News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CLUSTERMAP!

Started by CPCLER, 21:34, 05 March 08

Previous topic - Next topic

CPCLER

Hi Gryzor

What about installing a link to Clustermaps, this way everybody can get a clear picture of where the visitors of the CPCWIKI comes from!

Its very neat ... and is used on eg the Gambas site:

http://gambas.sourceforge.net/

the clustermap of the gambas site:

http://www3.clustrmaps.com/counter/maps.php?user=d7b3ed83

Location of clustermaps:

http://clustrmaps.com/

Regards,
CPCLER!

PS. Its pretty simple to install, a single line of HTML need to be appended to the index.php file of CPCWIKI!

Gryzor

Mmmmmm nice!

The problem is, it can only go to the very bottom of the page, which is a bit heavy already. I can't insert it into the page's content, which is a shame, but I'll try it!

Cheers
Th

CPCLER

Hi Gryzor!

I actually thought about replacing the worldmap image already displayed on the the main page! Is it impossible to embed HTML in MediaWiki?

But a place in the bottom of the main page would be nice also I guess. Clustermaps is really nice feature!

Maybe the icons in the bottom of the page could be arranged to appear side by side? :-)

Regards,
CPCLER

Gryzor

Aaaaah! I found it!

I can enable external images. I was looking for it since that question about linking to the magazine pages on the server... and I now found it :)

I'll enable it tonight, probably! So we can replace the map image up there.

Thanks for the ideas, mate!

Gryzor

Can you try it? I have problems, because the url is not an image but a call to a php script that calls the image itself. I tried the alternative method they provide, but a. I don't know if it works, b.no clicking on it...

Gryzor

By the way, external images are now enabled :) So you can link to magazine scans!

CPCLER

Hi Gryzor!

Hmmmm. I cannot click on the small image, and get into the more detailed image :-) Weird!

I cannot see the reason why a simple line of HTML cannot execute on the CPCWIKI mainpage! (Its basically just a link to an external image with a link to an address on the clustermap server)

I think the way Clustrmaps works is to log the IP address of where the thumbnail image is send... So no need to execute PHP scripts on the CPCWIKI server! Its plain HTML, from a user perspective :-)

Does it work when put in the bottom of the page (outside - wikigenerated content) ?

Thanks for your effort in implementing new ideas and concepts. I know it can be a real hassle sometimes to maintain larger website :-)

Regards,
CPCLER

Gryzor

The problem is that Mediawiki (the software behind CPCWiki, Wikipedia and myriads of others) does not support HTML parsing. There have been some attempts but with no results, AFAIK. So far it can only read image URLs and that's why I was able to insert the link by configuring the php file, but it cannot parse the <a href...> tag around it so that it can be clickable. So I had to use a separate link, but it works pretty good now.. not?

If I put it at the bottom it would work - the footer is the only place you can place HTML since it's not PHP-generated from the wiki database. But I think it's better where it is!
turning point

CPCLER

Its excellent where it is now! And very interesting to see, where CPCWIKI users come from! :-)

/CPCLER

Gryzor

Indeed it is! awesome, really :)