News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Breaking Baud on actual tape. Has anyone managed this?

Started by CraigsBar, 20:02, 02 April 18

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigsBar

As I now have a CPC 464 once more, I'd love to load this demo the way it is meant to load, From tape!

However despite many nights tweaking the audio settings between my Mac and Tape Deck I am unable to get a working copy.

I can get it to load from tape on a CPC 6128 (Where I can tweak further the Volume and Tone on the external tape deck) but on the CPC 464 I have no success at all.

If anyone has a working copy, or the facilities to make one that I can load from tape I will gladly pay you for it.

let me know if you can help me out here, it's driving me crazy!
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

MaV

ralferoo (Doz) can help you, as he's had it on tape for the Revision party, IIRC. Unfortunately he not very active anymore in our forum.

I never tried it on an actual tape, I used one of those car cassette adapters in a CPC464 and even then it was quite a hassle to find the correct head alignment.
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

roudoudou

I had not problem to use a K7 adapter with two 464 in order to run breaking bauds. I succeed with a very high volume and with also with a "normal" volume, close to what a real CPC do with a real recorded tape.

It seems to be very tolerant, but maybe your real tape was having a too low volume? I mean, lower than usual?
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

CraigsBar

I hav ea Tape adaptor here. I'll have to try again I guess. but I would really like it on a physical tape and dispence with the digital media all together. Hmm, maybe this is just not possible.

I have found the 464plus and 6128plus to be far less tollerant with tape quality than the CPC 6128 all round. Harver Headbanger musical loaders for example fail on the plus machines.

VincentGR

in a couple of weeks I'll go back home.
I'll try to make a cassette.

CraigsBar

Quote from: VincentGR on 15:53, 18 April 18
in a couple of weeks I'll go back home.
I'll try to make a cassette.
That would be awesome. Thanks

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3t using Tapatalk

VincentGR

Didn't forget about this, it's just there is no time to visit my family.
Hope I will soon.

CraigsBar

Quote from: VincentGR on 17:12, 05 May 18
Didn't forget about this, it's just there is no time to visit my family.
Hope I will soon.
Thanks mate, no rush.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3t using Tapatalk

Gryzor

VincentGR

No, still not at home.
I went for 3 days and left, didn't had time to dig for the hardware unfortunately.
And this is a weird coincidence as a friend some minutes ago asked me to make one tape for him  :picard:

Gryzor

Such is life :D

As for friends asking for some tapes... this is way retro :D

VincentGR

Still trying to make it work.
My tape was recording fine for the CPC, C64 and ZX.
Will use another one this week.

roudoudou

I'm still looking for a tape recorder...

VincentGR

Quote from: roudoudou on 11:52, 26 January 19
I'm still looking for a tape recorder...

Well good luck with that.
I had a perfect deck back then from Technics but destroyed in a fire.
From then whatever I bought is not working properly.

roudoudou

I found a tape deck workingunfortunatelay, BB did not work, only the loader is workingi tried with differents recording levelsthen i tried again with my tape replacement, failed too!  :o the level must be very important

VincentGR

ComSoft6128

roudoudou,

I have a tape recorder (Binatone?) which I used to transfer games from tape to my 6128. It was only used two or three times in the early nineties and then boxed. The data lead was sent to another member last year so you would have to make up/purchase another one. If you are interested please PM me, postage should be about £4/£5.

It looks similar to the photo below.

XeNoMoRPH

I tried to run this demo in a maxduino and it does not work either

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

CraigsBar

Quote from: XeNoMoRPH on 07:59, 19 March 19
I tried to run this demo in a maxduino and it does not work either

I'll try it on my tzxduino tonight, I have got it working once before on a car cd tape adaptor and a pc playing a WAV

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

VincentGR

Still cannot make a proper cassette but plays fine from my phone.

tjohnson

I had a go but was unable to get it to work fully, it starts to load the first screen before corrupting.  I can get it to load from my phone with the tape adapter but can't get it to record onto a cassette yet.

VincentGR

Same here, wish I still had my Pioneer deck.

Audronic

Hi All

Can somebody drop a copy here and I will have a try.

Thanks.  Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

HAL6128

I'm using CDT2WAV for converting. With Audiacity I play the WAV file with a very high level during recording the tape (mono / not stereo / only one channel). I'm using an old school data recorder from pioneer similar to the one of roudoudou plugged into the PC. That works.
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX