News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Shoutbox or not?

Started by Gryzor, 09:40, 23 September 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Do people want a shoutbox on the front page or not?

Yes
7 (17.1%)
No
19 (46.3%)
Yes, the paid version
1 (2.4%)
Don't mind, don't care.
14 (34.1%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Gryzor

What it says above.

By the way, the paid version is this: SMFPacks Shoutbox Pro . If people think the features are good, we've had enough donations to get it :)

robcfg

I don't mind having the shoutbox, but honestly I won't be using it at all.

Gryzor

"Don't care" option added :D

tastefulmrship

Well, as a source of interesting titbits (by others than me, I may add!) and a place to vent live demoparty issues (I'm looking at you; 4k and 8k PC demo compos), I would (unsurprisingly) prefer that the ShoutBox remains.

I realise this is a games and hardware biased forum and I am nothing more than a "singleton in a crowd", but there's really nothing other than my music releases that I'm (personally) interested in, here. Especially as the CPC demoscene is very secretive and (almost) non-existant (now that P'n'P has shut down); the CPC needs something to keep the whole demo-scene alive!

Also. I'd prefer not to waste the database with numerous demoparty threads that will be dominated by @MaV, @rexbeng and myself... and sometimes @Grim! ^_^

EgoTrip

If the shoutbox went down on 21st September and it comes back to life 3 days later on the 24th, then it will be the jesus of shoutboxes.

I'm personally not bothered about it either way.

Gryzor

Bryce

Gryzor

Shaun M. Neary

Voted no on this one.
In theory it's a good idea, but in practice, it clutters up the forums front page. There's just not enough people using it to justify it's remaining.

That and many people confuse it for a search engine.

Now that vote could be easily overturned to a yes if there was an option to place it at the bottom of the forum instead with the sounds disabled by default. That would be a better solution.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Gryzor

But... the shoutbox can be collapsed so it only takes up one line...

TotO

Actual results look like "shoot box"!  ;D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

TotO

haha...
In this case, it miss the second No option: "I don't want my funds go to the pay version"
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

That would be either No or Yes.

TotO

False, because you add the two yes choice against only one no choice.  ;D
(it is oriented to have more YES than NO ... Logicaly you said right, but peoples are not logical)

Gryzor

What you say is not valid; yes, I know all about bias with multiple questions in polls, but in this case it is not so. It just boils down to yes, no, I don't care. What, do you want me to add a "No, the paid option"? :D

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:55, 23 September 16
But... the shoutbox can be collapsed so it only takes up one line...

Yeah but that's a pain when 1) You're on multiple devices, I work with several different machines and the settings aren't tied to the user, and 2) occasionally I get auto logged out and when I log back in there, it is again. I just think it's a lot less invasive down the bottom rather than up the top.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

TotO

No, I don't want because it is a biased choice.  ;D

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:10, 23 September 16
What you say is not valid; yes, I know all about bias with multiple questions in polls, but in this case it is not so. It just boils down to yes, no, I don't care. What, do you want me to add a "No, the paid option"? :D

mr_lou

I still don't understand why we don't just add a button to IRC. There are a few CPC IRC channels already that we can just lead visitors to if we're too lazy to create our own.

Then we'll also be ready for when the first CPC IRC client has been coded.  :)

Gryzor

Why would we do that? Ok, I could maybe add a link to the top bar to an irc server/channel... but then we're just doing a links collection :D

mr_lou

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:52, 23 September 16
Why would we do that? Ok, I could maybe add a link to the top bar to an irc server/channel... but then we're just doing a links collection :D

We could embed a javascript client, like this: IndieGameMusic.com - The Music Resource For The Indie Game Developer

Gryzor

Sure, that would be just another page on the server, and I bet it wouldn't be used at all...

mr_lou

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:55, 23 September 16
Sure, that would be just another page on the server, and I bet it wouldn't be used at all...

Well, it would (hopefully) satisfy the few who wants a shoutbox, while removing it from the frontpage, and offer a place on CPCwiki to connect to the CPC IRC channel that'll probably be used more when the first CPC IRC client has been created. It really is a very small page to create, hardly takes up any space. I don't see what the problem is.

Gryzor

Just that it would not be used. Anyone can use IRC anywhere, the issue is not having a chat room somewhere, no matter what, but something integrated. Whether that page was on the cpcwiki server or anywhere else on the web at all would make no difference from the moment it's not integrated...

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:59, 23 September 16
Just that it would not be used. Anyone can use IRC anywhere, the issue is not having a chat room somewhere, no matter what, but something integrated. Whether that page was on the cpcwiki server or anywhere else on the web at all would make no difference from the moment it's not integrated...

IRC?! Great Scott, Marty, back that DeLorean up, we need to reach 88mph!

Seriously who uses IRC today? the same people who listen to Long Wave radio? In the age of the likes of Google Hangouts, Facebook group chats and Skype messaging amongst others, I'm shocked that IRC still exists. There's probably still ICQ clingers on out there too...