News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New modifications

Started by Gryzor, 12:31, 21 March 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Hello guys!

Today I reinstated the Flags mod (as you can all see, Markus hails form Zimbambwe!), and I also installed another mod that produces a nice alert when you get a PM, instead of the js window.

But, I'd like to ask you, the users, what other modifications you'd like to see. There are quite a few out there, so you can go over them here and request for them to be installed. Of course, not all of them will work and, of course, let's not start requesting silly things :D

Btw, going over the moderation etc modifications made me realise how behaved we are as a community, and how much trouble-free... great work :)

Gryzor

Btw,  WYSIWYG editor enabled. This should work when you press ctrl+B or something relevant in the edit box. The tags won't show, unless you press the last icon (Toggle View) in the tools icons row...

PS ok, this is a circus...

Gryzor

Two new themes installed, ModernDark64 and MysticJade.

Both are dark, and both are nice, but they need some fine-tuning. If there's enough interest, I may fix the issues...

Devilmarkus

Nice...
but I dont understand this:
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/9310/logoky3.png
Why is this used as logo?
Why don't you upload it on our server?
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Gryzor

Ahem :D

As I said, the new themes have some issues. One of those issues is the logo source!

Devilmarkus

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:11, 21 March 10
Ahem :D

As I said, the new themes have some issues. One of those issues is the logo source!

Indeed... the new themes use the same image-URL like the old ones  8)

MacDeath

Well, thx for the flags, hope it won't crash the server this time  ;D .

As I already asked for, Amstrad's oriented smileyz would be sweet of some exist yet.

And, perhaps something like the flags, but displaying the kind of Amstrad we have or like...
Like a mini 464, or 6128+ and so on...

But this may actually be a silly stuff.

Octoate

I had to disable the WYSIWYG editor in the forums, otherwise it was impossible to write any text into the inputfield (using Opera).
--

Gryzor

No - I use Opera as my primary editor. You have to click on the first line of the input field, and it works. The box is active, it just (for some reason) catches clicks only in the first line... Took me a while to see it since I use TAB to move around, but I did see it before announcing it, and it's really useful as a feature...

Octoate

Ah, ok - that works now. Anyway - I will leave it disabled. The board syntax isn't that hard :).
--

nocash

> I had to disable the WYSIWYG editor in the forums,
> otherwise it was impossible to write any text into the
> inputfield (using Opera).
Thanks !!! Opera released an update the same day, and I thought it was a bug in the browser update (which included some nasty surprises, too).

Oh my god, WYSIWYG! ;-)
Wasn't that a 50 years old scifi idea? And people sound found out that it doesn't work?

> No - I use Opera as my primary editor. You have to click
> on the first line of the input field, and it works.
It doesn't. Clicking the first line helps sometimes. But if you want to paste something, you need to repeat it a couple of times until it works (or maybe one most also hit the "correct" horizontal location?) Linefeeds are totally bugged, sometimes inserting blank lines with wide spacing, then blank lines suddenly dis/re-appear once when editing text at other locations, pasting "["code"]" doesn't work (hides all space characters), the text isn't drawn at fixed positions, sometimes all characters "jump or scrolls" left and right randomly. In short: forget about it, it doesn't work.

I thought/hoped that the wysiwyg had died long ago. The only thing that it HAS been good for was sarcasm in punk rock songs, saying "what you watch in TV is exactly what you deserve in real life" :-)

Okay, disabled it, now I can see what I type, that's much better, big relief!
But keep in mind to disable it by default!!! Otherwise, I guess that other existing users (and new users) will soon stop using the forum, because it's such a painful experience to type-in some text!

mr_lou

I can't find anywhere to set themes...  :(
Where do I choose a dark theme?

Gryzor

@Mr_Lou: Under Profile, go to the section Modify Profile->Look and Layour link and click Change next to the theme it says you're now  using.
@nocash: well, mate, I'm as geek as they come, what with my Space Invaders tattoo (preparing a Gryzor one), my arcade cabinet at home and my being the only one who enjoys working with a terminal to connect to our ERP server at work, but this doesn't mean that I find using the mouse to make something bold or (got forbid) inputting the tags manually to be better than simply pressing ctrl+B.  Be all the neo-ludite you want, but WYSIWYG has settled in for twenty years now and it works well :D
Now, to the problem at hand: Today I upgraded to 10.51 myself, and the problem is still the same, but it has never failed to work when I click on the first line of the edit box!!! Either with 10.50 or 10.51.

Pasting works ok for me as well. Can you try going into a bit more detail regarding the rest of the problems?

Btw, regarding browsers, here's an interesting graph from the site's stats:

IE still holds a despicable 20% but it's quite ok :D Interesting ones: Opera Mini (who checks the site from their mobiles anyway?) and PS3!!

Gryzor

AND YES!
Multi-quotes are now possible! Just multi-quote all the messages you want and then press "Reply". Presto! the quotes are all below :)

example multi-quote:

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:31, 22 March 10

No - I use Opera as my primary editor. You have to click on the first line of the input field, and it works. The box is active, it just (for some reason) catches clicks only in the first line... Took me a while to see it since I use TAB to move around, but I did see it before announcing it, and it's really useful as a feature...
Quote from: Octoate on 13:40, 22 March 10
Ah, ok - that works now. Anyway - I will leave it disabled. The board syntax isn't that hard :) .
Quote from: Octoate on 12:25, 22 March 10
I had to disable the WYSIWYG editor in the forums, otherwise it was impossible to write any text into the inputfield (using Opera).

Bryce

Hmm, I browse the Wiki with Konqueror 3.5.8, why doesn't this show up in the stats?  :(

Bryce.

nocash

> but WYSIWYG has settled in for twenty years now and it works well
You mean in computers... or in politics? I think both have failed for more than 20 years, and there's no end in sight :-)

> it has never failed to work when I click on the first line of the edit box!!!
No, no. After clicking the first line, I can start typing, but THAT is the point where the problems begin: Simple linebreaks can be entered only with SHIFT+ENTER... that works... but there seems to be a timeout, and after five minutes they get auto-converted to the nasty wide-spacing linebreaks. Horizontal position of the window seems to be calculated by... what? floating point maths? at least it has rounding errors and randomly changes from to x to x+/-1 pixels every once and when.

It's been a terrible experience. Well, at that time I still thought that it's a browser bug, thus being an unwanted effect. Now if I reconsider it being a wanted intended effect... I am totally puzzled... The wide spacing between lines... okay, that could be a matter of taste... but the random elements? That's the point about randimly changing the position of the paragraphs? I think it's feeling extremly unpredictable.

Gryzor

The rest of the browser stats:

11.   Konqueror    3    0.04%   
12.   Galeon    1    0.01%   
13.   IBrowse    1    0.01%   
14.   Playstation Portable    1    0.01%

So there you have it :D

Btw, the relevant OS stats:

Gryzor

Quote from: nocash on 10:44, 25 March 10

> it has never failed to work when I click on the first line of the edit box!!!
No, no. After clicking the first line, I can start typing, but THAT is the point where the problems begin: Simple linebreaks can be entered only with SHIFT+ENTER... that works... but there seems to be a timeout, and after five minutes they get auto-converted to the nasty wide-spacing linebreaks. Horizontal position of the window seems to be calculated by... what? floating point maths? at least it has rounding errors and randomly changes from to x to x+/-1 pixels every once and when.

It's been a terrible experience. Well, at that time I still thought that it's a browser bug, thus being an unwanted effect. Now if I reconsider it being a wanted intended effect... I am totally puzzled... The wide spacing between lines... okay, that could be a matter of taste... but the random elements? That's the point about randimly changing the position of the paragraphs? I think it's feeling extremly unpredictable.

Ok, lemme check the linebreaks thing. I'll hit SHIFT+ENTER now:
yup, it worked. Again:
works again. The thing I notice is that when you do that the entire text is moved a bit to the right but once you start typing it goes back to where it should be, and in any case does not affect anything. I guess that might be what you mean by 'rounding errors'?

[1213 local time]Now I'm going to wait for a few minutes to see if line breaks result in new paragraphs... 
[1231 local time] nope, nothing bad has happened. What on earth are you doing mate? :D

Devilmarkus

My Amiga is not shown here :(
I once used the forum from my Workbench :D

mr_lou

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:36, 25 March 10
@Mr_Lou: Under Profile, go to the section Modify Profile->Look and Layour link and click Change next to the theme it says you're now  using.

I must be blind then, because I can see no such link or anything.
I also tried pressing CTRL+F to search the page for words like "Theme" and "Change", when the "Look and Layout" page (and others) was loaded.

Devilmarkus

mr_lou

Bryce

I can access the Choose a theme through the link above, but if I go to the Look and Layout section I don't see any theme or way of choosing it?

Bryce.

Edit: And choosing a different one has no effect on anything I see? Do I have to re-logon to see the difference?

Edit 2: Nope, changing themes doesn't work here either, even after logging on again.

MacDeath

Quotethe relevant OS stats:
Were are SymbOS and FutureOS ?

Also I've seen on the news that a guy used tweeter with an old Commodor VIC.

Can we get stuff like this on CPC or PLUS ?

Gryzor

-Concerning the theme change: er... yes. Apologies, it was turned off for normal users. Can you try again? But do bear in mind that modifications are per theme, so I'd have to install the mods into a specific theme for it to work...

-About Workbench and other OSes: I had done it myself one time (heck, will be a good few minutes to do it again) trhough WinUAE's TCP/IP stack. But these figures here only show the last few days. Lemme try and capture a total...