News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New CPCWiki logo? Maybe a contest?

Started by Gryzor, 14:24, 09 October 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Hello guys,
When I was putting the wiki together I had spent quite some time figuring stuff out (boy, hindsight is soooo much better), and I only spent a couple of days coming up with a logo. I'm no gfx artist, so I merely threw together a few alternatives and picked the one that looked best.
However, ever since then it was supposed to be a temporary thing - which, eventually, stuck with us. Nothing more permanent, blahblah.
Sooo, how about we put out a call for artists to create a new logo? Maybe we could do a little contest? Maybe people could donate some prizes for it? I could, for instance, maybe give out some of the titles in my collection (free choice from a list, perhaps), or a 3.5" drive...

Any interest? What do you think?

Zetr0

@Gryzor

I would like to print out and laminate the logo for this site - this would be displayed with the Amstrads on show at blackpool - at the bottom would be this site's URL

Hopefull Replay patrons will see some of the Awesome behind the CPC range and and come here to find out more =)

The event is on the 5th of November - so if you can have a new Logo up by the 4th then I can print it and laminate for the show =)

no rush ;)
If I had a hammer.....

Gryzor

Heh, this would be cool, have the new logo unveiled at the event :D

I just hope our pixel artists see this thread... But before getting there I merely wanted to gauge reactions regarding a possible compo.

Bryce

Are there any limitations? What size should it be? Does it have to be Mode 2 compatible :D ?

Bryce.

TFM

Quote from: Bryce on 22:41, 09 October 11
Are there any limitations? What size should it be? Does it have to be Mode 2 compatible :D ?

Bryce.

Actually I would prefer CPC screen mode 3.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Well, if someone could make something resembling mode 2, why not? :) As for the size, it would have to be usable on the site, I guess!

norecess

Just to make sure, you want the exact same width - height size as current CPC WIKI logo replacement ?

I noticed the one on main page is not the same size that the one on forum. No artist would accept to see his work resized.

Can it be a large banner instead of a squared bitmap ? Do you want both ? (one for the main page which looks squared, and a big banner for the forum)

Please give us the specs (for both "sprite" version and "banner" version), I have someone to contact but I want the good requirements before.

Gryzor

No real specs, I'm afraid. The logo on the forum is the same size as on the wiki itself, but a logo must be able to be used on all sorts of occasions... Not sure about what you say about artists - logos are *supposed* to be resized all the time :D

Say, I just took a look at the site's stats. 1920x1080 visitors are on the rise significantly, so it would seem that at some point in the future we'd need to put a bigger logo on the page, anyway.

If we could make a new banner out of it, all the better - I made the banner out of necessity for the Topsites list alone, after all.

So, the only spec I could probably give is: "square-ish" and on a transparent background so it can be used seamlessly. But I'd say that the logo we see here is about the smallest we'd need, size-wise. If it's a vector design all the better, but a good bitmap that can be downsized works, too.

Please do give more feedback, I really appreciate it...

tastefulmrship

How about instead of only having one CPC-Wiki logo, we have a whole set of them; not unlike pouet.net, AMP or even Push'N'Pop. To simplify it somewhat, we could just have a logo-of-the-day & have it change at 00:00 (server time). These logos could show off different aspects of the CPC machines; the graphic capabilites, games, demos, hardware and (of course) the people who still program on them.

No?

Gryzor

This is an excellent idea; Mediawiki and SMF (our forum software) only support random logos for each page load, not at time intervals, but I guess a script to change the specific logo.png on the server is not that hard to figure out :)

The real problem is, I doubt we'll have enough entries to do that... :(

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Gryzor on 17:54, 10 October 11
The real problem is, I doubt we'll have enough entries to do that... :(

We have some of the best 8-bit artistic talent in the world, I'm sure they'll come up with the goods! ^_^

Gryzor

Indeed, some really talented people in here. That's why I put the idea forward :) Let's hope they notice this and feel motivated.

So, how about the compo idea? Anyone willing to contribute some small prizes?

norecess

It's not enough. Give real specs ("need banner of 1024x256") otherwise I will not contact the awesome gfxman I have in mind :) Logos are not made to be resized, hope you understand..

Gryzor

I beg to differ. As someone with experience in 8 years of marketing and brand management I can tell you that there's no single logo that's not supposed to be resized. That's why logos are always drawn in vectors, so that you can resize the heck out of them.

Maybe we mean different things? Maybe you mean skewing the logo (which is, indeed, not allowed)? 

Anyway, specs: 1280x1280, Illustrator format? If he (or anyone else) doesn't use Illustrator then whatever tool is in hand! Oh, and different dimensions will not disqualify the entry :D

You see, we don't need a banner, we need a logo. When we have the logo we can think about banners...

Big thanks to your awesome gfxman - gfx on your page are inded delicious :)

norecess

How can you ask a "pixel artist" to destroy his art by resizing it ?  :-\

Blah.. let's continue to use the current CPC Wiki logo, it's good looking after all and people get (positively) used to.

Gryzor

Ahhh but see, you're talking about pixel art. I didn't mention pixel art!

For pixel art I guess a maximum of 220x120 sounds about right, what do you think? (But this is very small for someone who won't do pixel art)

Zetr0

Is there a gaming mascott for the CPC range?

y'know how like Sega has Sonic, Nintendo has Mario and arguably the Spectrum has Manic Minor - is there anything as iconic for the CPC?
If I had a hammer.....

redbox

Only the Croco really, but that was in France.

steve

Sonic had his own game, does croco have any games?

Zetr0

whats the first game you think of when you think CPC?
If I had a hammer.....

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Zetr0 on 19:56, 10 October 11
Roland In Time, Roland In The Caves, Roland On The Ropes, Roland On The Run, Roland Goes Square Bashing, Roland Goes Digging & Atom Smasher... but I can't find a link!

TFM

Trantor the last Stormtrooper :-) That is impressive :-)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

McKlain

Head over Heels.

Gryzor

...Gryzor.

Oh hell, this is pointless :D Maybe a rotating logo with different characters, then?

TFM

But how to realize moving JPG like rotating characters on paper? Liquid crystals?
TFM of FutureSoft