News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Imageshack banning

Started by Gryzor, 09:01, 01 June 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Hello again,
Maybe you've noticed that Imageshack instituted a stupid policy according to which, if you post an IS-hosted image on a site, the reader has to have logged in to IS to see the images OR IS has to approve the site the pics appear on (!!); otherwise all you see is a placeholder with a url.
I think we should stop using IS altogether. If you don't want to upload your pics here at least use another service.
By coincidence I recently started testing Min.us. Here's a test:

Cheers
T

Bryce

The link to min.us doesn't work for me? What is min.us?

Bryce.

And C64s don't have rounded corners like that when viewed from above :D

Gryzor

Well, theoretically you could just point your browser to min.us, but I fixed the link for you :D

Min.us is an online gallery/sharing site, like Imageshack. I like it because it's quite minimal and nice...

Ygdrazil

Absolutly not, C64's used to make some nasty marks on the floor when dropped!  :)

/Ygdrazil

Quote from: Bryce on 09:05, 01 June 11

Bryce.

And C64s don't have rounded corners like that when viewed from above :D

Bryce

Did you deliberately drop it? Or was it an accident? :D

Bryce.

AMSDOS

Well I've uploaded by signature to it, though I didn't notice any problems with my Signature I had on IS. Agreed IS are a bunch of $#£! and even though I don't understand what's happening, isn't simply banning them going to create more headaches for other people? Or is this more to do if I let them in they decide the terms and force us to play their stupid game.

In my view all Intenet services will all eventually go to the Dogs eventually and people will be forced to pay or do without. Their only available at the moment to suck people in and eventually they'll suck money out of you once your hooked.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

dragon

Gryzor

@CP/M: by "banning" I don't mean I would introduce rules to the Apache to block Imageshack, but rather nudge people to stop using it :D My own sig pics were hosted on IS and I started getting those ugly default IS pics...

@Dragon: this looks nice and rich, pity it's only in spanish!

dragon

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:10, 01 June 11
@CP/M: by "banning" I don't mean I would introduce rules to the Apache to block Imageshack, but rather nudge people to stop using it :D My own sig pics were hosted on IS and I started getting those ugly default IS pics...

It mightn't be a bad idea to do a force block on IS, otherwise IS will get their way by utilising their unwanted promotional material all over the place and I personally prefer the Red X in a box over some Flashplayer rubbish. (I'd love to disable it, unfortunately certain websites utilise it for critical purposes)

And yeah I generally skip over "I think" as in:

QuoteI think we should stop using IS altogether. If you don't want to upload your pics here at least use another service.

"We should stop using IS altogether." has a more authoritive ring about it!  :police:

Quote@Dragon: this looks nice and rich, pity it's only in spanish!

Might as well make good use of the tool Dragon as offered while it's still Free[nb]It could cost your life one day!  :o [/nb]!

Your Computer Programs

andycadley

Hmm, I'm in two minds about this. On one hand, it's annoying, on the other I can sort of see their problem. There were other 'image sharing' sites that were basically just faking a frontend to imageshack so that someone else was getting the ad revenue whilst imageshack was providing all the bandwidth. Is getting a site exempted a particularly difficult (or expensive) thing to do?

Gryzor

I don't know. I did request for cpcwiki to be added to their trusted list a few days ago, but nothing came of it.

And, limiting your functionality to fend off the bad guys... shot in the foot.

McKlain

Maybe you should give mediafire a try. They play nice.

AMSDOS

There's a lot of them around, so rounding up all the good, bad & the Ugly Image uploaders is a good place to start (just don't use Google to Track them down!  ;) ).

Your Computer Programs

Gryzor

Well, anything that lets you embed thumbs (at least) is good. Though you have to consider that hosting images externally means that they'll eventually disappear, no matter what.

Devilmarkus

Why not upload your image as attachment? Then you have a thumbnail and can see it in fullsize, too...
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Gryzor

Yup - that's why I mentioned images disappearing on Imageshack and the likes...

AMSDOS

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 00:25, 03 June 11
Why not upload your image as attachment? Then you have a thumbnail and can see it in fullsize, too...

Quote from: Gryzor on 06:34, 06 June 11
Yup - that's why I mentioned images disappearing on Imageshack and the likes...

I was just being nice about it and upload images to Image Repositories like ImageShack since they catered for that sort of thing, rather than fill up this wiki domain.  :)  Though since there's a few Image Repositories floating around, ImageShack might reconsider what their doing if their business slows down!  ;)

Your Computer Programs