News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Why does this site grind to a halt randomly?

Started by Bignumbas, 09:50, 23 May 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Bignumbas

Damn, I was thinking you had fixed it.
Maybe they unclogged the cable to Orstralia.
:D
The cutting edge of technology is covered in blood!

Gryzor

Hehe, that could well be one of the things :D

Audronic

Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Audronic

An Other 23 Minute wait for the board to do its ? Thing ?

Its still not working properly

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Bryce

Amibay is having similar issues at the moment. They think they've narrowed it down to some Chinese search engines that are side-stepping some traffic settings and hogging the entire bandwidth.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Aha, perhaps it's time to reinstate the server-side ban on Chinese and other Asian IPs...

AMSDOS

Quote from: Audronic on 11:23, 28 June 17
An Other 23 Minute wait for the board to do its ? Thing ?

Its still not working properly

Ray

Had the same problem and ended up giving up in frustration!  :(
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

keith56

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:42, 28 June 17
Aha, perhaps it's time to reinstate the server-side ban on Chinese and other Asian IPs...

Just make sure you put an exception in for my IP!

I notice I always get a "Forbidden" when I try to access the site from my mobile now - it happened from time to time before - so I guess this is some kind of block
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

Gryzor

Quote from: keith56 on 04:12, 29 June 17
Just make sure you put an exception in for my IP!

I notice I always get a "Forbidden" when I try to access the site from my mobile now - it happened from time to time before - so I guess this is some kind of block

You mean on this site? I don't have a block in place yet, got to research the lists a bit before I implement it. But in any case Japan is not blocked, "only" China and a few other suspect countries (where spam attacks have originated from in the past as well). 

keith56

Here's a screenshot of my phone, the link used to work 80% of the time, but now it never works, don&t know that anythings changed, and it looks like it comes from this site, so I assume it's not ISP blocking?

gerald

Quote from: keith56 on 14:31, 29 June 17
Here's a screenshot of my phone, the link used to work 80% of the time, but now it never works, don&t know that anythings changed, and it looks like it comes from this site, so I assume it's not ISP blocking?
But your ISP may have assigned you a previously banned IP.
It could help if you can check and report your IP to gryzor when this happen

Bignumbas

The cutting edge of technology is covered in blood!

Gryzor

Quote from: keith56 on 14:31, 29 June 17

Oops that's no good indeed; it looks like direct server blocking. Next time this happens, can you get your IP and share it with me so I can check? 

Audronic

@keith56

Does the same thing happen when you try " cpcwiki.eu " Without the /forum ?

Thanks   Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

Gryzor

Different paths can have different restrictions, so indeed maybe he's able to access the wiki but not the forum. I see I do have some blocks from the time a few months back where spammers were trying to get in en masse, so maybe his IP is within the blocked range...

keith56

Quote from: Audronic on 08:27, 30 June 17
Does the same thing happen when you try " cpcwiki.eu " Without the /forum ?

Yes it seems so - but don't worry about it for me - I only browse on my phone when I'm supposed to be doing 'other things' so I don't really care if it doesn't work there!

Gryzor

Nonono, please do help me solve this for you!

Shaun M. Neary

I've just gone through this thread, and one potential culprit that hasn't been ruled out, but could play a vital part on the software end of things is a plugin. If there's a bad/out of date plugin installed it can create all sorts of loading issues.

Try disabling all the plugins for a limited period, then monitor the performance. Then slowly add them back one by one, eventually you'll find the one that's causing the issue (if that is indeed, what's causing it), and you can either upgrade it, or replace it with a similar, more compatible one.

Wordpress is a bastard for this, but i'm sure incompatibilities like this aren't just limited to Wordpress either.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Gryzor

Nah, unfortunately (?) it's not the add-ons. I know this because when we moved servers I did a clean install of the forum, and also the examination of DB data doesn't show *anything* specific...

Shaun M. Neary

Taking between 30 seconds to 2 minutes to load a page currently, @Gryzor.

Admit it, you're using a 6128+ to power the server, aren't you?  :laugh:
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Gryzor

Nope, a 1512 actually 😀

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Audronic

@gryzor

When i have problems getting into the /Forum i often just go to the Wiki and this seems to work Most of the time.
I was wondering if there is something unwell with the script that chooses the  /forum.

I hope that this helps

Good luck

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,

Poliander

Any news on this? This week the forum very often did not respond, it seems the problem got worse these days...

:'(
Schneider CPC 664 • X-MEM • Vortex F1-X Drive • CTM 644 • DMP 2160
Schneider CPC 6128 • Z-MEM • M4 Board • MultiPlay + Amiga Mouse • OSSC

tjohnson

Had it a lot today, just doesn't respond, obviously working right now  :o

Dagger

Happens a few times every day, fortunately it normally only last a few minutes

Life's a bitch. You marry one or two then you die !