News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New category created - Donors

Started by Gryzor, 10:25, 19 March 09

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Hello guys,

I went ahead and created a new category for those who have supported our hosting costs. Those who have should see a little medal next to their avatar.

Awwww ain't it cute? Send some money and it's yours! :D

If you have already donated but you se you're not included, then send some more - err, oops, I mean do let me know and I'll fix it!

Thanks once more, guys...

Cheers
Gryzor

PS Darn, no medal for me for some reason...

Longshot

Hello

When i've gave some bucks for the cpcwiki, i'd no real idea of the hosting cost (the main page have been updated with the annual price of hosting cost after i've donate)

I was supposing that a server was about 30€/month, and so, wiki needed 12 donators or less.

I'm very surprised. 1900€ seems to be a really super expensive cost.
Kangaroo, are you really spending 1900€ per year since 2006 ? (about 7600€ for 4 years ?!?)

It's indicated at bottom ot the main page that "Server space and bandwidth kindly donated by CMO Internet Dienstleistungen GmbH"
Is it kindly donated or not ?

I don't know how much storage space is necessary for the wiki, but is it really more than 160 Gb ? (http://www.dedibox.fr/)

Longshot

Gryzor

Well, I can't answer about the rest, but the fact that the space (I think aroun 12GB by now) and bandwidth (haven't checked it in a while, but was peaking at 15GBs/m) are donated doesn't mean we can't accept donations. It only means that the wiki will be there, donations or not...

Oh, and I don't think that most people would give €30, which is quite a bit of money!

Longshot

Quotebut the fact that the space (I think aroun 12GB by now) and bandwidth (haven't checked it in a while, but was peaking at 15GBs/m) are donated doesn't mean we can't accept donations

So for what else ?  ???
I thank thate the donation request was only intended for the wiki hosting.

QuotePlease consider helping with hosting costs (about 1900,00 Euro per Year) - all contributions go directly to our kind host, not our own pockets!

On the previous link (http://www.dedibox.fr/) you have a 160 Gb storage, 100 Mbits connexion server for 30€ / month...
The hosting for the wiki at CMO cost 160€ / month (with a storage and bandwith free ???:o

Gryzor

First of all, please do register an account and log in properly instead of just as guest...

Quote from: Longshot on 15:13, 30 March 09
So for what else ?  ???
I thank thate the donation request was only intended for the wiki hosting.

I'm not getting you... it's for the hosting, period. Did I let something else be implied? What I said was that yes, it's donated, but this doesn't mean it doesn't cost someone money, so if people can donate, it'd be great. That's all. Whether *I* donated it out of my pocket or if somebody else does, this is irrelevant.

I can't really talk about pricing and different companies - maybe Kanga's company has different pricing because they have different specs. I don't know. But whatever the cost might be it's still quite higher than the donations we receive...

Longshot

I just say that I do not see which "specs" can justify this cost. ???
(especially if the space and the bandwidth are paying)

I also think that a lot of people did not donate because the cost of the wiki was not indicated. I asked myself often the question the previous years.

Now it's difficult to believe that it cost really so expensively when it is possible to find solutions for 30 euro a month (with included bandwidth and storage)

Furthermore, to announce such a cost can have a negative effect on the donations. :o

If it costs 1900€ a year to Kangaroo, maybe would be it a good thing to propose him a cheaper host.
That would avoid to him wasting its money and the price for the donations would be accessible  ;D
Rhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

Gryzor

Welcome as a normal user :)

Three issues here:

-What you seem to fail to understand is that even if the host/bandwidth are donated, there is STILL someone incurring the cost (in this case, Kangaroo). It doesn't come out of thin air! So donations are still appreciated in order to make it easier for him to cover the rest of the costs not covered by donations
-Even with 30 euros/month we still don't have enough donations - nowhere near that
-Kangaroo runs his own company and he has donated the whole thing through it (CMO). Through CMO he provides the machine, the bandwidth and much, much needed technical support (I've received support I haven't seen anywhere else...).

Again, I must say I can't comment on the amount that Kangaroo indicated - but even with a cheaper host, donations still wouldn't cover the cost...

I hope it's a bit cleared now :)

Longshot

I reassure you your remarks are clear since the beginning for me. ;D
But I invite you to read me again. :-\

I thus will write one 4th time.

It's great that kangaroo make this server available freely for the cpc community.

For me, a hosting should not cost more 30€ per month.
I know that nothing is free, but the announced cost of the "hosting" is too much  :o

I understood well that the current donations are very weak.
I already explained the reasons for which they are it in my opinion.
(hosting price not announced or excessive price announced are reasons)

It is possible to mobilize more people but with the real costs of the market.
If it's written 1900€, lot of people will think it's really strange!

Now if you want still repeat another time that the wiki would exist without donation, that there not be enough donators, that you do not wish to go into the consideration of the price announced in the debate on the donation (whereas you speak about support) , the dialog will turn short. :-X
Rhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

Gryzor

Nahhh it's the first time you were absolutely clear yourself :)

I'll just remove the amount for now and we'll take it from there...

MacDeath

A wiki such as this cost 1900€/year ?
wow...

how can we donate ?

I won't donate a lot of course (yet even a few €uros are always welcomed I suppose), but I don't know how it works.

Devilmarkus

Quote from: MacDeath on 02:44, 07 February 10
A wiki such as this cost 1900€/year ?
wow...

how can we donate ?

I won't donate a lot of course (yet even a few €uros are always welcomed I suppose), but I don't know how it works.

LOL!
It only costs so much as it was .com
This one cost about 40€/year.
Except that we don't have a real root server, I think, it works well enough.
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release