News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New Musik Projekt

Started by BSC, 22:35, 26 April 20

Previous topic - Next topic

BSC

Dear Everyone!

Just today begun a new, special musik projekt by me, which will consist of many releases of very special musikal pieces.

The first piece is called Musik100 and is dedicated to Cocio & Finsprit, two renowned composers well known to the connoiseur.

Download the attachment and enjoy!

On a more serious note: This was made with a new kind of audio engine which I have started playing around with just recently.
The engine is based on 1-bit ZX Spectrum music and the so-called sync buzzer effect which plays around with the PSGs volume
envelope registers for some nice bass tones. There's more where that came from :)

Also on soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/betasoftcologne/cocio-and-finsprit-6-channel-preview
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

tony

can't wait to hear uncoming creative sounds  :o

BSC

I was so determined to make more of those, but the lazy bum that I also am keeps distracting me :D
At least I am full of ideas, so I just need to find some time - probably not before november, when we all
enjoy being at home all day ...
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

BSC

Another little demo which I have made some months ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DI_ExHiFvk

megachur

Quote from: BSC on 14:31, 05 August 20
Another little demo which I have made some months ago
Do you think we can convert some ZX Spectrum Buzzer Music (or do new Amstrad CPC Buzzer-AY music)  with your marvelous sound tehcnics ?

BSC

Quote from: megachur on 05:47, 06 August 20Do you think we can convert some ZX Spectrum Buzzer Music (or do new Amstrad CPC Buzzer-AY music)  with your marvelous sound tehcnics ?

Absolutely! A lot of things are possible:

- Convert classic ZX tunes likes the ones made by Tim Follin.
- Use existing Soundtrakker songs (that's how I made musik100*) and a converter script.
- Writing new (ideally) ST songs to be converted.
- Combining AY voices (like A and C) with multi-channel 1-bit music on voice B for 4,5 or 6 channel music.

As I wrote before: I have a lot of ideas (and some half baked prototypes lying around), but I prefer coding outside of DST  :D

*musik100 is here:

https://soundcloud.com/betasoftcologne/cocio-and-finsprit-6-channel-preview

GUNHED

Another great technical archievement. Congratulations. However IMHO it sounds terrible. The PSG can do so much great music (listen to recent games), wouldn't it be better to focus on something beautiful instead on some great technical archievement which hurts in the ears. Don't forget the CPC will be judged the most of the time just by what people see and hear.  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Otto

Quote from: GUNHED on 13:51, 06 August 20
However IMHO it sounds terrible.
Yes, it truly is high-tech Katzenmusik  (cacophony, cats' concert).
Nothing compared to the beautiful crystal-clear AY-sound.

BSC

Quote from: Otto on 14:18, 06 August 20Yes, it truly is high-tech Katzenmusik  (cacophony, cats' concert).
Nothing compared to the beautiful crystal-clear AY-sound.

5 people like it, so you are in the minority :-P Apart from that I am fully aware that this is not mainstream CPC music.
But I am also pretty sure that if you played your regular "crystal-clear AY-sound" to 100 random people in the street,
the majority would call this Katzenmusik as well. It all depends ..

Shining

Like BSC said: If a composer uses this for producing a bass line on one channel, and then uses the other two the "normal" way, you could possibly get a nice tune which sounds different than everything you listened to before.

Like some know, I really LOVE the AY and the music composed for it. Demo coders are always trying to get the newest fancy visual stuff out of CPC but in my opinion the AY needs much more treatment and love here to surprise us.

@BSC: Did you do also some experiments using your approach on AY register 15 to get something like the TAO sync buzzer?
TGS is back

Download my productions at:
cpc.scifinet.org

BSC

Quote from: Shining on 06:32, 07 August 20Did you do also some experiments using your approach on AY register 15 to get something like the TAO sync buzzer?

Thanks for you interest! :)

I think you are talking about register 13 (aka ENVELOPE SHAPE/CYCLE CONTROL). Register 15 (and 14) are IO registers which don't play any role in audio generation.
Anyways :) This 1-bit engine is some kind of sync buzzer on steroids and relies on changing (and thus resetting!) the envelope depending on the pitch of the notes I want to play.
It mixes 2 or more of those together by switching the envelope from what I internally call LO to HI and vice versa, depending on some counters which in turn depend on the pitch
of the notes to play. This is more or less how all the 1-bit engines on the Speccy basically work. There are much more sophisticated engines out there which I have not yet tried.
Musik100 (https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=85468) and this little demo on YouTube are not much more than proof-of-concept for the CPC. The video on YouTube btw is
showing 4 different combinations of LO/HI envelope setting (as can be seen on screen when carefully watching the wave-forms) with very different audible results. I think I have
the tendency to release prototypes instead of full-fledged productions with a coherent design and such. I think that I actually prefer releasing early (prototypes). Much of it is due
to me being a real slacker :D

Anyways(2): There will be more of this in the future.

Shining

Thanks for the tech behind !

Yes, I meant the ENV- register.

It's great to get some more proof of concept examples in the future. But more than releasing some full-fledged
great trackers it would be great to have some new full-fledged BSC-tunes using this  ;D .
TGS is back

Download my productions at:
cpc.scifinet.org

BSC

Something I forgot: The engine is actually a bit more sophisticated than what I explained, as I also set the Envelope Fine Tune Register (Register 11)
to very tiny values (Register 12 is zero), resulting in some kind of filter effect. This can also be seen in the video on YouTube. No more secrets left now :)

Edit: LOL, I really wonder why this editor widget keeps adding random font-size tags :facepalm:

Gryzor

Just found out about this. I don't understand the discussion between this technique and 'pure' AY sound - both sound terrible to my mom, and I love both. It's quite impressive!!! Did it give me a headache? Of course. Does it matter? Of course not! :D