News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Issues with the forum

Started by Gryzor, 11:33, 04 March 23

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Yup, haven't had the time to troubleshoot unfortunately...  :(

Audronic

@Gryzor 

I am having problems logging in.
Also Some pages come up as blank

To login, I enter name- Password and it just sits there doing nothing, BUT if I choose an other category then the page MAY come up and it indicates that I am a registered user ??

Please help

Keep Safe

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Bryce

I've had that a couple of times too. It looks like the login process hasn't worked or got stuck. But if you go to a forum page you are actually logged in.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Yeah that has been bugging me (heh) for some time now. Server logs don't help, I think I need to start removing mods and see if it works :(

eto

"mark all messages as read" always ends with a broken page (but still marks all messages as read).

Reload on desktop brings me back to the forum, reload on mobile is stuck forever. I need to type in the URL again.

ervin

I'm still getting this every day when I try to load the forum.

This page isn't working at the moment
www.cpcwiki.eu can't currently handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500

It doesn't seem to matter which browser I use, or where I log in from (home or work).
It takes anywhere from 4 to 8 refreshes before the page finally loads.
:(

ComSoft6128

Quote from: ervin on 06:04, 04 July 23I'm still getting this every day when I try to load the forum.

This page isn't working at the moment
www.cpcwiki.eu can't currently handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500

It doesn't seem to matter which browser I use, or where I log in from (home or work).
It takes anywhere from 4 to 8 refreshes before the page finally loads.
:(
Unfortunately, using Chrome, same here. 

eto

it's surprising that it's only the first page and "mark all messages as read". 

Gryzor

Quote from: eto on 08:07, 04 July 23it's surprising that it's only the first page and "mark all messages as read".
Yup, and it's been driving me crazy. Admittedly I haven't had enough time to properly dive into it, but somehow when I try to reproduce it to catch the error it always works😂

Logs haven't been helpful, either. I disabled the one mod that runs on the homepage, but the problem persists... Maybe I'll have to do another clean install if I don't catch it in the server logs 😟

eto

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:29, 04 July 23Yup, and it's been driving me crazy.
I can imagine... I'm dealing with mysterious bugs on a daily basis in my job. Those are the most frustrating bugs, when it's hard to reproduce and impossible to log. 

3 observations:
- It only happens when navigating to https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum or https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/index.php. No other URLs have been affected in my case at least. 
- instead of reloading several times it also seems to be possible to just wait a couple of seconds (however, could not reproduce with 100% certainty)
- "mark all messages as read" also always has that effect. (but maybe because it redirects to the above mentioned URL)

Gryzor

Quote from: eto on 09:08, 04 July 23
Quote from: Gryzor on 08:29, 04 July 23Yup, and it's been driving me crazy.
I can imagine... I'm dealing with mysterious bugs on a daily basis in my job. Those are the most frustrating bugs, when it's hard to reproduce and impossible to log.

3 observations:
- It only happens when navigating to https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum or https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/index.php. No other URLs have been affected in my case at least.
- instead of reloading several times it also seems to be possible to just wait a couple of seconds (however, could not reproduce with 100% certainty)
- "mark all messages as read" also always has that effect. (but maybe because it redirects to the above mentioned URL)

-Yup, /forum/ loads /forum/index.php indeed. I haven't seen the issue on any other URLs either...
-Hm will try that.
-I don't use that functionality because I want to read everything when I can for moderation issues, but your assumption sounds correct. After all that button is an action on the main template.

I think I must make logging more verbose on the server. No idea how an error 500 will not be logged in error.log!!!

Off-Topic: ShowHide
Speaking of debugging obscure errors: we have a Realme robotic vacuum cleaner which has a known fault - many units stop charging. After trying for weeks to reset it, coax it, force it etc to charge, today I took it to the service center, only to get a call from the technician to ask me what precisely the error is because it's charging perfectly :D

Animalgril987

Took me 8 attempts to load the forum homepage today. Other forum pages that I had open in different tabs were fine.

ervin

Hmmm... something must have changed. The last 3 times I've visited the forum, it has loaded instantly!

eto

Quote from: ervin on 12:06, 06 July 23Hmmm... something must have changed. The last 3 times I've visited the forum, it has loaded instantly!
same here

Gryzor

Well, you know what? Remember what I wrote the other day about my robot vacuum? I discussed the server issue with a very knowledgeable friend of mine, tried to show him and it was running fine. So I guess the fix is to just report the problem to a technical person. If it happens again I'll ask my friend again. 

eto

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:47, 06 July 23Well, you know what? Remember what I wrote the other day about my robot vacuum? I discussed the server issue with a very knowledgeable friend of mine, tried to show him and it was running fine. So I guess the fix is to just report the problem to a technical person. If it happens again I'll ask my friend again.
happens with my family all the time: they have an issue for hours/days/weeks, I enter the room - and it disappears before I even do anything.

Gryzor

That's talent, my friend. 

ComSoft6128

Fine here too :)

Gryzor

Don't jinx it, guys... I think it's running on good will alone.

pelrun

Take a photo of your learned friend, print it out and stick it up facing a browser running the forum. You'll fool it into thinking it's being watched and it'll work perfectly from then on.

Gryzor

Quote from: pelrun on 02:32, 07 July 23Take a photo of your learned friend, print it out and stick it up facing a browser running the forum. You'll fool it into thinking it's being watched and it'll work perfectly from then on.
Now we're in advanced debugging territory... 

poulette73

I also confirm the proper functioning of the forum. Previously I had to refresh the page 5 or 6 times at each visit.
Since yesterday, the HTTP 500 problem has completely disappeared and the forum is working perfectly fine. 👌

Thanks Gryzor ! (and his friend 😁 )

Animalgril987

I can firm no issues for me either. :D

Gryzor

The juju holds... 

skylas

I had the same problems but now its ok. Just to mention that, when the problem existed, when I loaded a specific thread that was on my bookmarks, the problem never happened. In case it helps.
Web: https://amstradsakis.blogspot.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AmstradSakis
My programs (only BASIC):
RETRO-LOADSHEET ON AMSTRAD CPC!
PENALTY KICKS!
CAPITAL QUIZ!
CAPITAL QUIZ 2! (Reverse edition)
HEADS OR TAILS (ΚΟΡΩΝΑ/ΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΑ)
HEART CHASER 1,2,3!
BARBOUTI!
STROOPIE!
BUDRUMI!