Author Topic: Breaking Baud on actual tape. Has anyone managed this?  (Read 4357 times)

Offline Mr. DVG

• CPC664
    • Il Dizionario dei VideoGiochi
  • Liked: 119
  • Likes Given: 101
Re: Breaking Baud on actual tape. Has anyone managed this?
« Reply #25 on: 11:33, 05 April 19 »
I also tried to get a physical copy from the .wav file I found on this thread, but the real test on a CPC 464 was not successful.  :(

I state that as indicated, the audio recorded on tape is very high, and the tape used is a TDK practically new, but after loading the first block the demo does not proceed...  :'(
There is someone who really managed to to run this demo on a 464? And if so, how did you make it happen?

Thanks to all those who will answer!  :)

Offline remax

• 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 408
  • Likes Given: 451
« Reply #26 on: 12:26, 05 April 19 »
I'll try it on my tzxduino tonight, I have got it working once before on a car cd tape adaptor and a pc playing a WAV

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I think that was the first thing i tryed with mine and it worked. (but on a 6128)

Offline CraigsBar

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • The party ain't over yet
    • index.php?action=treasury
  • Liked: 1172
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #27 on: 22:56, 05 April 19 »
I found a tape deck workingunfortunatelay, BB did not work, only the loader is workingi tried with differents recording levelsthen i tried again with my tape replacement, failed too!  :o the level must be very important

Yeah, that is my finding too. it seems running this awesome production outside of emulation is trickier than expected. (Yes I know Smartphone or feeding the Audio through an audio tape adaptor works, but then you are emulating the tape and not the CPC. I would really really love to see this running using genuine retro hardware, including the tape deck and tape.

I know I am mad, even insane maybe, but I actually now appreciate tape loading!

Craig

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Offline protek

• CPC6128
  • Liked: 62
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #28 on: 18:50, 30 May 19 »
I got it working on a Philips NMS 1515 but unfortunately it no longer works on that. Also my Sony recorder fails to play it properly. I probably should try to record it again from different source.

Offline CraigsBar

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
« Reply #29 on: 16:42, 10 June 19 »

I have resolved this issue. If you see elsewhere I have fitted a small signal amplifier in my 6128plus to amplify the audio in from the tape socket before it arrives on the PCB. This means I can load everything perfectly from my tzxduino first time, which was not possible before, and also load musical loaders and breaking baud which simply failed every time previously. I can also load the musical loaders from a real shoebox tape recorder at the same volume level as I use on the Cpc 6128 and no longer need to boost up the volume for the plus. A win all round.

Craig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline protek

• CPC6128
« Reply #30 on: 19:28, 14 June 19 »
Good to hear you got it working, Craig.  What kind of signal amp did you use?

Offline CraigsBar

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
« Reply #31 on: 11:55, 21 June 19 »
Good to hear you got it working, Craig.  What kind of signal amp did you use?
It was a premade pcb module from China intended for Arduino projects. The chip on it is a LM358

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Offline protek

• CPC6128
« Reply #32 on: 22:31, 23 April 20 »
Finally managed to get Breaking Baud to play from tape with my Sony recorder. I played the wav through the USB sound card of my headset and playing it out with enough volume did the trick.

Offline protek

• CPC6128
« Reply #33 on: 00:13, 22 June 20 »
I don’t know if this would be better suited on the hardware section, but since it involves the recording and loading of the Breaking Baud demo, I’ll ask it here. Not all recorders, including my Sony TCM-939, have a dedicated setting for the recording level. It only has the volume setting. Does the volume setting have an effect to the recording, though? I’ve tried transferring the Breaking Baud demo onto tape a few times through my sound card with varying output levels, and I just don’t seem to get a recording that would load consistently, when played back. Is there any point of trying to adjust the azimuth, as the tape is being played back on the same device it’s being recorded with? What kind of levels are ideal for the CPC programs?