News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New Basic Demo for CPC 6128

Started by Bytebreaker, 23:24, 13 February 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Bytebreaker

Hi there,

please let me introduce myself. I originate from the Amiga demoscene and was a diskmag editor back in the late 90s. A few years ago I rediscovered my Amiga hobby, and along with it came my interest for 8bitters. Being a Commodore child it is not easy to say for me that the CPC is to me the most adult, ruling 8bit machine with superior Basic and breathtaking demo abilities (thank you, Batman group). As far as I can judge, the CPC is the only computer on which Basic demos can be done at all without looking too shitty.

So I want to present you a Basic demo I made that was inspired by the line effect in the CPC464 welcome cassette. Until now I did not manage to reproduce this effect 1:1 so if anyone has ripped the sourcecode I would be grateful to view it. I am still a beginner and I know that I will never reach the level of people like that polish guy who optimized the CPC boing ball effect here in this forum, but as long as I feel love and passion for the CPC, I will continue to try and learn. I also plan an intro in 6502 assembler on the C64 as soon as I have learned enough and then one day I will learn Z80 assembler.

You start the demo with run"disc. Please also note the analog clock I added as a bonus. It works with the interrupt function that was already there in 1984 with Basic 1.0. My demo also works in modified form on a real CPC 464 on a real cassette tape. The only reason why I promote it as a CPC 6128 demo is the built-in fill function and the dsk support, which makes everything much smoother and better. Don't be scared by the first effect, which is rather a technical feasibility study than a smooth effect. Try CTRL-Shift-F4 in WinCPC and you will see what's it about.  I am grateful to be part of the Amstrad community now. Thanks for being here.

ukmarkh

Keep up the good work! Love the real time clock  ;)

||C|-|E||

Welcome to the forum and the Amstrad community! Your demo is really lovely!  :D

Bytebreaker

Thanks for your encouragement.  :D

Fessor

Welcome to the Forum.
Which effect? Colour-Cycling?
10 MODE 0
20 INK 0,0:BORDER 0
30 DIM c(16)
40 DATA 24,12,9,18,22,23,11,2,1,4,3,6,7,15,25
50 FOR i=1 TO 15:READ c(i):INK i,c(i):NEXT
60 DEG
70 FOR i=0 TO 360
80 MOVE 320,200
90 DRAW 320+200*SIN(i),200+200*COS(i),1+(i MOD 15)
100 NEXT
110 c(16)=c(1)
120 FOR i=1 TO 15
130 c(i)=c(i+1)
140 INK i,c(i)
150 NEXT
160 GOTO 110

Bytebreaker

@ Fessor

Thanks this is great.
Do you also have a sourcecode for lines that form a mathematical pattern? Ok, your circle of lines is exayctly this, but in the CPC 464 welcome tape (Basic 1.0. 1984) side A you also see lines that seem to follow weird sin/cos movements. I cannot explain it better so I attached the tape so you will see.

Token

Hi and welcome Bytebreaker! Welcome like the name of the original Amstrad CPC demo  ;) and your cool BASIC demo. Really well done, I find it lovely as other.

Fessor

Morri

Well done! For a first time demo this is very good. You have already addressed some very complicated aspects of Locomotive Basic. 8)
Keeping it Kiwi since 1977

Bytebreaker

@ Fessor

Great! Thanks for the hint.

SRS

Cool :)

Welcome / Willkommen !

And we use Schneider, not Amstrad *lol*

Gryzor

A bit late, but welcome! As a kid I loved all those little lines/shapes demos in magazines...