News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Is it important for you that a demo runs on all CRTC types?

Started by Devilmarkus, 15:34, 23 August 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it important for you that a demo runs on all CRTC types?

I only need CRTC 1 demos - all other prods are crap
0 (0%)
A demo coder should keep in mind, that his prod runs on all CRTC types because we all want to watch it.
34 (73.9%)
I don't mind, because I use an Emulator with CRTC-Types 0-28
5 (10.9%)
I want cookies
2 (4.3%)
Err.. What is a demo?
0 (0%)
I only need CRTC 0 demos - all other prods are crap
1 (2.2%)
I only need CRTC 2 demos - all other prods are crap
2 (4.3%)
I only need CRTC 3/4 (ASIC) demos - all other prods are crap
2 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Devilmarkus

Quote from: phi2x on 22:21, 27 August 11
So we all have problems. But it would spoil all the fun if there wasn't any more problem to resolve, isn't it? :D

Sure... pure fun :D (depressing, demotivating, braincrumbling)
Yoohooooooooooooo :D
(Need holidays now) :P
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

AMSDOS

Would be good, though I've pretty much stated that a 10-Liner Demo has the same effect on me as a large scale Demo Production (sadly), and I'm not necessarily referring to the ACU Demo by ChaRleyTroniC  :D

I'm sorry though I'm going off-topic now, though I had a thought the other day which has been applied and wondered why I don't see much when it comes to comical or humourous demo programs. Doesn't have to be ground breaking, just funny. In "Fast Food" for example there were all these little funny Comical adventures with Dizzy doing things to the Ghosts when Dizzy had passed certain levels. Those sorts of things were just so funny - I had to cheat just to see all of them (it got hard when you had to play Fast Food Upside down though). I just wondered cause I haven't seen much and usually when humourous things are being done their within a game, though there's no reason why it couldn't be a program of it's own in the form of a little cartoon adventure to a comic strip.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Phi2x

Devilmarkus

Well... working on it...

Phi2x

voXfReaX

Phi2x

SyX

At last!!! :D :D :D Great Work phix2 and Devilmarkus!!!  ;D

Where i can get the last version of both emulators???  :D ;)

Phi2x

Devilmarkus

Quote from: voXfReaX on 11:59, 28 August 11

Still, there are some pixels missed in the "US" word ;)

If you even move the pixels about 1! MODE 1 pixel to the left, the result in the other text would be bad:

@Syx: cannot release anything yet because need to fix more depencies on this...
But also "Arome Tomate" looks better with this pixel delay:

SyX

Don't worry Markus, take your time :D I know that you always aim to the perfection ;)

McKlain

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:30, 24 August 11
Ooh you're SO right! And you could even have a DMA sample playing... would be fantastic!

No need for DMA  ;D

This song is a bit like "Psycho Pigs UXB", don't you think?

krusty_benediction

Quote from: phi2x on 12:07, 28 August 11
That's a "bug" in the Bloc Us demo actually ;D

I think the demo must have been designed on a Plus computer, because the Plus handle palette changes slightly differently than the CPC.
To be precise, on the Plus, palette changes occur 2 pixels (mode 1) sooner than on CPC.

To handle it perfectly in both cases, Krusty should have put a Plus detection and then sliding the bitmap 2 pixels to the left. Or some other polishing like that.

Yes, there is a bug.
No time to notice it when we did the demo.
Btw, the pictures has not been design to use split rasters, so we are lucky it works with the first letters ;)

The demo has been tested with my multicrtc machine which has weird splitraster timings (ok with crtc0 and erroneous with crtc1...).
Few dozen of minutes before finished the music I needed to ask to Hicks to validate rasters timing on his computers as I did not know which of my CRTCs was right ....

Concerning the plus, of course I am aware of that.
Few people will love my sentence, but it is voluntary if I did not manage a compatibility. This is a CPC demo, not an Amstrad plus one ;)

krusty_benediction

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 15:21, 28 August 11

@Syx: cannot release anything yet because need to fix more depencies on this...
But also "Arome Tomate" looks better with this pixel delay:

I think there are sometimes pb even in a real computer for Arom Tomate.
I often see it with wrong timings in split rasters: Maybe 4 nops with wrong color on the left.

I suppose Candy uses stables routines which can be wrongly synchronised first by catching vbl when it is already started ?

SyX

mcklain, Qué Weno!!! ;D Estás que te sales!!! Ma molao ese jingle tan alegre!!! ;)

TFM

Quote from: krusty on 21:36, 28 August 11
... This is a CPC demo, not an Amstrad plus one ;)

This brings us back to the topic of this thread finally. It's easy to check if the used CPC is a Plus, and it isn't hard at all to adapt a CPC demo to the Plus. So if a demo works not with all machines it's just pretty sad (and I wouldn't call it a demo  :P ) - except it uses effects that can only be done with a special CRTC (f.e. CRTC 0 can do a lot that can't be done by CRTC 1, not even talking about CRTC 2).
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

krusty_benediction

Quote from: TFM/FS on 02:28, 29 August 11

This brings us back to the topic of this thread finally. It's easy to check if the used CPC is a Plus, and it isn't hard at all to adapt a CPC demo to the Plus. So if a demo works not with all machines it's just pretty sad (and I wouldn't call it a demo  :P ) - except it uses effects that can only be done with a special CRTC (f.e. CRTC 0 can do a lot that can't be done by CRTC 1, not even talking about CRTC 2).

I partly agree.
Amstrad plus is a totally different machine with totally different colors than the CPC.
Even if rasters would be well synchronized, the colors chosen by Voxfreax would be different and the demo would not look what he wanted.
If a CPC demo must work on an Amstrad plus, in my opinion, it must be modified to also use AMstrad plus palette and capabilities. Otherwise, there is no interest.
Note that Bloc Us! is referenced as a CPC demo on pouet and not a CPC demo AND Amstrad plus demo.
I have not tested it on an Amstrad plus machine when developing it, but, I suppose it works on it (crtc point of view, not ga).
And the title post is about CRTC compatibility, not gate array compatibility ;) So BU fits the requirements.

BTW, I do not think other Benediction members share my point of view ;)
So our next production will probably have syncronized split rasters...

TFM

Consider people having ONLY the Plus. They would like to use software from a machine (CPC old generation), that has been mentioned as "compatible".

Sure, you're right, there are minor differences in colors, raster timing and more... but it's still not a problem to get a demo running on the Plus, even if the colors will look slightly different, but this must not even be an disadvantage.

If you go one step further and like to use some of the Plus featuren, then Great!!!
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Devilmarkus

Well, all raster changes rolled back... I'm too dumb to find the missing depending things...
So JavaCPC will stay in-accurate here.