News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Bloc us/ Benediction & Brainstorm

Started by voXfReaX, 11:06, 22 August 11

Previous topic - Next topic

redbox

For me, it's nice to see any demo made for the CPC.  Anyone involved at any level is more than welcome - some people might just be starting to learn and others can produce amazing effects.  I love it all!

At the same time, it's nice to see the CPC demos finally 'maturing' and becoming like their 16-bit cousins.  But this is largely a new occurance because it's taken a while to develop track-loaders etc.

Let's just encourage any CPC production and keep people interested in making new stuff!

Devilmarkus

When I for example think about the Amiga prod. "Budbrain-Demo"...
It's from the technical point absolute rubbish.
But the innovation is funny and thats the reason why I always enjoy watching it...

Edit: My favourite CPC demos are: - Demo Iz Art - Batman Forever - Big'O'Full'O'Demo - X-Files - Midline Process - Terrific Demo
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 15:26, 23 August 11
When I for example think about the Amiga prod. "Budbrain-Demo"...

I'd like to see someone here do a CPC version of KAOS. The mix of static, mono-chrome screens, rasters, wire vectors, and line circles to Diablo's trackmod of the Dr. Baker classic is simple, yet very effective. I'm sure it'd take a decent coder a few hours to complete!

Kaos by Budbrain
(Only the first few mins for some reason...)

Devilmarkus

Want the music?
[cpc=http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2610.0;attach=2010,none,1]CPC6128[/cpc]

(Focus the applet and press F5 when the snapshot does not start!)
When Snapshot has started, press Enter to play the song...

MaV

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 15:19, 23 August 11
(No, I don't speak about this nice little demo but in general!)

Here we are again. It's time - people - to define what makes a good demo. And to inform others what you don't want to see in a demo anymore.

In my post above I stated that I'm tired of:
vector balls
endless scrolling messages (though, nicely done short ones are ok)

Any other suggestions?
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

Devilmarkus

villain

Quote from: TFM/FS on 22:04, 22 August 11

I. Make an OS

When will you start coding an OS? :-) *duckundganzschnellwegrenn*

Gryzor

I partly agree with Markus; not necessarily boobs, but something nice to look at (backsides are a nice alternative ;D ).

I don't think the Batman Forever demo will ever be surpassed, but then again this is not reason to give up on making demos.

And since we've seen most trickery time and again, I'd prefer a demo that is just nice to look at, without boasting about how many balls or dots etc are on screen. There are several such demos on the PC where it's just magical to watch them instead of going "whoa! how did he do THAT?!" all the time.

I don't know why all these negative comments here. I really don't get it. That said, I don't think that trashing other coders/demos/groups is a motivation - it's not 1990 and we're not 15 or 20 any more. That said, I don't think there was any particular trashing in this specific demo...

TFM

Quote from: krusty on 09:02, 23 August 11
If you do not agree, you are really narrow minded...
Digital Orgasm and Face Hugger megademo are not real demos (this do not say they are crap!).

If somebody defines by himself - while ignoring the rest of the world - what is called a demo and what not, then this - and only this - person can call himself narrow-minded.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TFM

Quote from: villain on 18:42, 23 August 11

When will you start coding an OS? :-) *duckundganzschnellwegrenn*

Ah, the Assistent of Kangaroo is talking... so you try again to pour gas into a putative starting flamewar. Well, why is it so often you? But, let me - just for fun - take your question serious.

Well, I will not starting to code an OS again, because I already did it in 1989 (you remember the year, when Flynn disappeared). And I'm constantly working on that project, my OS - called FutureOS - since that time. And every day it's getting better and better.

Now since you are obviously unable to recognice an OS, I really have to ask you what do you understand as an OS? (I don't expect a serious answer form you at all, because you can't give one, else prove me wrong).
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

villain

Früher hast Du mal Witze verstanden. Früher hättest Du den Smiley gesehen. Früher hättest Du gewusst, dass mein CPC noch nie ein "alternatives" OS gesehen hat und auch nie sehen wird. Früher warst Du aber auch nicht in USA. Vielleicht liegt´s daran. Ach ja, und früher... Ne, das sag ich jetzt nicht, sonst heisst es gleich nochmal ich würde Öl ins Feuer giessen. Allein aus Respekt vor den Menschen in Libyen würde ich das aber niemals tun.

Devilmarkus

Des hab ja sogar ich gemerkt, dass es ein Spässle war...
Weiss ja schliesslich Jeder, dass es für den CPC kein echtes third-party-OS gibt...

(Also I saw that this was a joke...
Everybody knows that there does not exist any real third-party-OS for the CPC)

TFM

Quote from: villain on 21:13, 23 August 11
Früher hast Du mal Witze verstanden. Früher hättest Du den Smiley gesehen. Früher hättest Du gewusst, dass mein CPC noch nie ein "alternatives" OS gesehen hat und auch nie sehen wird. Früher warst Du aber auch nicht in USA. Vielleicht liegt´s daran. Ach ja, und früher... Ne, das sag ich jetzt nicht, sonst heisst es gleich nochmal ich würde Öl ins Feuer giessen. Allein aus Respekt vor den Menschen in Libyen würde ich das aber niemals tun.

Ok, sorry, dann ist mein Humor hald zu trocken geworden, brauch hald wieder etwas Öl, dass er besser läuft ;-) Aber mal im Ernst, dieses ewige Rumgemecker am FutureOS nervt mich einfach tödlich. Du kennst doch sicher auch noch einen 2. Witz über mich  :laugh:
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 21:20, 23 August 11
Des hab ja sogar ich gemerkt, dass es ein Spässle war...
Weiss ja schliesslich Jeder, dass es für den CPC kein echtes third-party-OS gibt...

(Also I saw that this was a joke...
Everybody knows that there does not exist any real third-party-OS for the CPC)

So if you ignore CP/M ... then thank you for second party ;-)
TFM of FutureSoft

MacDeath

QuoteMore animated boobs
I aggree... :P

Why not some amstrad version of the famous gainax effect, gainaxing all the way...

;)

Warning : bouncing content.

Anyway, does the part of the Blocus demo with the Rhino is in Mode5 ?

I mean it looks like Mode1 with different palettes on the same scanlines.

This looks great.

But to be fair, it is a good demo but a bit simple and not themed enough to get better place at a demo contest.

The tune is great, but this lacks in more varied visual content perhaps..

krusty_benediction

Quote from: TFM/FS on 20:28, 23 August 11

If somebody defines by himself - while ignoring the rest of the world - what is called a demo and what not, then this - and only this - person can call himself narrow-minded.

Ok, here are my definitions:

- intro (4k, 256bytes, 0x2007bytes, ...): Moody, Still the Bests, Arkos/Dirty Minds/Shinra experiments
- onescreen: one screen of one effect. Almost all the productions on CPC. S&Koh, Highway to Hell, Ecole Buissoniere, ...
- maxidemo: few one screen loaded one after the other. Something between onescreen and megademo. Digital Orgasm, Big'O'Full, ...
- megademo: An ensemble of one screens with a menu or not. You press space to change (or wait end of an animaiton). The dmeo, Voyage 93, PDT megademo, Face Hugger megademo, ...
- demo: several effects loaded at the same time, no need of user to change parts. nothing else than presented in  Block US catalog except rastablast, a step beyond, gates to delirium if spread alone and Sappy for +
- trackmo: (A sub-category of the demos) Batman forever alone
- experimental (I do not know how to put it): Middline Process

What I find outdated are the schemes maxidemos and megademos. Probably onescreen too.
What am I ignoring now ?

TFM

Quote from: krusty on 16:27, 24 August 11
What am I ignoring now ?

Only your own posts from before  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  However, I can agree with your definitions, and you named some more demos. Having sad this, I guess it's not a good idea to define a demo depending on the number of screens or if it loads or not.

Wanna see a good demo? Take a look at Divine (since you mentionend good other demos before). Now, you can call it outdated, I call it better than Batman. 8)
TFM of FutureSoft

spybro

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:03, 23 August 11

I don't think the Batman Forever demo will ever be surpassed, but then again this is not reason to give up on making demos.

well said Gryzor
really hope that vanity will surpass it(hard if not impossible)
does anyone knows when vanity will blast us with his new prod ?(should be around the corner by now)

@voXfReaX
the thing that you said thats comin really soon is the 80% ready demo?

TFM

Quote from: spybro on 22:43, 24 August 11

well said Gryzor
does anyone knows when vanity will blast us with his new prod ?(should be around the corner by now)

@voXfReaX

IMHO From Scratch is way better than BF. But that's a POV thing.
TFM of FutureSoft

norecess

QuoteIMHO From Scratch is way better than BF.

I think you seriously need to watch Batman Forever's intro part once again.

TFM

Quote from: norecess on 00:16, 25 August 11

I think you seriously need to watch Batman Forever's intro part once again.

BF look good, but consists mainly of displaying compressed data. While From Scratch uses fascinating coding skills and is just very beautiful. As said it's a POV thing ;-)
TFM of FutureSoft

McKlain

Quote from: TFM/FS on 01:29, 25 August 11

BF look good, but consists mainly of displaying compressed data.

Oh no, that again  :laugh:

voXfReaX

Quote from: spybro on 22:43, 24 August 11

well said Gryzor

@voXfReaX

Yes! Btw, if that version shown at Forever was the 80%, then the released one will be the 200% ;)
I do not know how much time is required still but we are on our way!

...and don't expect things from Vanity only; BND will kick Vanity's ass soon :D

we speak,
voxfreax/BND

TFM

So future will be interresting... 8)
TFM of FutureSoft