News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Unofficial Amstrad WWW resource down again!!!!!!

Started by ZilogMonkey, 11:49, 07 March 07

Previous topic - Next topic

ZilogMonkey

Hi Guys!

The very invaluable site Unofficial Amstrad WWW resource site is down again!

Very annoying...

I use the site frequently to gain technical information about CPCs. (and its much quicker than to browse through 15 year out of date old crumbling paperbacks) I am also a big fan of the online source code examples.. To learn.. and prevent myself from reinventing the wheel!

Why not move the docs to a "safe" place; namely the CPCWIKI, this way its all stored in one place... Making acquiring of knowledge even faster!

Any thoughts! :-)

/ZilogMonkey

robcfg

Didn't we have a similar topic at cpczone.net?

The UAWWWR is a very nice collection of info and I think it should be in a better place rather than lost.

Maybe integrating it into the wiki could be a nice idea, but I don't know if that would cause storage problems or if it's gonna be difficult to move.

ZilogMonkey

I don't think it will be that difficult to move the contents from (only text and pdf files) UAWWWR to the CPCWIKI...

I will get on it when UAWWWR is online again :-)

Need some help categorizing the stuff though!

/ZilogMonkey

Gryzor

Actually, I already have permission to mirror the Resource's contents onto the wiki, and I think I may have an offline mirror somewhere. Once we finish with the server move we could start uploading...

Storage wouldn't be a problem - it's mostly text, anyway!

Cheers
Gryzor

PS Indeed, the organisation of the stuff will be the most difficult part.

Octoate

Well, after the problems with the old page, Kevin moved the site to http://cpctech.org.uk which seems to be more reliable than the old server.
But I totally agree that the addition of the articles would be a big deal for the CPCWiki. CPCLER already began adding them (great job), but we should also create an article about the UAWWWR, which is linked in the articles :-).
--

Gryzor

robcfg

Gryzor

Ah, I see what you mean. But in essence this would *duplicate * the archive instead of *incorporating* it... Oh, unless we just put the articles under whatever correct category AND add a unique Resource index page that could be linked from every such article... What of the two it is that you suggest?

ZilogMonkey

Cool The  Unofficial Amstrad WWW resource site, is being incorporated into the CPCWIKI!

What about creating a new Category... simply called UAWWWR or something similar!  Then mark all the articles to this category(requires some work though). Then make a new article called The Unofficial Amstrad WWW resource with a link to the Category! .... This way Kevin will receive some credit for the great work he did in the first place in collecting, writing and preserving the information!

Hi..
ZilogMonkey

Gryzor

That would be a good idea, but... strictly speaking, it's rather incorrect. A category is something that brings articles on a similar topic together, if it were used like that every contributor might as well add a category of himself with his name :D

Now, Kevin should get a LOT of credit, so something has to be done indeed. A separate page/article on the Resource linking to all the other articles, along with a note on the top of each such article, would be fine - I think.

Cheers
Gryzor