News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ReSet #8 compositions and results.

Started by MacDeath, 15:50, 23 June 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Axelay

Quote from: arnoldemu on 13:48, 26 June 12
http://www.cpctech.org.uk/source/overscn.asm

I actually did use that, except that I changed R2 from 48 to 50, and R6 to 34.  I wouldnt have thought R6 would be an issue, R2=48 isn't even close to the edge of the screen though, and R2=50 with R3=&89 is still less than R0 at &3f?

arnoldemu

Quote from: Axelay on 13:58, 26 June 12

I actually did use that, except that I changed R2 from 48 to 50, and R6 to 34.  I wouldnt have thought R6 would be an issue, R2=48 isn't even close to the edge of the screen though, and R2=50 with R3=&89 is still less than R0 at &3f?
I didn't test with r2=50, so I can't say.
hmm.. I have put my type 5 in storage for the moment so i can't test with it.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Axelay

Quote from: mr_lou on 13:17, 26 June 12
The v4 version now has the title picture jumping up'n'down insanely. Loading still stops. Pressing whatever doesn't do anything.
The v4 sec version halts rather fast with a red vertical line on the left and a red vertical line on the right. As if the screen is red, but with a big black box on top of it.

OK, for the sake of the argument, I have changed the loader to exactly as in arnoldemu's example.  Could you please try this version?  Another thought.  Does the game freeze immediately on displaying the overscan image, or does it load a file after that but then do nothing?

TomEtJerry

Hi,

For the overscan picture of my next game, I use these values :

&01,&30,&02,&32,&06,&22,&07,&23,&0C,&0D,&0D,&00

and &03 = &05 if the CRTC is type 2.

The picture display is an overscan one done with ConvImgCPC.

If that can help...

mr_lou

Quote from: Axelay on 14:20, 26 June 12OK, for the sake of the argument, I have changed the loader to exactly as in arnoldemu's example.  Could you please try this version?  Another thought.  Does the game freeze immediately on displaying the overscan image, or does it load a file after that but then do nothing?

Everything works in that version yes. Title picture is displayed fine, loading continues, and game works.
The only thing that's not working correctly now is the level-movement. It's very chunky. But that's probably because my CPC is connected to a LCD screen and not a CRT screen.
If important, I can test on a CRT to check.

The version that didn't work, continued loading for a while after the title picture. Then stopped.

MacDeath

QuoteNot 100% sure this is Moebius
look at the boxe photo I posted, we can see the signature (despite the low resolution) on the right of the girl.

looks like "moebius". 8)
Overscan as such can't be the problem since I've seen lots of overscan stuff running on my CPC464.
the problem with overscan on those 464 (perhaps even 664) machines (64K anyway) is that it uses... 32 fucking Ks...

this is umongous... half the RAM used at one point for the screen display.

This can screw a bit with the loading of the rest of the Datas and game I guess if not clearly checked or taken into account.

Axelay

Quote from: mr_lou on 15:26, 26 June 12
Everything works in that version yes. Title picture is displayed fine, loading continues, and game works.
The only thing that's not working correctly now is the level-movement. It's very chunky. But that's probably because my CPC is connected to a LCD screen and not a CRT screen.
If important, I can test on a CRT to check.

The version that didn't work, continued loading for a while after the title picture. Then stopped.

Thanks for testing that.  Can you tell me, that last one that worked, was the image actually centred in the screen?

And yes, the scrolling not happening on an LCD is essentially expected as I understand it.

tastefulmrship

Quote from: MacDeath on 15:40, 26 June 12
the problem with overscan on those 464 (perhaps even 664) machines (64K anyway) is that it uses... 32 fucking Ks...
Actually, an average static overscan screen only takes up 24k, but because it sits between two chunks of memory, it takes up 32k. It is still possible, and very common, to place code in the 8k that's left between the two halves of the picture.

mr_lou

Quote from: Axelay on 15:48, 26 June 12Thanks for testing that.  Can you tell me, that last one that worked, was the image actually centred in the screen?

Compared to
this video I'd say the picture is a bit higher vertically and a tiny little bit to the right.

TFM

Well the kind of overscan I use for my engine uses up 29,25 KB. Which means it uses 91,4% of the 32 KB RAM block. That's ok I guess.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Optimus

Overscan scares me in case of double buffering. I always use doublebuffering in my demos now. Though if I did oldschool 50hz effects with proper timing, I guess I wouldn't need the second buffer.

voXfReaX

So, can we perhaps start speaking about the entries for ReSeT#8 now? :/

Gryzor

Quote from: voXfReaX on 09:49, 30 June 12
So, can we perhaps start speaking about the entries for ReSeT#8 now? :/

Yup. I cleaned the topic and moved the irrelevant posts to the Hall of Shame under a single thread. If there are any I missed please report them...

fano

I really love Glory Holes, a fresh concept on CPC.Vectorial way has not been a lot used on CPC.
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

voXfReaX

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:10, 30 June 12
Yup. I cleaned the topic and moved the irrelevant posts to the Hall of Shame under a single thread. If there are any I missed please report them...
Thanks! The latest posts were totally off-topic...

Quote from: fano on 11:27, 30 June 12

I really love Glory Holes, a fresh concept on CPC.Vectorial way has not been a lot used on CPC.
Indeed! Glory Holes was a great idea, even though it was not that original, but 'imported' from another scene... Nevertheless, it's something seen for the first time on CPC and the screens made by the Grim, Beb and CeD are simply great and, imo, are in a higher level than the ones in 'Psylteflesk' by Ephidrena.

CPC just began, but is still rising ;)
See you,
voxy

TotO

I just though that pictures was not appropriate for it.
Need to use more little circles to increase the dynamic.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

voXfReaX

Quote from: TotO on 13:09, 30 June 12
I just though that pictures was not appropriate for it.
Need to use more little circles to increase the dynamic.

Perhaps you're right TotO, but notice that every circle is designed manually (by writing the coordinates for each circle in the source code). So, I admit that I found it rather difficult to complete my own screen, since I am not used to use circles only when I am actually designing a screen. Nevertheless, the final results with all the screens (I don't speak about mine - I can't be an objective judge), are really nice, especially CeD's Nebulus.
In any case, the source code is available here, so why don't you show us what you can? :) Go Easter Egg, go!

[edit] And because I don't want to be misenterpeted by anyone, I am inviting TotO in the most welcome and friendlier manner ;) [/edit]

fano

What ? what ? a declaration of war ?  :-*
As we spoke , i would be tempted by the subject but we actually have a lot of work since reset #8  ;)

voXfReaX

Quote from: fano on 17:26, 30 June 12
What ? what ? a declaration of war ?  :-*
As we spoke , i would be tempted by the subject but we actually have a lot of work since reset #8  ;)
Benediction vs. Easter Egg? That sounds challenging ;)
Yes, I remember our conversation in the train station, so good luck to your projects Fano! Looking forward to watching them :)

fano

Benediction in game making ? yeah ! we'd like too see groups with high technical potential doing games (we must say we miss someone to send  private jokes in our next prod like we did in R-Type)
Good luck for your projects too and see ya soon  ;)

MacDeath

QuoteBenediction vs. Easter Egg
Demo Vs Games ?

are you serious ? :)

fano

nope , read carefully , he invited us to make demos (and i invited him to make games)

Gryzor

Why? I always jiggle my joystick when watching demos.

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:03, 02 July 12
I always jiggle my joystick when watching demos.
Now that's a picture I just didn't want or need to have in my head... will it ever go away?  ???

What about an interactive demo? I always found demos a bit too non-involving. I'd like to see demos that are different every time, depending on user input.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Quote from: Bryce on 15:05, 02 July 12
Now that's a picture I just didn't want or need to have in my head... will it ever go away?  ???

Not my fault you're a perv!

I remember some demos on the ST being interactive. There was that famous megademo where you controlled a character that entered gates to the various demo parts, and then some allowed you to control on-screen action witht he cursor keys and whatnot...