News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Rogue!

Started by STE86, 19:16, 20 August 12

Previous topic - Next topic

STE86

2 more c64 conversions "Heeeres Johnny!" (Johnny Alpha, Strontium Dog, 2000ad) and "Here be Dragons"

rexbeng

I really really like the dithering on the dragon :D
Yesterday I tried to re-color my Super Edge Grinder loading screen with the C64 palette. Just replace the colors. Well, it's freaking impossible, which was obviously the case anyway. It would need to be pixeled differently, almost from scratch basically - and I don't even dare to take the 4 color per char limitation into consideration :P

rb

STE86

no mate you won't do that screen on the c64 by conversion. it uses far too many of the amstrad's "secondary" pallette like the multiple shades of magenta which no other computers had. and tbh even if you got the colours swapped, they wouldn't fade any more because the c64 colour luma ramp is different. (which is why lt green, green, brown is an acceptable fade of the c64 and is a bit jarring on the amstrad. and also why you can use pink and orange for separate flesh tones on the c64 and they are almost the same luma on the amstrad so look flat together)

rexbeng

Well, that's true and in reality I wasn't expecting that by replacing the colors they would fit the whole image. It was more of a try and see how certain parts in the picture would look (mainly the ship). Anyway, I'll give it a try on re-pixeling sometime later just to see what the (original) C64 palette has to offer in the terms of strange color mixing that I enjoy so much on the CPC 8)

rb

Gryzor

Wow... I really love all these screens! Thanks so much for the memories, man!

As for Rex' suggestion: merging the threads would make it even more chaotic, wouldn't it? I understand it's not optimal as it is, but I can see no better alternative. Make a wiki article and discuss the contributions here? Doesn't sound likely... :(

TotO

Quote from: STE86 on 23:41, 01 September 12

2 more c64 conversions "Heeeres Johnny!" (Johnny Alpha, Strontium Dog, 2000ad) and "Here be Dragons"
Great graphic works and nice use of the CPC palette.  ;)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Bryce

Quote from: SyX on 21:32, 24 August 12
@MaV: I love your new avatar!!!  ;D ;D ;D

I think MaVs Spanish grandmother painted it for him :D

Bryce.