News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

WIKI fund run !

Started by SRS, 21:22, 30 August 16

Previous topic - Next topic

SRS

Yeah, I know Gryzor wouldn't do that so I take this part over :)

We need some more € this year to keep the wiki alive and community floating.

At the moment it is roundabout 180€ missing.

so PLEASE take a look 'ere and think about if you can afford some money to keep this side alive for your hobby. Any amount you can afford is really appreciated !

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/treasury/

Thx for considering,

SRS (who will get no eurocent from this, but a page alive he likes to visit  :D )

And yes, every hint, tip, article, source , picture , schematics, new hardware and so on keeps this community alive, too. And is very welcome ! But to have access to it ... this is the page :)

MacDeath

Ok, I donated a few hard earned Euros then.

I clearly hope you won't go away with the stash of booty to pay for cheap prostitutes at some far away island.
:picard:

SRS

Quote from: MacDeath on 21:40, 30 August 16
Ok, I donated a few hard earned Euros then.

I clearly hope you won't go away with the stash of booty to pay for cheap prostitutes at some far away island.
:picard:

Which island this would be ? I mean cheap or inexpensive is a difference  ;)

MacDeath

good stuff cost good money... hence my donation for the CPCWiki.
:laugh:

My losy joke wasn't meant to be commented back.

And I keep my good spots for myself.
:picard2:

Anyway, should try this :

Executioner

I would have donated, but PayPal is stupid and keeps asking me for another credit card (it already has two active cards).

seanb

I've donated.
Not much but maybe at a later date when I have a few more spare bob I'll donate more
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

ervin

Quote from: Executioner on 22:58, 30 August 16
I would have donated, but PayPal is stupid and keeps asking me for another credit card (it already has two active cards).

Yes, I had that problem as well.

The way to fix is it to log into the paypal website, fix up all your credit card details in there (I also had to delete an old expired card), and then it should be ok.

ervin

Quote from: seanb on 00:48, 31 August 16
I've donated.
Not much but maybe at a later date when I have a few more spare bob

Every little bit counts.
It all helps.
:)

TotO

Quote from: SRS on 21:22, 30 August 16
At the moment it is roundabout 180€ missing.
Only 36.90€ left now... The goal for 31/12/2016 should have been already reached without the Paypal fees...  :picard:
(but the Paypal button is not our friend... Better to directly use the krakout gmail address)

Few questions:
- How about the previous years over-goal funding and the net balance?
- What are actually the cpcwiki.eu server/hosting specs?
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

reidrac

For me cpcwiki has been instrumental to get hooked to the CPC (you know I was actually a Spectrum person), so I'd like it to keep going.

I plan to donate once a year, and my "donation time" is approaching; I guess I can do it now.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

trabitboy

Donated, I hope to do cpc stuff for many more years ! ( at my noob z80 level )

Gryzor

So, I woke up this morning and found a bunch of Paypal notifications. At first I thought there was something wrong with their system!

I usually send personal emails to the donors to thank them, but this time I'll do so publicly.

Guys, I can't tell you how much this is appreciated, and how much it moves me and makes me proud to see that people don't just like and use this site, but they *love* it... and I loved this thread here so much, too, that I sent the link to the missus to share the feeling. Thanks so much for your kind and lovely messages...

Of course it doesn't matter how big or small donations are. Not everyone can make big donations, or all the time. Even the smallest of donations are motivation enough. So, thank you...

@SRS : aw, thanks man, that was awesome :D

A few days ago SRS made a donation and we talked a bit; he asked me why don't I do a fund run and I replied that I don't like asking in-your-face for it. Donations do keep trickling in, and we're happy to make up for the difference, if any.

@TotO : do you mean the hardware specs, or...?

I wouldn't put much stock on the Treasury reports, I don't understand Paypal's accounting :D But I could export the Paypal history...

...wait, ok, I think I found it after looking around on Paypal like someone who hasn't used the interwebz before. So, for 2016 and up to today we had, according to PP:

GBP   19.02
EUR   18.97
GBP   4.60
EUR   23.80
EUR   4.48
EUR   18.97
EUR   47.95
EUR   18.97
AUD   47.10
EUR   18.97
EUR   9.31
EUR   9.31
GBP   23.82
EUR   96.25
GBP   2.68
EUR   47.95
EUR   18.97
USD   47.50
EUR   18.97
EUR   28.63
USD   18.82
GBP   28.63
EUR   18.97
EUR   13.87

So, a total of... 606 *something* (not bothering with currency changes). Which is more than enough to cover the server costs, the backup server costs and software licenses (some of the plugins we use, or a donation I'm thinking to do to SMF that would earn us some premium support, too).

For 2015 we had:

AUD   23,4
EUR   9,31
GBP   9,41
USD   18,82
EUR   4,48
EUR   23,8
EUR   47,95
EUR   18,97
AUD   23,4
AUD   23,4
EUR   23,8
EUR   23,8
EUR   14,14
EUR   18,67
EUR   18,97

Total: 302 something, which was significantly less than half the yearly costs (costs were much higher last year before we switched hosts).

I haven't cross-checked these figures against the Treasury, and these are the *net* amounts (for instance €10-fee=€9,31 and so on). I'll try and check the Treasury later on, if anyone feels like it please do check the tables there to see if your name/donation is missing (this should always be done).

Actually, on that last detail: yes, Paypal does get to keep fees and perhaps it would be better if we didn't do it through their API, but doing it that way makes the whole thing more transparent since the donations/donors list is updated the moment a donation is done, whereas if someone sends me money through their own PP account I'll have to add the donation in Treasury manually.

About @TotO 's question on over-funding, which is an excellent one as a matter of fact: we usually run a deficit so I don't actually bother looking into it :D But I guess it just rolls over or we get some fancy new functionality! If anyone feels like looking into it I'm more than prepared to send them invoices about everything - be it hosts or software providers.

Again, guys, thanks so much. I can't overstate how awesome this is...

MacDeath

yeah, Paypal is really taking a lot of the cash for itself, I tried it for this time but now i regret because I hate giving money to bankers (but yeah, our dystopia doesn't give us any other choice I guess) .
should document more the different ways to give money with less leeching third party things.

but as long a most of the money I/we gave goes to the wiki, it is all that matter.

QuoteSo, a total of... 606 *something* (not bothering with currency changes)
I guess the currency change should get calculated... but yeah this seems to be almost complete by now.
According to the link, you are only 17.06 below the 500Euros goal so one last 20euro donation should be enough.

QuoteA few days ago SRS made a donation and we talked a bit; he asked me why don't I do a fund run and I replied that I don't like asking in-your-face for it. Donations do keep trickling in, and we're happy to make up for the difference, if any.
Don't hesitate to ask for it before it is too late.
I mean, it can really be quite a motivation kiler to have a lot of user but be the one to pay the bill alone.

Also special Hat-off to TotO who really gave a lot.

pelrun

Okay, I think I've just pushed this over the line :D

Gryzor

Quote from: MacDeath on 15:54, 31 August 16
yeah, Paypal is really taking a lot of the cash for itself, I tried it for this time but now i regret because I hate giving money to bankers (but yeah, our dystopia doesn't give us any other choice I guess) .
should document more the different ways to give money with less leeching third party things.

Well, short of sending me money in an envelope (which also costs :D ) every method has its own fees... Ultimately the only "free" method would be for me to publish the invoices and hope someone pays them in time, but of course this would be difficult because not everyone can pay €36 (the monthly main server cost) at once, say. Or I could make a wish list on Amazon or something, and people could buy stuff for me and so fund the wiki indirectly :D :D

But if anyone's got another idea, please do let me know.

Quote from: MacDeath on 15:54, 31 August 16
I guess the currency change should get calculated... but yeah this seems to be almost complete by now.

Unfortunately Paypal doesn't give me the option to convert amounts into EUR automatically. I had looked into it for a while but couldn't make heads from tails; the way my account is set up, I've got different balances, one for each currency. Crazy, I know.

Quote from: MacDeath on 15:54, 31 August 16Don't hesitate to ask for it before it is too late.
I mean, it can really be quite a motivation kiler to have a lot of user but be the one to pay the bill alone.

Yeah, I know what you mean; but the satisfaction that I get from people sending me messages saying how much they enjoy the site is recompense enough :) That, plus the fact that I really don't feel comfortable asking for money. If I really do need it as some point, I'll give people a shout.

Quote from: MacDeath on 15:54, 31 August 16Also special Hat-off to TotO who really gave a lot.

The thing I find great about TotO's donations is the fact that he's among those who actively (very much so) supports the community. Hats off to him.

Quote from: pelrun on 17:09, 31 August 16
Okay, I think I've just pushed this over the line :D

Yeah you did!!! :) :)

villain

No Paypal in Villain's little world. :-) If there'd be a regular account (with IBAN and so on...) I'd probably also transfer some taler to it.

SRS

Quote from: villain on 18:57, 31 August 16
No Paypal in Villain's little world. :-) If there'd be a regular account (with IBAN and so on...) I'd probably also transfer some taler to it.

If you have someone here you trust with paypal you could do the Überweisung to him/her and he'll paypal. Still loosing some fee, but banksters want to live iun luxury so someone has to pay ...

@ALL: Wow ! Never thought this would go THAT fast. Thanks again to all members here for every bit they add to my hobby :)

Executioner

Managed to donate now, the payment screens looked completely different (like they used to be for me, instead of the new version, almost as if PayPal randomly use different versions or were testing a new version).

Gryzor

Quote from: Executioner on 00:59, 02 September 16
Managed to donate now, the payment screens looked completely different (like they used to be for me, instead of the new version, almost as if PayPal randomly use different versions or were testing a new version).

Yup, they do have their new version of everything in "beta". The other day I was looking for a way to export the list of donations I came upon parts of the site with the old design :D

Oh, and thanks so much man! :) 

villain

Quote from: SRS on 21:15, 31 August 16
If you have someone here you trust with paypal you could do the Überweisung to him/her and he'll paypal. Still loosing some fee, but banksters want to live iun luxury so someone has to pay ...

If you could be this person, please send me the notwendige Datenkrempel. :-)

SRS

Quote from: villain on 11:38, 02 September 16
If you could be this person, please send me the notwendige Datenkrempel. :-)

You have Elektronenbrief :D

Gryzor

Hello guys,

Once again, thanks so much for all your donations. You really make this much easier :)

Just wanted to apologise for the delay in awarding those little medals, and to let you know I have now done them all. If you've ever donated and you don't have it - let me know!

T

SRS

I am "Going on your nerves" again :)
Got a bit more expensive, but well ... just consider it a bit, wouldn't you ?

villain

Quote from: SRS on 20:20, 15 October 19
I am "Going on your nerves" again :)
Got a bit more expensive, but well ... just consider it a bit, wouldn't you ?

If you send me an Elektronenbrief again... You know what I mean? ;-)

Gryzor

My dudes, thanks again so much :) Can never express how much it's appreciated...