Author Topic: Revision 2021 demo: Can Robots Take Control?  (Read 2759 times)

Offline Optimus

• 464 Plus
    • Awards
Re: Revision 2021 demo: Can Robots Take Control?
« Reply #25 on: 12:10, 06 April 21 »
I also had random crashes and corrupted graphics when loading this on HxC on my real CPC (not plus)

I heard of mention of this Gotek, is this similar to HxC? Is this a better alternative or more compatible for demos than HxC? Is the demo 800k floppy only running on one of these devices or can there a floppy disk formatted at such high k? What's the best solution to watch this demo?
No reactions

Offline Targhan

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: 13:52, 06 April 21 »
so when ?
3'25 and 4'04. Do you only notice things when they are drawn using Spectrum colors? :)
No reactions
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Offline roudoudou

• 6128 Plus
    • urban exploration
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: 14:01, 06 April 21 »
3'25 and 4'04. Do you only notice things when they are drawn using Spectrum colors? :)
i was surprise to be part of the credit but if T&J is mentionned for HELP in cat-art (i guess Krusty or Eliot did the cat-art), it's logical to mention both of us, not only T&J

on pouet neither T&J nor me are mentionned, it's also logical as we just helped a little ;)

No reactions
use RASM, the best assembler ever made :p

I will survive

Offline Maniac

• Supporter
  • CPC6128
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: 14:04, 06 April 21 »
I have no Amstrad plus at home, so I was not able to test on it.I have not even looked at the results with an emulator because I doubt it would be the same.
The demo is supposed to run without crash on Amstrad Plus although 2 screens are not stable.
Random crash probably comes from a general issue of the demo: when extensions are plugged to the CPC there is a high probability of random crashes at loading; when there is no extensions there  is a small probability (but not null). Today I have no idea of the reason of that (if someone can help me, it would be great) and then cannot fix it.
I'm more than happy to help with testing. In terms of extensions I have an MX4 board with an X-Mem and M4 board attached along with a C4CPC cart that I use. The HxC is connected via the external floppy port and the cable has a ABBA and side switch which work just fine with things like Batman Forever and phX (both double-sided disk images). I've removed all of my extensions and used my original system cart and it still crashes I'm afraid as you already mentioned.

How can I be of help? Would recording the demo running help at all?
No reactions

Offline krusty_benediction

• CPC6128
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: 14:18, 06 April 21 »
I'm more than happy to help with testing. In terms of extensions I have an MX4 board with an X-Mem and M4 board attached along with a C4CPC cart that I use. The HxC is connected via the external floppy port and the cable has a ABBA and side switch which work just fine with things like Batman Forever and phX (both double-sided disk images). I've removed all of my extensions and used my original system cart and it still crashes I'm afraid as you already mentioned.

How can I be of help? Would recording the demo running help at all?
Thx I'll PM you in several days after having work on demo synchronisation. It may fix the issue
No reactions

Offline roudoudou

• 6128 Plus
    • urban exploration
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: 14:18, 06 April 21 »

the demo is OK on 464+zax extension (gotek+512K)

No reactions

I will survive

Offline pelrun

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
    • index.php?action=treasury
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: 14:59, 06 April 21 »
I heard of mention of this Gotek, is this similar to HxC? Is this a better alternative or more compatible for demos than HxC? Is the demo 800k floppy only running on one of these devices or can there a floppy disk formatted at such high k? What's the best solution to watch this demo?

Gotek is cheap widely cloned floppy emulator hardware that reads images from a USB stick, like the HxC but with barely usable firmware. Alternative firmwares are an official HxC port (which has to be purchased) or FlashFloppy (which is open source). Both are actively developed and roughly similar in capabilities (at least when being used with a CPC), turning the Gotek into a capable drive replacement.
No reactions

Offline voXfReaX

• CPC664
    • Benediction
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: 10:56, 07 April 21 »
i was surprise to be part of the credit but if T&J is mentionned for HELP in cat-art (i guess Krusty or Eliot did the cat-art), it's logical to mention both of us, not only T&J

on pouet neither T&J nor me are mentionned, it's also logical as we just helped a little ;)

Hi! Actually I designed the cat-art robot, but as I couldn't do it myself, I asked Tom et Jerry to help me out (Krusty had way too much to do and didn't want to add more on him, and Eliot at that time was very busy with real-life issues). Nevertheless, since Tom et Jerry helped me out, he should be mentioned in the credits... Same applies for you too, since you also helped Krusty with the chessboard effect :)

Offline roudoudou

• 6128 Plus
    • urban exploration
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: 11:00, 07 April 21 »

Hi! Actually I designed the cat-art robot, but as I couldn't do it myself, I asked Tom et Jerry to help me out (Krusty had way too much to do and didn't want to add more on him, and Eliot at that time was very busy with real-life issues). Nevertheless, since Tom et Jerry helped me out, he should be mentioned in the credits... Same applies for you too, since you also helped Krusty with the chessboard effect :)
my apologies, i should have mentionned the possibility it was you  ;D
anyway, my remark was about the fact all credits were clearly mentionned in the demo so i do not understand why people miss half of the words

No reactions

I will survive

Offline voXfReaX

• CPC664
    • Benediction
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: 11:16, 07 April 21 »
my apologies, i should have mentionned the possibility it was you  ;D
anyway, my remark was about the fact all credits were clearly mentionned in the demo so i do not understand why people miss half of the words

No problem! I am not very active in forums, so I found it a great opportunity to write something here  ;)

I do not know what really happened with the credits, maybe Mac lost them somehow, but these things may happen and are easy to fix!
Broadly speaking, that's the main issue of humanity - people just miss half of words, or even more, and do whatever  ;D

Offline krusty_benediction

• CPC6128
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: 11:26, 13 May 21 »
You can find the final version here: https://files.scene.org/view/parties/2021/revision21/oldskool-demo/crtc_final.zip

There are not much changes:
- sound and/or crtc transition glitches depending on your CPC version are still there
- greetings logo has been updated
- one logo screen has a palette change

However, we have made some modifications regarding the disk support
- better synchronization with the music for fast drives
- fewer crashes when loading
- 3"5 disc only uses one side; you can still use the one of our previous demos ;)
- 3" disc version has been added; you can then watch the demo on a bare CPC ! WARNING there is no turn disc support. You have to manually flip the disc during the rotating 3d scene and during the display of the very last logo
- m4-cpcwifi version has been added;  there are two limitations: there is a sound glitch when loading files, the demo does not loop

@Optimus it should solve your issues
« Last Edit: 12:01, 13 May 21 by krusty_benediction »
No reactions