News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ReSet #8 compositions and results.

Started by MacDeath, 15:50, 23 June 12

Previous topic - Next topic

MacDeath

Ok, not an official topic, but I started it anyway.

here you may post your composition, pictures and results.

I will personaly edit my first post in order to release here my own composition (graphical) this night, when the contest will happen (like, 22H in France).

I just hope they recieved my Mail... :(

Post Edit : ok here it is...

Re-post Edit :
the results according to P'n'P :

QuoteResults are:

GFX :
1. rexbeng
2. CED
3. Grim
4. Mc Death
5. Exin
6. Pulkomandy
7. Egotrip
CoaXCable

MUSIC :

1. Pulkomandy
2. Zik
3. Voyager
4. Egotrip

DEMOS :
1. Krusty and co
2. Dirty Minds
3. Egotrip

Files will be available soon!

Optimus

I hope they receive emails at Saturday in the partyplace.
I have sent my entry morning and then an update 4 hours ago.
It was a thriller trying to compress my entry unter the 4k limit while I had an exomizer version that crashed.

I wish there was live streaming too but that's too much for a small party I guess :)

Well, I wish I was there..

MacDeath

tastefulmrship, you said you hated the demoscene... and now... 2 likes ?

QuoteI wish there was live streaming too but that's too much for a small party I guess
haha, all you need is a portable computer, a Webcam and some internet connection... but I guess too many beers and Retro computers only is not of help...
It's even a miracle I managed to send my little production at all... thx to Toto and his smartphone. :o

On  the other hand, the Internet Amstrad CPC/PLUS solution is not yet practical nor finished... :(

anyway...

Intro 4K :

Clouds with Virgins in the Skies by Dirty Minds
Push'n'Pop | Amstrad CPC Demoscene | Clouds with Virgins in the Skies by Dirty
&#9733 CPCRULEZ &#9733 DEMOSCENE DEMOS &#9733 Clouds with Virgins in the Skies
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=59387

Music Disk (not in competition)

Tracks from the early 90's
Push'n'Pop | Amstrad CPC Demoscene | Tracks from the early 90's
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=59389

I'm so curious to see all the Graphic stuffs... lots of peoples participated... i guess we can expect a lot of good stuff..
Very curious to see what the Russian guy have to offer ...
I hope I won't be the only guy to have done something for PLUS.

Also awaiting the result for the R-Type128 contest and the various photos and perhaps even videos...

tastefulmrship

Quote from: MacDeath on 19:08, 24 June 12
tastefulmrship, you said you hated the demoscene... and now... 2 likes ?
I never said I hated the demoscene (in total), I've been a huge fan of demos since the Amiga days! I used to visit the olde Copy Parties of the late 80s, early 90s; bringing a huge pile of 3½" disks in a plastic Tesco carrier-bag! Filling them up with new releases (both games and demos) then grabbing the train home to sit infront of my A600 with my mates and enjoy a beer and a smoke or two! Great fun!

As for the two prods released so far; your image is exceptionally nice and Optimus's cloud machine is technically very impressive and fast! Hence the "likes". I enjoyed MrLou's musicdisk as well, so that got another "like". Credit where credit is due!

I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing the other stuffz released!

MacDeath

Quoteyour image is exceptionally nice
seriously ? you're talking about my entrie ?

oh thx a lot then.
Sadly, a Greek seem to have won. :(
(well, good for him)

PLUS productions are never well liked, as if it was cheating or something to use a PLUS. ::)

I suppose many productions were better than mine (well, i hope so), as I quite rushed it a bit to the release in the End I guess.

What I liked is that more then 10 peoples sais they would participate in the Graphic contest, which is excellent, as we know good old Amstrad 8 bit is supposed to be good on graphics.

So I can't wait for all of those jewels to be released at last.

Devilmarkus

Quote from: MacDeath on 19:59, 24 June 12
Quoteyour image is exceptionally nice
seriously ? you're talking about my entrie ?

I also like your entry much!
It's a cool picture! We need more of this stuff!

Perhaps also for old CPCs? ;)
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

MacDeath

To be fair i was quite surprised myself about how overscan fullscreen mode0 can look well on good old PLUS monitor.

the colours have no scanlines visible actually... the only issue is the slight remaining border on some sides (but it varies greatly depending from monitor to monitors, as I tried on 2 different ones...) and it appeared that the said 192x272 resolution (or 384x272 or whatever) is actually "in theory" but you should not put important stuffs in the border of the picture (keep it to the safe zone).

the Mode0 pixels don't look that big, except perhaps on the center of the screen...
after all, those old monitors are far from being "flat" at all. 

Thx to all of you who helped me to get it "executable", especially you, Markus.
you managed to convert me into CPCjava... a clever move.

Post edit : updated the first post : fresh from P'n'P

QuoteResults are:

GFX :
1. rexbeng
2. CED
3. Grim
4. Mc Death
5. Exin
6. Pulkomandy
7. Egotrip
CoaXCable

MUSIC :

1. Pulkomandy
2. Zik
3. Voyager
4. Egotrip

DEMOS :
1. Krusty and co
2. Dirty Minds
3. Egotrip

Files will be available soon!
looks like a few contestant couldn't actually participate/release in time.

can't wait for the demos to be released too.

(MalcDeathom in the middle... :'( )

Grim

Wow! Looks great! If this, is a rushed job, well... I definitely want to see what a well finished one looks like! :)

MacDeath

QuoteWow! Looks great! If this, is a rushed job, well... I definitely want to see what a well finished one looks like!
says the guy who managed to reach 3rd place, just above me...
I guess not being there to vote for myself didn't helped me...
nor being under the "BDC-Iron Fan Club" tag team banner... :laugh:

Yo be fair, I was speaking about the background, wich was a bit rushed because it took me a long time to figure what to put in.
so lots of greys and a slightly rushed ditherings, also to many comic style border on the foreground models...
A few pixels are still  hurting my eyes.

thx anyway.
Can't wait to see yours too.

Post Edit :
Talking about that, can't any body post their creations too ? or are you waiting an "official release ?

rexbeng

Quote from: MacDeath on 20:58, 24 June 12
Can't wait to see yours too.
Oh noes, guys, please use PMs when you want to get out of the closet :P  :D
rb

MacDeath

tsk tsk, those greeks and their strange sexual habits... ;D

This is not the same here in France... well... with me anyway.
others perhaps.

Can't you post yours too instead of "hetero bashing" us ? :)

Some explanations too :

tastefulmrship

Quote from: MacDeath on 21:55, 24 June 12

To be honest, it fits the CPCold palette quite nicely as it is. It just loses a little of the ambience and becomes, well, more comic-like (ie like almost all CPCold pictures).

EDIT: I got bored, so here's a .dsk that will work on both CPC+ and CPCold.

rexbeng

Well the picture of MacDeath is comic-like anyway (heavy on black outlines, clean colors, shading that is more or less traditional ie volumes of gray and red). Nice composition and nice idea, despite being inspired from another image. I largely support this over the trend of reworked transfers on the CPC  :) . It looks as if it were the intro screen from a game (it is very game-ish after all).

MacDeath, I think I will wait for the official (pack?) release from PnP :)

rb

arnoldemu

I think MacDeath's picture is great.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

TotO

Quote from: Grim on 20:53, 24 June 12
Wow! Looks great! If this, is a rushed job, well... I definitely want to see what a well finished one looks like! :)
Absolutely ! I though he will get the 3rd place. :)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

MacDeath

QuoteMacDeath, I think I will wait for the official (pack?) release from PnP
don't wait no more, all those pics and results seem to be downloadable by now...

Push'n'Pop | Amstrad CPC Demoscene | ReSeT #8

ok, some personnal comments :

first, how do I load .scr files in Basic ?
sorry this must be very basic but I expected simpler loader system...

=7th ReSeT party 2012 by CoaXCable
a .scr file, havent loaded it yet (please help the noob I am)

=7th ReSeT #8 graphics by Egotrip
nice non figurative "paint vortex".

=6th Alice3 by Pulkomandy
a mode5 picture and a tribute to the "lolAlicelulz" computer.
fun to see so many colours in "mode1" resolution, sadly a few "attributes clashes" with the emulator (winape), I gotta try it on a real machine I guess.
also i guess such picture could be done even betterly on a Plus with just rasters and Hardssprites patches.
yet Mode5 seems quite dificult to compose with to me... the "de facto attributes" being quite weird.
Also looks like a quite straight conversion from an existing nice picture.

Alice computers were quite well known in France as machines for kids to learn Basic.. needless to say the low specs were completely screwed by Amstrad CPC.

=5th Three Ponies by Exin
Ponies !!! brohoof !
well, another .scr file, I never know how to load them anyway, Sad because i want to see it...

=4th The drive belt exorcism ritual by Mac Death
I already commented a lot my stuff.

=3rd Mad Leprechaun by Grim
ok, it loads easily (run"ml) and get some démo effects at loading...
Low res interlaced 200x546x16 (Mode0 ?)
haven't tried on real yet but is flickering and blurred on emulator.
And oh... it is a quite straight conversion from an existing art by another... :(

=2nd EightBall by CeD
nice LOBO comics reinterpretation.
cool logos, very Demoscenic stuff.
don't know in what proportion it is converted from a LOBO (DC comics character) existing picture or really inspired and fully handdrawn but the background and logos and stuff look quite originally done (and after all I also used a few existing sources heavily redone).
Ditherings are nice, trying "hard" to look C64ish (greys and browns and pastels...) must get it on a real monitor too I guess.

I guess what paid is that the palette effort due to being an OLD CPC format (I choosed the easy way with PLUS) and the dithering and shapes perfectly cleanly done and well executed.

=1st FED by rexbeng
ok, Mode1, full use of ditherings and sweet design.
the RGB+black looks a bit like some spectrum stuffs, yet thx to the lack of attribute and a better CPC palette (the blue is a mix of blue and cyan actually ?), very smoother.
Again gotta look at it on a real computer I guess, the design looks quite original too, I hope it is..

Gryzor

Wow, really lovely pic! I will print it out for my desk :)

Also, just watched Clouds. I can't really appreciate its 4k mega-awesomeness, but it does look really cool. Shame I'm at the office and can't listen to the tune...

Devilmarkus

I compared all GFX in this competitions...
For me the picture from MacDeath is the best.
Why?
- It's handpainted and no conversation.
- It has many details and is nice to view.
- Sure rasters and tricky MODE 1 usage are cool, too, but I prefer the simpliest method to show something on screen.
- Interlace is nice, too, but do we really need it in a comic-like picture? The same image looks without interlacing good, too.
- Logos are also nice, but somehow "everyone already has seen this"

Of course thats my personal opinion, and should not be aggressive against anyone... Everyone made cool results but I most like MacDeath's one ;)

And this has nothing to do, because I helped him a bit...

tastefulmrship

Quote from: MacDeath on 10:39, 25 June 12
=5th Three Ponies by Exin
Ponies !!! brohoof !
well, another .scr file, I never know how to load them anyway, Sad because i want to see it...
Just RUN" the .SCR file. It is an auto-loading screen.

The only one I can't seem to view is the Coax screen. It's just a &C000-&FFFF screen file... does it have a doody loader somewhere? |CPM perhaps? Or, does anyone know the palette numbers? It's definitely MODE 0 but is it CPC+ or CPCold?

Other than that, a high level of graphic quality and lots of entries. Mucho congrats to all who contributed!

MUSIC COMPO:
I liked V0yager's and Zik's tunes very much and would have expected one of them to have won the compo. The first set of arpegios sound wrong on Pulkomandy's version of Martin Galway's Comic Bakery, but it's still nice.

TomEtJerry

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 12:55, 25 June 12
I compared all GFX in this competitions...
For me the picture from MacDeath is the best.
Why?
- It's handpainted and no conversation.
- It has many details and is nice to view.
- Sure rasters and tricky MODE 1 usage are cool, too, but I prefer the simpliest method to show something on screen.
- Interlace is nice, too, but do we really need it in a comic-like picture? The same image looks without interlacing good, too.
- Logos are also nice, but somehow "everyone already has seen this"

Of course thats my personal opinion, and should not be aggressive against anyone... Everyone made cool results but I most like MacDeath's one ;)

And this has nothing to do, because I helped him a bit...

Next year, come to the meeting and vote for MacDeath !
I like too his screen, but I prefer Ced's one, for its original colours (at the beginning, I was thinking it was a Plus screen :-) ).

Devilmarkus

Indeed, Ced's contribution is cool, too... Nothing to say.
The colour usage and dithering is well used here.

MacDeath

QuoteJust RUN" the .SCR file
ok the exact loading needs :
run"exinpic.scr

got it...

OMG, pinkie pie and Rainbow dash and Fluttershy... how cute.
fullscreen and full use of ditherings...but I guess the CPC palette could have been slightly betterly put in contribution and still be accurate (I myself did some palettes tries on those ponies...)
nice job on the eyes though.

Quotebut I prefer Ced's one, for its original colours
sadly I have to aggree his dithering and antialiasing job is impressive so no technical flaw.

just the theme/composition, looks a bit too much like a cracktro graphic IMO but otherwise it is well finished job, awesome palette work and deserved its place..
(the CPC old palette is quite difficult to work with...)

same for CED by Rexbend... the dithering and use of the mode1 is great, the design is good too and so on.

QuoteInterlace is nice, too, but do we really need it in a comic-like picture? The same image looks without interlacing good, too.
that's what i think too... but the technical aspect/prowness is a classic standard in demoscene.
next time I'll try to add rasters and sprites so it would be more technically impressive than a plain 16 colour mode0. ;D
(I had no time actually... but a few details could have used Hardsprites...)

Sadly i'm not a huge fan of those flickering technics...
interlacing and flashouilles (flickerings) are not working that well IMO... just a matter of opinion i guess.

perhaps partial flickerings would be better... like you flicker only 8 colours from the 16 in mode0... so the 8 non flickering colours don't flicker and the picture may then be more stable I guess.

Quote- It's handpainted and no conversation.
actually mouse painted, also "conversation" = "talkings" in French...
and it is not like I started from completely nothing too.

Devilmarkus

Oops... Of course I meant "conversion"  :-*

MacDeath

Ok, last intervention from me on this :

I opened a new topic at CPCrulez...
http://cpcrulez.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4892&p=20531#p20531

there you can see all my sources, inspirations and the many phase my screen went through...

if it interest you, enjoy.

(in French, sometimes...)

eliot

A general point of view from the organizer: it was a very good edition for the ReSeT Party!

The presence of foreign people and newcomers is still a proof of the interest for meeting CPC people and watching or talking about the real hardware, expansions and current projects... 

The number of entries for the compos is rather good, maybe we could expect more in the demo category. The graphics compo really gives interesting things and debates. Go on graphists! Thanks to all the persons submitting something to the compos... 

Also good that the event is the moment to release some prods out of competitions like Super Edge Grinder or Mr Lou's music disc.

My hope is that other CPC or 8-bits meetings will be held by other people in other locations or countries. What a challenge! :)

Eliot/Benediction