News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Revision 2013 / CPC Demo " Still Rising " by Vanity

Started by Pentagon, 08:26, 31 March 13

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

Oh well, friendly competation can be a great source of motivation. However, in reality - very sadly - this kind of friendly competition usually turns in to some kind of war too often. And people forget that we all love the same computer. I always thought that only Germans are that crazy, but now I see the rest of the world is not doing better. Shall I laugh or cry? Well, let's hope for the best... and regerding the coders of the two major demos (of the last few years) - they seem to get better along than other people, whose business this actually not really.

So let's have a good woking together  :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

Sadly, peoples that critic are often the same that does nothing...
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

trocoloco

Quote from: Snake_Plissken on 08:07, 03 April 13
There is people who only speak,there is people who don't speak and do things on CPC.

that's right, and there is people that do things on CPC and speak too.. and that gives them the right to do it? .. I don't know...I suppose..

Well, I wanted to point out an attitude that I didn't like and of course in my eyes I can get it wrong but NEVER criticise no one's work as I appreciate and have always thanked for every single thing made for the CPC, even the 64K games (I can't help it, I love loading tapes hehe)... but I sincerely apologize to anyone that has been offended because of my words

mr_lou

Quote from: TotO on 00:07, 04 April 13
Sadly, peoples that critic are often the same that does nothing...

That is very true.

There are two groups of people out there:
1) The ones who knows every little term in details and can explain anything you ask them using by-the-book explanations and terms. If you don't know these terms, then you are worthless and have no value whatsoever in the world. For some reason (take a guess) these people mostly don't have a job, despite this expertise, and they spend most their time bitching about everyone in the 2nd group.
2) The ones who has no clue what they're doing - at least when it comes to the names everyone else is calling it. They just do it and gets lots of stuff done. They always think outside the box, because they mostly never took a look at it, so they don't even know there is a box. This group of people are usually very productive and enthusiastic about their work.

On a few rare occasions, people from group 1 moves to group 2 for a while, as they create something productive. Then moves back to group 1 again and arrogantly critisizes every other similar production. No doubt in their mind that their production is the best in the world.

True story.

Gryzor

Can we PLEASE cut the crap and get back on track? Seriously, if one more post about off-topic issues is posted I will clean the entire thread. I've had FIVE reports from various people reporting this or that post, and really I simply don't get why one would feel that a thread about a cool demo is the place to vent their complexes or frustration.

So PLEASE.

MacDeath

By the way, being called Vanity enable to act like this, and they have the effects to back their words.

Perhaps the little issue is that they targeted the Batman Demo, while they should have targeted other 8 bit computers...
They brillantly beat all of them this year...only and Amiga could match them.

Ther thing peoples focused on was that they didn't killed the Batman, and forget they killed those C64, speccy, Atari4096STe and MSX1 (also an Amiga500).
And I guess Lemon also profited from the fact they were well known historical figures of Amiga demoscene and that Amiga is alwaus the favourite.
(their demo was good anyway)

A good thing with demos like Still Rising or Batman is that many peoples told they believed they were looking at a good AtariST Demo instead of an 8bit computer.
Not bad, IMO.

Basically, this Still Rising is quasi a 64K demo too. :)
Would have been nice if they managed to fit 64K strictly... but Oldskool category wasn't into such sort of categories.

Still they got lots of good comments and thumbs up at Pouet... where the Amstrad is gaining more visibility and credibility as a serious Demo machine.

Devilmarkus

What's happening here?
A "Report-A-Thread-Contest"?

My Thunderbird got filled by several mails about several reports...

I feel like a group 1 guy :D
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

MacDeath

Optimus

Quote from: MacDeath on 19:35, 02 April 13
another subjet :
Crowd pleaser (C64 #3 compo)
Not sure the physical engine (squares and rectangle falling) could be done that well on CPC though... could they?

I've been thinking about it. The boxes physics seems simpler than the water, the water dazzles me.
Boxes are always 8, assuming the 8 hw sprites of C64. Also, the rotation is several sets of animation, different sets of hw sprites for say 8 rotation states from 0 to 90 degrees.
They have the rendering for free. But the important part is the physics of course. Possible with the different sprites version with different angles, some additional data could be stored, declination, normal vectors, bounding boxes, weight center, etc. It could ease the situation. I have not coded physics with rigid bodies, I'd have to try this first.

But then I thought. 8 sprites * 3 bytes (x, y, rotation state) * 50 frames * 5 seconds = 6000 bytes. Could easilly be precalculated physics positions, fitted in memory or loaded from disk. Though, I believe it can be done realtime. Maybe it is in the demo, maybe it isn't.

The water, seems like several particles colliding and bouncing together. Already scary. The resolution seems like pixel perfect, but it's easilly seen they are using character tiles, the animation is jumping many pixels. Same is with their blobs at the beginning, even some other effects, that plasma heightmap I so much like, clever tiles to not look blocky but curvy, could even be a primitive version of marching cubes algorithm in 2d and with the char tiles (or are they smaller, gonna check). The rendering alone could be recreated on CPC but with software tile rendering, which could eat 2-3VBL depending on the size of the screen. But the physics of the water dazzles me. How many particles are in there? 8*8 collisions with the boxes could be fine, but with more it could be too much to calculate.

Bryce

Does that mean I can have Angry Birds for CPC now??  ;D

Bryce.

redbox

Quote from: Bryce on 10:22, 05 April 13
Does that mean I can have Angry Birds for CPC now??  ;D

No, but you can have it for the Plus.  ;D

arnoldemu

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Bryce

Yes! When will it be released?? :)

Up to now, the only "angry bird" near my CPC was the wife telling me to turn it off and do something useful[nb]For some reason she doesn't agree with my definition of the word useful[/nb]

Bryce.

redbox

Well, back to topic:

Still Rising doesn't run on my 6128 Plus.  Tells me I need CRTC 0 or 1.   :o

Where as Batman Forever runs fine.

Hey ho, nice demo, but would have been better if I could run it on real hardware...!

ralferoo

Quote from: redbox on 14:23, 05 April 13
Plus is known as CRTC type 3 in the CPC community. It's not actually a real CRTC, it's emulated inside the ASIC chip and behaves slightly differently to a real CRTC in certain edge cases.

redbox

Quote from: ralferoo on 15:11, 05 April 13
Plus is known as CRTC type 3 in the CPC community. It's not actually a real CRTC, it's emulated inside the ASIC chip and behaves slightly differently to a real CRTC in certain edge cases.

Ah yes, I know this - the point I was making was that BF works on all CRTCs, even the 'emulated' type 3.  Rhino even 'teases' Vanity about their effects not working on all CRTCs in the BF demo.

So this is points lost to Hicks in the Hicks Vs Rhino 'discussions'  ;)

MaV

Quote from: redbox on 14:23, 05 April 13

Where as Batman Forever runs fine.
Interesting, because BF does hang up here on the CPC6128+ as soon as the city scene is starting.
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

McKlain

Quote from: MaV on 15:32, 05 April 13
Interesting, because BF does hang up here on the CPC6128+ as soon as the city scene is starting.

Trackloader problem?

redbox

Quote from: McKlain on 15:49, 05 April 13
Trackloader problem?

I would say so.

Runs fine on my 6128 Plus using a HxC USB (on the B drive!) and the large double sided DSK image.

robcfg

Quote from: redbox on 15:15, 05 April 13
Ah yes, I know this - the point I was making was that BF works on all CRTCs, even the 'emulated' type 3.  Rhino even 'teases' Vanity about their effects not working on all CRTCs in the BF demo.

So this is points lost to Hicks in the Hicks Vs Rhino 'discussions'  ;)

As far as I know, BF doesn't run on crtc 2, correct me if I'm wrong.

spybro

Never had any problem running batman forever in any of my 3 6128+ machines.

MaV

No trackloader problem. I'm using an HxC and the same BF one disk on it. On the normal CPC it runs ok.
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

Kris

Quote from: ralferoo on 15:11, 05 April 13

Does it mean that CPC old with CRTC type 4 is not a CPC ?  :P

mr_lou

Although it's been a while, I'm fairly sure Batman Forever runs fine on my CPC+ too.