, but, um, not up to the standard :D So I was wondering, since I don't have much experience with the c64, would anyone like to write a new one, or should we just copy the wikipedia article?

Same, but not to the same degree, goes for the ZX Spectrum article. I think we should keep the existing content, but only as complimentary or comment-like to a more complete entry...

Opinions?

AMSDOS

Gryzor wrote:

Opinions?

I thought we could be more Original by having Nothing!  ;)
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Gryzor

Trying to be the noblest man here :D

I'll just copy the wikipedia text...

fano

Original text is fun but you choice is wise  ;)
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

TFM

IMNO a _CPC_ Wiki is supposed to contain content about the _CPC_. It can also provide informations about other computes form the same company (as long as they share a certain degree of similarity). Further similar computers with the same CPU can be mentioned.

But I see no connection between the CPC and the commodore c64 (or other commodores). The CPUs are very different, the hardware is very different. They are out of different universes. Personally I would suggest the c64 article for deletion, but since somebody has invested work in it, I will not do that. (I never read this article to be honest).

Spectrum can be menioned, since it has at least a Z80.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

robcfg

Not to mention that the +2 and +3 models (for me the best and more functional Spectrum models) where made by Amstrad sharing certain parts of the CPC design.

TFM

Quote from: robcfg on 17:19, 01 November 10
Not to mention that the +2 and +3 models (for me the best and more functional Spectrum models) where made by Amstrad sharing certain parts of the CPC design.

Good point! This is way more important than the "Kotzmodore" (german way to cause Commodore ;-)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

I really can't understand how you can only see a connection in technical terms. We're talking about a microcomputer in a certain setting and during a specific era. I think it's only WAY TOO normal to speak about the competition. You can't really separate the two (or three)... we have some 3.5k (!!!!!!!!!) articles now, I think a couple of them can be devoted to the competition...

Btw, the wikipedia c64 article is awful, as far as wikipedia articles go; it's written by c64 fanboiz who don't understand how the wikipedia is or should be written...

robcfg

Well, I agree that to get the whole picture of the era you need to know what else was out there.

It wouldn't hurt to have some nice articles on some of the other machines, but I don't consider it a priority (you know, CPCManiaco has tons of material for me to scan...).

TFM

Hey mate, don't ask if you don't like the answer. It's wise not to ask every now and then, but if you ask, then you must be prepared for "unprepared" answers.  ;) :)

I don't think we need anything c64 related here, because I see no technical connection to it. And who would choose anything else than logic and technical specs as base of comparisons. If we take the c64 then we also can take anything else that is electronic.

However I have not problems with a c64 article in the cpc wiki, as long as is shows how superior we are  ;)

You call that biasd? I call it patriotism!

Have a great day!

Quote from: Gryzor on 20:15, 02 November 10
I really can't understand how you can only see a connection in technical terms. We're talking about a microcomputer in a certain setting and during a specific era. I think it's only WAY TOO normal to speak about the competition. You can't really separate the two (or three)... we have some 3.5k (!!!!!!!!!) articles now, I think a couple of them can be devoted to the competition...

Btw, the wikipedia c64 article is awful, as far as wikipedia articles go; it's written by c64 fanboiz who don't understand how the wikipedia is or should be written...
TFM of FutureSoft

Executioner

Quote from: TFM/FS on 22:52, 02 November 10
However I have not problems with a c64 article in the cpc wiki, as long as is shows how superior we are  ;)

I think our article should point out that the 6510 (6502) as used in the C64 at 1MHz is actually slower at 99% of operations than the CPC's Z80 @ 4MHz, and it doesn't have any 16 bit maths. A BBC Model B is twice as fast as a C64 :)

TFM

Quote from: Executioner on 00:49, 03 November 10
I think our article should point out that the 6510 (6502) as used in the C64 at 1MHz ...

Well, to be precise... the 6510 had in PAL countries only 985 KHz (not _even_ one MHz!). And it has no 16 bit adressing at all. Doing most of the things using this zero page really suxxXxx...
TFM of FutureSoft