News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Have your say on the Wiki!

Started by Gryzor, 08:18, 22 September 15

Previous topic - Next topic

AMSDOS

Not sure if I'm opening up a can of worms with this suggestion, initially I thought what this forum needs is a "Back in the Day" category, but I don't know to what end it would end (hence the Can of Worms). For example there's the "Old Hardware"/"New Hardware", "Old Games"/"New Games", "Old Applications"/"New Applications" and "Old Programming Languages"/"New Programming Languages".

I'm raising this now because of this thread, but apparently it was something which needed a "New School" solution.

So I thought that perhaps this will be becoming more of a regular occurrence in the Future, given the amount of new gadgets & software being produced?

But I don't know how it should proceed, if it could be implemented with minimum overhead, that maybe better than opening a new Category for example. By that I mean something like an Off-Topic Button or another Message Icon, though people may forget to use it if they are talking about the 80s/early 90s, which is where a Category for all that old stuff (Game, Programming, Hardware, etc) could go, though one would have Label in the Subject the category, or maybe not, I don't know.

* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

PulkoMandy

When does 2000-2010 fall into the "back in the days" category from the "new school" one?  :D

AMSDOS

Quote from: PulkoMandy on 10:51, 13 June 16
When does 2000-2010 fall into the "back in the days" category from the "new school" one?  :D

Well if it does, I've incorrectly assumed people were talking about the period from 1984-1995 when they were talking about 2000-2010.

Your Computer Programs

Gryzor

I'm really not sure what's special about that thread or what the new category (categories?) would include... can you make it a bit clearer?

Morn

Hi Gryzor!

Could you change the maximum file upload size on the Wiki to, say, 100 MB? 28 MB is simply not enough for some CPC books as PDFs — the high image compression ratio causes artifacting. I'd like to upload higher-quality versions.

P.S. The file in question is http://cpcwiki.eu/imgs/0/0d/Koch%2C_Intelligenz_in_BASIC.pdf , the text looks really bad in the 25 MB version. I have the 85 MB original I'd like to post.

Gryzor

Hello Morn!

Thanks for the comment. The limit is intentional because, even though the server can handle it, people tend to abuse largesse :D What we do is that whenthere's real need for huge files I up them through FTP. If you have a way to upload them somewhere let me know, otherwise I'll give you access :)

Morn

Maybe I could simply email the file to you if e.g. you have a Google account or something like that with lots of inbox space—or you could give me FTP access temporarily.

I don't really want to upload the file to a cloud hoster like box.com or Google Drive because strictly speaking, these book scans are copyright violations. So I feel they should go into the Wiki directly.

Gryzor

You can always upload it to drive as private, that's not against any laws, but sure, try emailing it to me :) I don't know what gmail's limit is, but my address is krakout.

Morn

OK, it looks like files > 25 MB need to use a Google Drive link anyway...

Morn

P.S. I've sent you another file, Gryzor.

SRS

Quote from: Morn on 15:24, 15 June 16
P.S. The file in question is http://cpcwiki.eu/imgs/0/0d/Koch%2C_Intelligenz_in_BASIC.pdf , the text looks really bad in the 25 MB version. I have the 85 MB original I'd like to post.

Klasse Buch. Kannte ich noch nicht.

Morn

Quote from: SRS on 19:56, 16 June 16
Yes, the disk image is also on the CPC Wiki. Also note the Wiki has categories for scanned books: Category:Scanned books - CPCWiki and AI books: Category:Artificial Intelligence books - CPCWiki

It's funny how AI research has come full circle and is finally as hot now in 2016 as it was in the late 1980s. Finally a lot of the things these books envisaged have come to fruition, e.g. image recognition and text translation. It just took much longer than anticipated.

Morn

Quote from: SRS on 19:56, 16 June 16
P.S. Gryzor has uploaded my original scan today, it really helps with legibility, especially the code samples and the light-blue text in the outer margin: [EDITED]

Gryzor

Apologies man, I edited your post; I would like the links to reside in the wiki itself, in the relevant articles, for obvious reasons...

Lazy Dude

Looking at the menu at the top of the forum page I don't see the option to go to the wiki site, as in  http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Main_Page
Sure it used to be there before, now I wonder where it could have got to.............   :blank:

Gryzor

This is true, I should add it again at some point.

Lazy Dude

AMSDOS

@Gryzor Is there a problem adding a Link back to the Main Page of the Wiki?

Your Computer Programs

Gryzor

Unfortunately, yes. It's a manual edit, and I promised myself I won't be doing any manual hack'n'slash to the new installation...

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:51, 28 December 16
Unfortunately, yes. It's a manual edit, and I promised myself I won't be doing any manual hack'n'slash to the new installation...

That's a shame, still it's better to be safe than sorry.

Your Computer Programs

Audronic

Hi Admin

The security settings for some photos are FAULTY i have been trying for 30 minutes to send a second photo as a .Jpg " FAILED " I then took a picture on my mac of the same photo as a .png " FAILED "
I still cannot send the photo ??????????????????????????????????????????

Please fix

Yours FRUSTRATED

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Gryzor

Man, you don't really offer much detail...

If you do a search on the forum, there is a long-standing bug within SMF where some photos will fail due to security restrictions, when they shouldn't. Trying to upload the same photo again, or another photo with the same filename, will fail again.

Audronic

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:07, 15 July 17
Man, you don't really offer much detail...

If you do a search on the forum, there is a long-standing bug within SMF where some photos will fail due to security restrictions, when they shouldn't. Trying to upload the same photo again, or another photo with the same filename, will fail again.
Hi Gryzor

OK thanks I will have to be Patient.
I am using a Mac and the Photos came from the new Photos Program, and from a screen shot Not via Photos.
Thanks

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Gryzor

Try to open the file in an editing program, save it again with another filename and try uploading again!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Lazy Dude

Superb, this must be the section to have a whinge about stuff!
Erm, so I stumbled upon an ancient thread about Amsoft catalogues and then got to this page....

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Amsoft_Software_Catalogue

Uhh, so are we likely to see the goodies, what happened?