News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

cpc wiki on FB ?

Started by cpc4eva, 14:13, 23 December 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

I bet if you search for DSK in France, the CPC doesn't get mentioned in the first 100 pages :D

Bryce.

P.s. I wonder why "Le Monde" is linked to Amstrad in any way???

cpcitor

Quote from: Bryce on 13:57, 06 January 15
I bet if you search for DSK in France, the CPC doesn't get mentioned in the first 100 pages :D

Hopeless. I haven't even tried.  :laugh:

Quote from: Bryce on 13:57, 06 January 15
P.s. I wonder why "Le Monde" is linked to Amstrad in any way???

30th birthday.
L'Amstrad CPC 464 fête ses 30 ans
Had a CPC since 1985, currently software dev professional, including embedded systems.

I made in 2013 the first CPC cross-dev environment that auto-installs C compiler and tools: cpc-dev-tool-chain: a portable toolchain for C/ASM development targetting CPC, later forked into CPCTelera.

Gryzor

The latest comments (AMSDOS, McKlain, cpcitor) are correct in that a.the problem is not about searching for cpcwiki (boy we'd be knee-deep in shite if cpcwiki didn't come up when looking for cpcwiki!) but for Amstrad and b.you must try doing that as anonymously as possible (I don't think even incognito tabs are 100% clean - sure, no cookie identifiers but lots of other crumbles...) (Bryce, is that screenshot from an incognito tab?).

For me, looking for Amstrad CPC in a private window gives me the site at #4 (#1 and #2 are Wikipedia in English and Greek, #3 is the YT video "20 games that defined the Amstrad CPC". Which is certainly weird, because no way that's more popular than CPCWiki, but it goes to show how Google manipulates result listings to promote videos thus skewing them. Really stupid, they could do it like they do with Images - in a separate section).

Looking for Amstrad, CPCWiki is #11. The first non-major result (Wikipedia or Amstrad PLC) is... WinAPE :) (if I switch to English CPCWiki rises to #9 on the first page).

So... Where does that leave us? Beats me. Any advice is more than welcome.

cpcitor

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:14, 06 January 15
Looking for Amstrad, CPCWiki is #11. The first non-major result (Wikipedia or Amstrad PLC) is... WinAPE :) (if I switch to English CPCWiki rises to #9 on the first page).

What language are the results before CPCWiki ?

Google probably favors pages in language supposed to be readable by the user in the country of request.

In the case of France, the first non-french-language result when typing "amstrad CPC" is cpcwiki. It's pretty strong actually: in France cpcwiki beats all non-french-speaking pages! Even english wikipedia or any other major site. 8)
Had a CPC since 1985, currently software dev professional, including embedded systems.

I made in 2013 the first CPC cross-dev environment that auto-installs C compiler and tools: cpc-dev-tool-chain: a portable toolchain for C/ASM development targetting CPC, later forked into CPCTelera.

AMSDOS

Youtube video, but coming up with one might take too much time. If you have one of those Games players make one up which just highlights what's on the CPCWiki it might get some more traffic and YouTube is Linked to Google isn't it?

I'm unsure if it would work though.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Gryzor

Well, the Facebook page has been up for a while but I'm not seeing much participation, even from those who advocated it ;)

AMSDOS

Reword "CPCWiki - THE Amstrad CPC encyclopedia" to "Amstrad CPC - The #1 CPCWiki Encyclopedia" on the Main Page??
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3