News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

MAGAZINES NOW ONLINE!!!

Started by Gryzor, 16:30, 06 May 07

Previous topic - Next topic

scheeba

Well, there's always the option to use rapidshare/megaupload or one of those free file hosts. Wouldn't have to worry about having enough seeders then. I think it'd be useful to have as a second option, if nothing else.

QuoteI'm not too sure about doing this.  Not only would the mags not be archived nicely online, but I'm pretty sure Future Publishing wouldn't be too pleased.
I can't see bittorrent being any worse than having the pages downloadable elsewhere. I doubt Future would be a problem anyway, they mostly seem to take action if people are trying to sell digital copies online, as opposed to just freely distributing them. There's certainly been trouble with that in the past.

redbox

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:43, 25 December 09
Does anyone know of a good system to avoid leeching, then?

Depends on how they were being leeched. If you mean by hotlinking, then you can prevent this by using a htaccess file...?

Johnny Olsen

Quote from: Nreive on 17:52, 23 December 09
but I'm pretty sure Future Publishing wouldn't be too pleased.

I think that John Kavanagh had an agreement with Future Publishing about the Amstrad Action mags.

The Magazine is online here.

http://cpcoxygen.fxwebdevelopment.com/

Nreive

Quote from: scheeba on 20:38, 29 December 09
I can't see bittorrent being any worse than having the pages downloadable elsewhere. I doubt Future would be a problem anyway, they mostly seem to take action if people are trying to sell digital copies online, as opposed to just freely distributing them. There's certainly been trouble with that in the past.
I'm working as part of a magazine preservation website (http://www.outofprintarchive.com/) and from what we have heard from publishers, etc. is that torrenting is not viewed in a good way.  It's a matter of respect, not only to the publishers, but to the editors, writers, designers, that the work they have done should be presented in the best way possible.

Quote from: Johnny Olsen on 01:11, 30 December 09
I think that John Kavanagh had an agreement with Future Publishing about the Amstrad Action mags.

The Magazine is online here.

http://cpcoxygen.fxwebdevelopment.com/
Yes, he did indeed, and a great website it is.  I didn't know they still hosted the scans there.  That's how I'd prefer to see AA preserved online, rather than some random hidden torrent file doing the rounds around the net. 

I see that there is a list of people who scanned the issues there.  Does anyone know where I can find some of these guys? (Travis Penery, John Coulthard, Andy Buckland, Michael Hansen, James Churchill, David Wykes, Chris Sweeney, Phil Jackson, John Kavanagh, Chris Roushias, Steven Letchford, etc. )

Incidently, what's happening with CPC Oxygen Phase II?
Retroaction - the digital retrogaming magazine

CPCIak

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:26, 22 December 09
Well. The mags were taken down because of lots of leeching. It's very sad, isn't it?
Maybe we can discuss uploading them again now on the new server... Markus? :)
What do you think about giving passwords only to registered people for downloading? Maybe a limited download contingent per day, too...

scheeba

Another alternative would be to prevent downloading at all, having the pages be view-only, providing a separate zipped archive on another server for people who wanted to download complete sets.

Nreive

Quote from: scheeba on 18:05, 30 December 09
Another alternative would be to prevent downloading at all, having the pages be view-only, providing a separate zipped archive on another server for people who wanted to download complete sets.
Good idea.  This is similar to what we do at www.outofprintarchive.com/: provide a page for each magazine issue with editorial/issue details and issue contents, a selection of viewable pages from the issue, and a link to the archived magazine (which is stored on an online storage website).
Retroaction - the digital retrogaming magazine

Gryzor

Thanks for your ideas guys...

I had tried htaccess, it seems it didn't work. I tried other tricks as well, but in the ends I saw huge amounts of downloads in the logs. Obviously, current downloaders-leechers are more advanced than my knowledge about it :(

I agree that having them and rpeserving them online would be a much better solution than a seedy (har, har) torrent. Thos mags are just worth more than that.

Having the separate pages online would be one idea (and there's probably software that creates online galleries automagically), but this wouldn't stave off leeching 100% (someone could just start leeching individual pages)... Would it?

@Nreive: this solution would be much too time consuming :(

It's a real shame, really. It seems people are unwilling to pay the 5-6 euros it costs for the DVDs to be sent to them...

I'll start thinking about the page-per-page solution. If anyone knows of some software that will read images from a directory and serve them, please let me know!

Bryce

Hi CPCIak,
        the link to CPC Attack and the second Amstrad Action link are identical. Is this correct?

Bryce.

CPCIak

Ooops - I've corrected the links.

Gryzor

I wanted to upload them to HotFile, but I couldn't find a proper uploader to do the job. Plus, I wanted to upload each mag in its own archive... Oh well.

Thanks for doing that, CPCIak, really useful. Can we post the links on the wiki?

CPCIak

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:41, 18 January 10
Thanks for doing that, CPCIak, really useful. Can we post the links on the wiki?

Yes, of course.
I didn't upload the mags to megaupload! I've found the links in a Spanish forum ;)
http://amstradcpc.mforos.com
http://amstradcpc.mforos.com/305097/8279569-material-amstrad-en-descarga-directa-ftp-s-enteros-recopilaciones-etc/

Gryzor

Ah, good - credit should be given.

That site has TONS of other mags and stuff, if anyone's interested...

sorenbunnyjensen

Quote from: ZilogMonkey on 00:47, 22 December 08
Hi Gryzor

I have the hires scanns of the danish mag: Amstrad Bladet ..

Where can I upload them?

/ZilogMonkey

I would love those scans!! Could you add me your MSN l?

my add is madmountainbiker@hotmail.com

thanx!

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:30, 06 May 07
http://cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Mags :)

Hi Gryzor, I followed that link, there is mentioned that all that server is sponsored by Kangaroo. Is this historic or did I miss something?
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Ygdrazil

Hi Søren

I have no MSN  ;D

I am thinking about uploading the stuff to a FTP server somewhere!

Until then you enjoy scans of Amstradbladet on the WIKI:

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Amstradbladet

Regards,
Ygdrazil
Quote from: sorenbunnyjensen on 12:04, 24 August 10

I would love those scans!! Could you add me your MSN l?

my add is madmountainbiker@hotmail.com

thanx!

Gryzor

Quote from: TFM/FS on 21:22, 24 August 10

Hi Gryzor, I followed that link, there is mentioned that all that server is sponsored by Kangaroo. Is this historic or did I miss something?

Ooops! Fixed :D