News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Help needed with Wiki files

Started by Gryzor, 08:25, 13 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Hello guys,

@remax has prodded me to investigate something on the wiki.

It would seem there are lots of unused files on the wiki server. Take a look at http://cpcwiki.eu/index.php?title=Special:UnusedFiles&limit=20&offset=0 to see them for yourselves.

Actually, it's more than 3000 files! I really don't know what to make of that. On one hand I could probably whip up a script to batch delete them and be done with it. On the other hand, I refuse to accept that people actually uploaded 3000 files just to leave them hanging there with no purpose...

So, any thoughts would be welcome. If anyone's familiar with the mediawiki database, please do get in touch...

Thanks!

Ygdrazil

Hi Gryzor

Not as simple as that I am afraid.

Some of the files are linked from the forum (this is why the files are listed as unused), and therefore part of a forum post!

But not all of the them mind you :-)

I will browse through the list ....

Regards,
/Ygdrazil

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:25, 13 May 15
Hello guys,

@remax has prodded me to investigate something on the wiki.

It would seem there are lots of unused files on the wiki server. Take a look at http://cpcwiki.eu/index.php?title=Special:UnusedFiles&limit=20&offset=0 to see them for yourselves.

Actually, it's more than 3000 files! I really don't know what to make of that. On one hand I could probably whip up a script to batch delete them and be done with it. On the other hand, I refuse to accept that people actually uploaded 3000 files just to leave them hanging there with no purpose...

So, any thoughts would be welcome. If anyone's familiar with the mediawiki database, please do get in touch...

Thanks!

Gryzor

Yeah, that was one of my thoughts. (how did you find out by the way?). But why would someone upload a photo on the Wiki just to link to it from here?

Right now I'd like to pull a list of those files from the database. But for the life of me I can't find where (and if) the information about unused files is stored...

Thanks for the help :)

Ygdrazil

Hi Gryzor

hmmm...

Also old version of pages - use images..

Deleting all "unused" images would harm data-integrity!

Regards
Ygdrazil

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:35, 13 May 15
Yeah, that was one of my thoughts. (how did you find out by the way?). But why would someone upload a photo on the Wiki just to link to it from here?

Right now I'd like to pull a list of those files from the database. But for the life of me I can't find where (and if) the information about unused files is stored...

Thanks for the help :)

Gryzor

Yes, thought of that too. But, for instance, I found scans of magazines that are puzzling... and still, 3000+ files? Doesn't make sense...

gerald

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:41, 13 May 15
Yes, thought of that too. But, for instance, I found scans of magazines that are puzzling... and still, 3000+ files? Doesn't make sense...
I've also seen lot of user manual pages scan, where the wiki now have pdf.
I personally don't get why people load tons of page files instead of a properly formed pdf when it comes to mag/book/manual.
There are also lot of thumbnails.

Gryzor

Yeah, well, single pages have their use, too, since you can link to a specific one containing a review or a piece of info... I've used that quite a few times.

Thumbnails are automatically created.