News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Batman Forever - Recorded From A Real CTM 644

Started by chinnyhill10, 22:05, 10 November 15

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

Nothing like seeing Batman Forever running on a real CTM 644. Which makes it a shame that all the videos of it on Youtube are either emulation or a flickering mess.

So I took a professional video camera, synced it as best I could to the CTM and recorded it.

Did it ages ago but thought people might complain if I put it out instead of the usual game reviews. But the channel is more established now so I'll run the risk.  :D 

Viewing at 720p 50FPS is a must!
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

MacDeath

was the monitor finely tuned as well ?

nice anyway to see the "grain" of real monitor reproduced.

Post edit : on some Monitors there is a hole where you can put a small screwdriver and somewhat adjust the 3 beams (focus them) so the pixels' 3 colours are betterly aligned and the pixels is then less large and sharper.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: MacDeath on 23:40, 10 November 15
was the monitor finely tuned as well ?

Colour looked OK, geometry was pretty much like every CRT of that age and type. Geometry round around the edges a bit rough although you never notice that on CTM's unless you are in overscan and every one I've ever seen is like it.

I wasn't going to go poking around inside it as I got rid of it within the week

Anyway, some nice comments in the Youtube comments from people who never realised the CPC could do that kind of thing.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Zoe Robinson

Superb! Lovely to see this on a proper screen for once. :D

robcfg

Awesome video!

Great idea filming the monitor directly to get the real taste of it.  8)

seanb

After all the times sticking that demo on it's only now I realised that I've never seem the whole demo from start to finish.

Excellent video.
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

chinnyhill10

Quote from: robcfg on 10:36, 11 November 15
Awesome video!

Great idea filming the monitor directly to get the real taste of it.  8)

Thing to remember to get the best out of it is that the CTM is 14 inches in size. So you want to view it in a window where it appears at that size to your relative distance. Otherwise the relatively low resolution of the dot mask makes it look really grainy.

And apologise for the noisy blacks and reds. Inherent problems with even high end cameras not liking areas where there is no light, and also the MP4 codec colour compression playing havoc with the reds (I could give you a boring lecture on 4:2:0 colour compression but it will bore you all to tears).
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 13:04, 11 November 15
also the MP4 codec colour compression playing havoc with the reds (I could give you a boring lecture on 4:2:0 colour compression but it will bore you all to tears).

Oh tell me about it. Red compression is a nightmare on just about every format; especially JPEGs. I am convinced this is the reason most cartoonists avoid creating characters with a predominantly red palette these days (wish I'd known about that when designing some of my earlier characters  :'( ).

TFM

I don't get it... outside the batcastly everything is put into red bloody light. And inside... it's blue light! How that?

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Zoe Robinson

TFM

Only work if the outside view has filtered glass too.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

remax

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 13:04, 11 November 15

Thing to remember to get the best out of it is that the CTM is 14 inches in size. So you want to view it in a window where it appears at that size to your relative distance. Otherwise the relatively low resolution of the dot mask makes it look really grainy.

With the high number of people adding horrible scanlines to their pictures, i don't think that will be a problem :-D

By luck, in full screen in my monitor, it's quite exactly the same size than my CTM sitting just aside. :)
Brain Radioactivity

dodogildo

I just got motivated and downloaded that demo into my 6128. What a great joy watching it on a Sony CRT TV indeed. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

On the other hand I kind of felt sad. If that really was the power of CPC  why in the hell did they feed us all that crap for years.. Damn

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
M'enfin!

chinnyhill10

Quote from: dodogildo on 23:47, 11 November 15

On the other hand I kind of felt sad. If that really was the power of CPC  why in the hell did they feed us all that crap for years.. Damn

The thing about demos is they use techniques that aren't often practical to do in a game as you have other overheads to worry about. Just because they can throw that Batman logo around the screen at a high frame rate doesn't mean you could do a 3D game on a CPC at that frame rate for example.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

robcfg

Totally agreed, but we could have more amazing demos  8) 

In that sense, the C64 scene is much better than the CPC scene in number and quality of demos. But glad we're improving each year, hehe!

Gryzor

Thanks for the vid, man. I watch it every time I see it, nice to see a different take :)