News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Logon System will release a new demo at Revision party - Easter 2017

Started by Overflow, 16:28, 23 December 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Overflow

Hi to everyone here!

Briefly? I will release on CPC at Revision party next year - releasing that not-so-small thingie I've been previewing for 2 years or so. At Revision party I hope to meet old and new friends - and promote CPC as a demo platform. Why such an anticipated news? possibly to motivate some of you guys - to come, to code, to finalize, to release...

Off-topic (topic which is: demo!). I am amazed how the CPC scene changed last years: it looks like there's a great come-back to (retro-) gaming. Just watch: gx4000 as a hype platform (Gerald!!! look what you've done!), numerous released games and so many guys on designing games, some premières also (EGX mode!? a bullet hell shooter on 8-bit!? - and another one in the pipeline!?), CPC under the lights once more (those friends of bats did it again),...

Sounds good for the future! I am neither a player nor a game-programer, but I'm glad I can support CPC as you guys do - with my own means: some small demos over the years.

Merry Xmas!
Overflow - from Logon System - since 1988
Unregistered from CPCwiki forum.

Zoe Robinson

Thanks for this early Christmas present. We'll be looking forward to seeing what you've put together! :D

andycadley

Oooh, looking forward to what you guys come up with. And yes, I'd definitely agree that the CPC scene is having something of a renaissance at the moment.

MacDeath

QuoteOverflow - from Logon System - since 1988
I guess you shoul'have had waited one more year for the nice 30 years anniversary too...

;)

Also it is quite an uncommon sight to see a legend coming back from oblivion/retraite/newly-found-Speccy-hobby/Margarita-abuse/death-by-Velociraptor/familylife/twitch live timewaste/artery-clogging-morbid-obesity/defection-to-MSX* to announce something.

Can't be bad.

;D

Can't wait my friend to see the finished thing "that you forbid us to talk about so I won't talk about it despite YOU actualy just did..."
Hope this will kick some balls and win some prize and praises.

Joyeux Noël et Bonne Année 2017.

*pick the one you want.

MacDeath - from no team - troll since 1978

https://2017.revision-party.net/

cpc4eva

MacDeath

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSS08co8zvA

>> traitor...
:P
don't waste your time revolutioning MSX1... there is still a lot to do on CPC.
;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dwCM811BDE

not quite retired actually.

Overflow

Quote from: cpc4eva
Souvenir. This was the very first demo I've seen.
It did inspire me for a scene in my MSX1 demo:

But also: the demo I then tried to mimick. This one and Revolog (which I tried to mimick too) = The 1st age from Logon System - Longshot alone & technical innovations {1988-1989}

Release of Amazing Demo started The 2nd age from Logon System = Longshot's outlook of a super-group - which had its climax with The Demo {1989-1991}

I believe I'm (main?) part of The 3rd age of Logon System with S&KOH and too many previews including the famous(?) Shadow of the Beast screen (read here for more) {1991-1992}

Quote from: MacDeathnot quite retired actually.
Just watch by yourself: a rushed/bugged/unpolished intro in 2001, an overpolished simple 4KB in 2012, a dentro on a infamous platform in 2015. Only 3 small releases over 15 years! I do like the idea of being retired - but still supporting the Scene with small releases through the years.

Quote from: MacDeath>> traitor... :P don't waste your time revolutioning MSX1...
That demo on MSX1 gave me too many headaches: so many (in)compatibility issues! plus emulation missing some points.
I did think about coding a MSX2 intro, but I fear: which soundcard? versus shame on AY sound only! compatible with overclocked-z80/MSX2+? compatible with turbo-R? does not work on my Japanese 60Hz machine? ...

Quote from: MacDeathCan't wait my friend to see the finished thing "that you forbid us to talk about so I won't talk about it despite YOU actualy just did..."
Well... likely early next year, a major release on Amstrad CPC (which my heart belongs to) from here.
Ce n'est pas un secret: je prévois de releaser la démo trapue (petite mais costaude) à Pâques l'année prochaine from there.

There might be around 30 french CPC-sceners which have seen my Work-In-Progress - since 2014 in various parties (pre-CPCrulez partly 2014, Reset 2015, micro-Alchimie 2015, Alchimie 2016). I do think it gives motivation to people to see things at parties - as I do think it gives another motivation by announcing the release. Secret 'til the release? challenging other guys by improper texts? naaa, definitely not my style.

Quote from: MacDeathHope this will (...) win some prize and praises.
Well, let's face it: my release looks like an intro and should not get any prize against demos - just think about length, content, gfx. Then, praise? not sure! I believe I'll get that kind of comment: "What a waste of time! he could have coded a great trackmo to compete with C64 ones!" This is... my way - Demo is Art - I did exactly what I wanted to - and I did my best. I guess (I hope!) that some sceners will think "What an unexpected UFO!" - nothing could please me more. Apart from this, as a teaser let's say: there are 4 features which make my upcoming release unusual - 2 of them are big FX on screen.

[just kidding]
@MacDeath: I thought that speechless-Demoniak hired you as full member from Logon System? Marketing Department I was told.
Quote from: MacDeathnewly-found-Speccy-hobby
Hey!? I never told to anyone that I now code on Speccy (2+)! how did you guess that???
Quote from: MacDeathHope this will kick some balls
Kick some balls?? for obvious reasons I'd like better to kick some (nice) asses.
[/just kidding]

Overflow - from Marketing Department too
Unregistered from CPCwiki forum.

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

MacDeath

QuoteHey!? I never told to anyone that I now code on Speccy (2+)! how did you guess that???
actually I was thinking ZX81... a logical devolution after your prod for the MSX1 (well at least one or two models of MSX1, and perhaps one MSX2 actually, the other models/brands failed the compatibility...)
:P
Still I hope you'll release something for my TO8 one day.

BSC

Kind of an aphorism on demo-making:

Quote from: Overflow on 18:46, 02 January 17
This is... my way - Demo is Art - I did exactly what I wanted to - and I did my best.

Quite nailed it, I'd say.
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Overflow on 16:28, 23 December 16
Hi to everyone here!

Briefly? I will release on CPC at Revision party next year - releasing that not-so-small thingie I've been previewing for 2 years or so. At Revision party I hope to meet old and new friends - and promote CPC as a demo platform. Why such an anticipated news? possibly to motivate some of you guys - to come, to code, to finalize, to release...

Off-topic (topic which is: demo!). I am amazed how the CPC scene changed last years: it looks like there's a great come-back to (retro-) gaming. Just watch: gx4000 as a hype platform (Gerald!!! look what you've done!), numerous released games and so many guys on designing games, some premières also (EGX mode!? a bullet hell shooter on 8-bit!? - and another one in the pipeline!?), CPC under the lights once more (those friends of bats did it again),...

Sounds good for the future! I am neither a player nor a game-programer, but I'm glad I can support CPC as you guys do - with my own means: some small demos over the years.

Merry Xmas!
Overflow - from Logon System - since 1988
And what a production it was. Is that gameboy the biggest 3d rendered object on a cpc ever? Stunning demo. I watched it live on the twitch feed and have run it many times since on my various cpc. I love it. A true classic Logon production. Many thanks and we'll done on the 2nd place. Putting 8 and 16 bit machines in the same compo is always gonna make getting a 1st place a challenge.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3t using Tapatalk

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

francouai

Overflow >  félicitation, ta nouvelle demo tue.
J'ose imaginer la meme prod a la belle epoque. :P
--
francois

BSC

Just in case you want to know who Overflow achieved this:

http://norecess.cpcscene.net/the-elders-scrollers.html
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

HAL6128

...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

Skunkfish

It's like a magician revealing the secrets behind all of his tricks, I don't know whether to look or not!  ???
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

villain

Quote from: Skunkfish on 16:33, 26 April 17
It's like a magician revealing the secrets behind all of his tricks, I don't know whether to look or not!  ???

Making a good demo is sooooooooo much more than knowing the tricks behind.  8)

trocoloco

All this magic in 22k? Simply amazing, hats off to Overflow/Logon System for this demo!

TMR

i'm quite pleased with myself for getting roughly how it worked when watching the live stream. It made the commentary more amusing at least! =-)

AxelStone

I suposse you are talking about this demo:
&feature=youtu.be

Really impressive, how in the hell they get so fast animations?  :o :o

Morri

Quote from: AxelStone on 18:58, 26 June 17
Really impressive, how in the hell they get so fast animations?  :o :o
Short story, hardware scroll over a pre-rendered image.
For long story, Logon explains the whole demo process, see BSC's link above.
Keeping it Kiwi since 1977

AxelStone

Quote from: Morri on 20:32, 26 June 17
Short story, hardware scroll over a pre-rendered image.
For long story, Logon explains the whole demo process, see BSC's link above.

I suposse that everything is precalculated but even so it's impressive since it moves really fast. I mean, full screen scroll implies a very fast drawing. What resolution uses the demo?

roudoudou

Quote from: AxelStone on 09:55, 27 June 17

I suposse that everything is precalculated but even so it's impressive since it moves really fast. I mean, full screen scroll implies a very fast drawing. What resolution uses the demo?

No, it's not pre-rendered, it's rendered in the background. Remember the whole intro is 22kb
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

AxelStone

Quote from: roudoudou on 12:17, 27 June 17

No, it's not pre-rendered, it's rendered in the background. Remember the whole intro is 22kb

So it's pre-generated by Z80? I didn't know that CPC had such hidden power.

roudoudou

Quote from: AxelStone on 20:29, 27 June 17

So it's pre-generated by Z80? I didn't know that CPC had such hidden power.

see the link, all is explained and there is many previews in DSK, including a 3D engine
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

Sice

What an incredible demo...it is pure art! I am sure in years to come people will look at this demo and it will be appreciated for what it is  :)

The unique style, the smooth animation, the small size - how is this possible in 22k!! It reminds me of when I first saw Oneder on C64 by Oxyron and was amazed at all the effects that were crammed into one file.

It was amazing to watch. Please never leave the CPC, your demos are the best and I love watching them!

Now I want to try and contribute back to the scene again...maybe I will write a song using the new arkos tracker...