News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Have your say on the Wiki!

Started by Gryzor, 08:18, 22 September 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Hey guys,

These past few days, starting with the short downtime we had when we updated the server software, I've had some discussions with some of you which made me take a step back and take a look at the whole project.

The CPCWiki has been chugging along nicely for a few years now. Statistics vs last year show an increase of more than 20% in sessions and more than 8% in users (even though for a couple of months the wiki itself had stopped providing statistics due to an update that I didn't catch).

I was thinking, however, that maybe it's time to change things a bit, or maybe add more. This is where I'd like your input. Please let me know if you have any ideas about what you'd like to see implemented or changed, no matter how small or crazy it might sound. Criticism also welcome. You can do it either in this thread or send me a PM or an email - even anonymously (check out this for some ways to send anonymous email). Hopefully, enough ideas will be generated that we will be able to discuss them and maybe put them to a vote.

So, please, get your noggins together and say where you want the Wiki and/or the forum to go :)

Cheers
G

Bryce

Maybe I'm just easily pleased, but I like the Forum just the way it is :)

Bryce.

Gryzor

Well I like it too, but you know, better is the enemy of good and all that... :)

Bryce

Sorry, back again. We REEEEALLLY need a Face-palm / double face-palm omoticon!

Bryce.

robcfg

I also think the forum is good as it is now.

Sometimes more is not the same as better and I like to keep things simple.

Maybe a button to go back from the forum to the wiki's main page would be nice  ;)

Bryce

Quote from: robcfg on 09:39, 22 September 15
Maybe a button to go back from the forum to the wiki's main page would be nice  ;)

What's wrong with the "CPCWiki" button at the top of the screen that we have now?

Bryce.

robcfg

Nothing, but it points to the forum's main page, not the wiki's main page  :P

Singaja

From my point of view the most valuable stuff are the bits and pieces on programming (code snippets mostly) and hardware that popup in forum threads. This valuable knowledge is scattered all around the forum. Ideally maybe a bot could identify such posts and collect them in one place on the wiki. This may be hard to achieve though, I'm fully aware of it.

Bryce

Quote from: robcfg on 09:46, 22 September 15
Nothing, but it points to the forum's main page, not the wiki's main page  :P

Not on my computer. I don't mean the Logo, I mean the "CPCWiki" button between the "Home" and "Download" buttons.

Bryce.

robcfg

Ah...

How long has it been there?  :o

I guess the big nice CPCWiki logo makes everyone think it's the place to click to go back to the wiki.

Thanks for pointing that out! (I'm going to the doctor to see if I'm already blind... XD)

||C|-|E||

I really like the present status of the Wiki, to be honest. I do not see any problem with the design and how the things work  :) .Well, we could have a 6128 or a Plus in the logo, but besides that...  :D

AMSDOS

Quote from: Singaja on 09:58, 22 September 15
From my point of view the most valuable stuff are the bits and pieces on programming (code snippets mostly) and hardware that popup in forum threads. This valuable knowledge is scattered all around the forum. Ideally maybe a bot could identify such posts and collect them in one place on the wiki. This may be hard to achieve though, I'm fully aware of it.

It's possible to Bookmark a thread which comes in handy for future reference, though it's not possible to Bookmark a specific reply (if that's of any help for you or anyone), even though each reply gets it's own Anchored URL.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Audronic

@Gryzor

Please Ignore.

Is there a button on the Wiki to get back to the Forum (Or have i missed it ??)

OOOps yes its there right up the top of the page in my face   (ohhhh well new glasses ).

I will have to get a Braille monitor next.

Thanks   Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Gryzor

Hey guys, thanks for your answers and comments, anything and everything is welcome!

@Bryce : I'll see what I can do to add an emoticon for you, though I haven't seen a facepalm one anywhere :)

@robcfg : the link has been there for years, literally :D The logo pointing to the forum homepage is hardcoded and not customiseable; I *can* change it but it will change back to its default with the next update, so I would prefer to avoid that.

@Singaja : this is a great idea. Having a bot do the job would be much farther than my current AI-programming abilities I'm afraid, but indeed, with a bit of extra work we could identify relevant Wiki articles and maybe just insert a link in them?

@||C|-|E|| : the 464 is more iconic though, isn't it? :)

@AMSDOS : you're right about the restriction; but what you're asking for (which makes sense, btw) would mean adding the button to each post, adding more overhead for the server. I'll think about how it could be implemented though!

@Audronic : left-hand sidebar, under the "Wiki-related" section, "Discussion Forum" :)

Bryce

The Amibay Face-palm and double face-palm are quite nice.

@robcfg: We'll all just pretend you never asked the question :)

Bryce.

Gryzor

Ah, the :doh: one is nice, but I see no double face-palms?

Bryce

Gryzor

Ah, damn, was looking for yellow little heads. Thanks!

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:38, 22 September 15

@AMSDOS : you're right about the restriction; but what you're asking for (which makes sense, btw) would mean adding the button to each post, adding more overhead for the server. I'll think about how it could be implemented though!

Only just noticed this myself. Anyone could create their own user page on the Wiki, with their own collection of direct URLs if necessarily.  :D

Your Computer Programs

Gryzor

Well, you can use your User page for that!

||C|-|E||

Bryce icons are just great!! hahahaha

Bryce

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 12:10, 22 September 15
Bryce icons are just great!! hahahaha

And sometimes extremely useful... A picture tells a thousand words (and feelings).

Bryce.

Gryzor

:picard:

Ah, it works :) You can click on it above the post box or type:

:picard:

I'll add the rest later :)

Gryzor

...aaand double facepalm:

:picard2:

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:07, 22 September 15
Well, you can use your User page for that!

Or anybody else if they so desired...my user page is crammed with file links, but my discussion page could in theory hold useful direct links.

Your Computer Programs