News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Batman Forever

Started by villain, 20:30, 20 March 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhino

@MacDeath:
I noticed during development that the loading parts are very sensible to the hardware status and it is possible to have some desync problem for some moments while loading depending on the status of your floppy and / or disks.
It is because when musical loader from arnoldemu get an error reading a sector, try it again, and then, the loading time is not the same for all cases. This is also true because the time reserved for loading parts in demo are very tight to the ideal condition in order to reduce the transition time.

@Bryce:
Thank you for the info, I have a scart cable like the diagram (but without the connection 16 - 18, and 3 capacitors included in 7, 11 and 15), and my second scart cable have not the 16-18 connection, and 17 is directly connected to 13, 9 and 5). What is my best option to add the capacitor of the diagram in your opinion?

@Devilmarkus:
Thanks again, If we can assemble properly the sound, I think your video could be the "official" if you agree, of course. About the sound file, don't worry, I can capture hi-quality demo sound without problems, only the video is needed. I wait the file from you. :)

redbox

I waited to see it on my real CPC...

And it is simply amazing.  The bar has been raised so, so far...!

Eat that C64 fanboys  :)

Bryce

@Rhino,
The three capacitors on 7,11,15 are a bit of an overkill (because these are already present inside the CPC), but they don't have any real negative effect so you could leave them there. Pin 16 is important though, you need between 1V and 3V on this pin to tell the video that you are using RGB and not FBAS (Composite), some other versions use a small battery to achieve this, but connecting it to the sync signal is enough to power this signal. Because the Sync is a pulsed signal, older SCART systems will be happy enough with this pulse, but newer LCD/Plasma TVs sample this pin and need a permanent signal , not a pulse (otherwise the picture may flicker and permanently display RGB in the corner of the picture), the capaictor looks after this by discharging between pulses. If you add the wire to 16 and the capacitor between 16 and 18 on you first SCART cable, you should get a sharp coloured picture.

By the way, when the Batman logo is rotating, it's really smooth when it's large, but stutters when it's small, I would have expected it to be the other way around, is there a technical reason for this?

Bryce.

Rhino

Quote from: Bryce on 13:08, 22 March 11
@Rhino,
The three capacitors on 7,11,15 are a bit of an overkill (because these are already present inside the CPC), but they don't have any real negative effect so you could leave them there. Pin 16 is important though, you need between 1V and 3V on this pin to tell the video that you are using RGB and not FBAS (Composite), some other versions use a small battery to achieve this, but connecting it to the sync signal is enough to power this signal. Because the Sync is a pulsed signal, older SCART systems will be happy enough with this pulse, but newer LCD/Plasma TVs sample this pin and need a permanent signal , not a pulse (otherwise the picture may flicker and permanently display RGB in the corner of the picture), the capaictor looks after this by discharging between pulses. If you add the wire to 16 and the capacitor between 16 and 18 on you first SCART cable, you should get a sharp coloured picture.

By the way, when the Batman logo is rotating, it's really smooth when it's large, but stutters when it's small, I would have expected it to be the other way around, is there a technical reason for this?

Bryce.

Thanks, I will try to do this evening at home.
About Batman logo, It is intentional, the idea is first to show a "standard" 8 bits vector and then a CPC vector to increase the feeling. I planned to put a overprinted sprite saying "C64" when the vector is small and slow, and a "CPC" when the vector is big and fast. But it might be too explicit. :)

Bryce

You bashed the C64 crowd enough in the Demo, any more sarcasm and they'll be outside your house with pitchforks and torches :D

Bryce.

spybro

@Rhino
I have re encoded your demo using raw image coming from winape(I think devilmarkus rip  looks weird cause he used the MP2 which produces a rather poor image and not the RGB like you wanted to do with yours)
I have upload it on youtube
here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14OZa8qAjoQ

tell me if you are satisfied with what you see and hear
If yes
I'll upload/send you the avi which is 180MB

Bravo for your work mate!!!
All the CPC coders should be suffering from depression after seeing your work!!!

Devilmarkus

I am actually fiddling around the MP2 and a Composite modulation.
Sadly the image is much too dark:

Perhaps I can get a better quality...
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Optimus

I have seen that Rhino has submitted a high quality video on fix me beautifull on Pouet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJosZfm560Q

I have added an anotatation in my own video that links to this video. I I think that would be ok.. (so many vids of this demo uploaded these days :)

MacDeath

Concerning the rotating bat logo...
I though too it was intentionnal...

"oh a cute little 3D rotating slowly... normal but cute... er... WTF ? the larger fullscreen is smooth and fast as hell ???
OMG..."

Completely "great surprise achievement unlocked"...
Also liked the fact both sides are a different colour, but this is slight and nice.

You really choose the right Theme (Batman) as the CPC palette is full of great Blues... and you used them well.

the same on C64 would have been in grey all the way. ;D as ever...

=My unused RAM : I know, it was some sort of a joke...
=Warmed CPC : yep I must have some dry stuff and perhaps some dust... Was just to tell that my CPC needed smany trys to run the Demo entirelry...

Electronic is not that regular.
Especially with shitty connectic.
And my powersupply was certainly the faultypart...
My Brother connected the 3"1/2 to the +5V of the CPC... while originally it was supposed to have it's own 12V from the monitor (the 3") which is then unused.

If I use an external power supply for my disk drive (I have some spare PC power supply) so the Monitor don't get some micro power shortages...
This may ease... perhaps.

Anyway it managed to work properly at last.

Also get myself a betterly soldered cable for the DiskDrive...

Not a big deal, but I am quite occupied theses days.

norecess

QuoteI am quite occupied
I love frenchies. You too ? :)

I guess he meant busy.

Devilmarkus

Quote from: norecess on 19:18, 22 March 11
I guess he meant busy.

Well, or occupied ;) (I will not guess, WHO occupied him  ??? )

khisanth

pretty blown away by this demo! love to see what these guys can do , maybe hear that music through a SID

HAL6128

've seen that demo today on a real CPC and TV. Grafix are very, very smooth. No interrupts during loading (3,5" Disc). With the TV's "built in" anti-aliasing colors blending and picture flipping became so soft and also smooth. And with good speakers available the bass of the thunder in the beginning are very very realistic (even for AY cababilities), sound and stereo effects are cool. So... the YouTube videos (even the HD) are very poor.
I pretty recommend watching it on real CPC and TV. It's fun.
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

MacDeath

Yeah busy... had a dreadfull night so... my english is as bad as usual....

Bryce

@MacDeath, ignore them, the word occupied is perfectly correct in that situation, exactly as in french.

Bryce.

Xyphoe

I think this demo is absolutely amazing, and I've watched it several times now - which is testament to how good it is as demo's usually bore me  ;) ;D

A question for Rhino -

I was just wondering what your history is with the Amstrad CPC? I've seen some comments that you were doing Amiga demos and this is your first CPC demo? I'm wondering how you got so good so quick!  ??? :laugh:

norecess

QuoteI was just wondering what your history is with the Amstrad CPC?

Looks like this is good timing. I just added an interview of Rhino on my website ! (thanks Rhino for your time answering my questions  :) )

Devilmarkus

Quote from: MacDeath on 22:46, 22 March 11
Yeah busy... had a dreadfull night so... my english is as bad as usual....

Hey no worries! I just was joking ;)

I also speak English as a second hand shop language :)

HAL6128

Quote from: norecess on 11:34, 23 March 11

Looks like this is good timing. I just added an interview of Rhino on my website ! (thanks Rhino for your time answering my questions  :) )

I've read the interview. Rino was talking about two different views or concepts of how to create a demo (x*y concept versus x*time concept)...

@Rino: Did I understand you right? When you creating motions so it is not a matter of an exactly calculated (e.g.) vectors/pixel per second but it's more a matter of how our eye is realizing a motion per second. (...the same principle as it is for an mp3-encoding??)
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

trocoloco

Quote from: hal 6128 on 21:45, 22 March 11
've seen that demo today on a real CPC and TV. Grafix are very, very smooth. No interrupts during loading (3,5" Disc). With the TV's "built in" anti-aliasing colors blending and picture flipping became so soft and also smooth. And with good speakers available the bass of the thunder in the beginning are very very realistic (even for AY cababilities), sound and stereo effects are cool. So... the YouTube videos (even the HD) are very poor.
I pretty recommend watching it on real CPC and TV. It's fun.
I'm with you, this demo on cpc and a TV it's gobsmacking

Gryzor

Gonna try it on my CPC tonight... can't wait. Popcorn and everything :)

Now all we have to do is wait for the c64 scene's answer - it should be great if there's one! Or maybe a video with the gfx from the CPC and SID sound (@khisanth)? :)

Devilmarkus

Here's my new video:

Have fun!

Edit: Technic used: Modified MP2 modulator (Thanks to Bryce for his advice to add Composite output!), TV Card, CPC 6128, PC with capturing software. Video and audio is real CPC 6128!

MacDeath

This Demo actually have at least 10 different videos on Youtube... :P

einoeL

Quote from: khisanth on 19:52, 22 March 11
...maybe hear that music through a SID

I don't think that the music would sound better through a SID.
Listen to it via a hifi-system, it sounds really strong and punchy.

spybro

I followed the advice to see it on an lcd
so i prepared the one disc version
took the cpc+ out of the closet
hooked it up on my 26 lcd and run"disc
EPIC!!!