News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

SID Sound Reloaded

Started by BSC, 22:14, 13 August 19

Previous topic - Next topic

BSC

Hello fellow CPCists!

I did it again. Some SID stuff. Just some early demo (so far, CPC music has only used around 6% of the AYs capacity)

https://soundcloud.com/betasoftcologne/arcane-1?in=betasoftcologne/sets/amstrad-cpc-music-and-experiments

Greetings :)
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

Scarlettkitten

Sophie Rose:- My musical works https://soundcloud.com/sophierosemusics

HAL6128

Sounds awesome. ...like the deep base.
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

Targhan

Interesting! Is it 3-channel SID sample? Did you do that with a more advanced version of your sid software?
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Ast

Yes, a new Bsc's song... Happy to ear this one.

Ast/iMP4CT. "By the power of Grayskull, i've the power"

http://amstradplus.forumforever.com/index.php
http://impdos.wikidot.com/
http://impdraw.wikidot.com/

All friends are welcome !

Targhan

No, it's not a new song, it's Zap't'Ball loading screen adaptation (by Weee I guess?).
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Targhan on 13:36, 14 August 19
No, it's not a new song, it's Zap't'Ball loading screen adaptation (by Weee I guess?).
Actually, it's a version of THE LAST HERO by FUTURE FREAK of DEXION!
Also famous as "ARCANE THEME" (by Zetrix) on Amiga cracktros.

HAL6128

Hey BSC, this isn't a SID emulation. You programed that with you SID tracker, right?

BSC

Quote from: Targhan on 11:17, 14 August 19
Interesting! Is it 3-channel SID sample? Did you do that with a more advanced version of your sid software?

Thanks! Yes, the engine can play 3 independent "SID" voices at once, each with it's own pitch and waveform and it's indeed an evolution of the AYAY engine.
The working title it AY³ or AYcubed :)
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

BSC

Quote from: SuTeKH/Epyteor on 14:53, 14 August 19
Actually, it's a version of THE LAST HERO by FUTURE FREAK of DEXION!
Also famous as "ARCANE THEME" (by Zetrix) on Amiga cracktros.

Exactly! I only knew it as "Arcane" until a few months ago. The SID version is a conversion from my (not WEEEs) Soundtrakker cover which
was also used in Zap't'Balls. I just found your rendition of The Last Hero on Youtube btw. Really nice!

BSC

Quote from: HAL 6128 on 21:33, 14 August 19
Hey BSC, this isn't a SID emulation. You programed that with you SID tracker, right?

Kind of. It's actually a more evolved versoin of my SID engine from some years ago. There's still no tracker, though ..
A real SID emulation is impossible on the CPC, but I think I came as close as you can get (maybe even closer in the future  :D )

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Nice!

How much CPU time does the emulation take? And what do you mean by 6% of the AY capabilities?

Targhan

QuoteThanks! Yes, the engine can play 3 independent "SID" voices at once, each with it's own pitch and waveform and it's indeed an evolution of the AYAY engine.

Ok so it is like what I did for Imperial Mahjong I guess (which is, in all fairness, is inspired from what you did on your SID tracker!). Are the three channels on three different channels (that's what I do on IM), or do you mix them on one channel?
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

BSC

Quote from: Sykobee (Briggsy) on 10:56, 15 August 19
How much CPU time does the emulation take? And what do you mean by 6% of the AY capabilities?

It is a really modest engine and takes all of the CPU time. No time left for anything else (a few raster bars or similar maybe)

BSC

Quote from: Targhan on 11:07, 15 August 19
Ok so it is like what I did for Imperial Mahjong I guess (which is, in all fairness, is inspired from what you did on your SID tracker!). Are the three channels on three different channels (that's what I do on IM), or do you mix them on one channel?

I knew that already ;-)

The three channels are mixed into one, otherwise the replay rate would be too low and the sound would be too harsh.
I am still experimenting with increasing the replay rate. Currently it is around 12 KHz.

BSC

Quote from: Sykobee (Briggsy) on 10:56, 15 August 19

The 6% thing was a pun relating to what Rhino wrote in the Batman Demo, where he stated something similar about CPC Demos :)

Anyway I think there's a lot of room for cool things to do with the PSG...

BSC

Here's another preview:

https://soundcloud.com/betasoftcologne/arcane-2?in=betasoftcologne/sets/amstrad-cpc-music-and-experiments

plus some technical details in the description for those inclined.

HAL6128

Fascinating what the AY is capable of, great sound.

LambdaMikel

Quote from: BSC on 12:51, 30 November 19
Here's another preview:

https://soundcloud.com/carl-carbunckel/arcane-preview-ii

plus some technical details in the description for those inclined.
Great achievement! What SID tune is that? It would be interesting to do an "unfair comparison" with a real CPC SID expansion card  ;) (I know it would be unfair, but interesting regardless!)

TotO

Really nice BSC!  :)

Quote from: LambdaMikel on 07:21, 02 December 19It would be interesting to do an "unfair comparison" with a real CPC SID expansion card (I know it would be unfair, but interesting regardless!)
Are peoples programming music for CPC do care how it sound on C64 or other computers using a different sound chip? For SID Sound, they know perfectly how it is, because the goal is technicaly to tend to approach it. The same when the AY try to do Amiga tunes on GX/PLUS (Eeries Forest), it is really impressing (the SID can't?) but obviously not as good as Paula. At end, the AY looks to be a versatile circuit to fake others.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

LambdaMikel

Quote from: TotO on 10:01, 02 December 19
Really nice BSC!  :)
Are peoples programming music for CPC do care how it sound on C64 or other computers using a different sound chip? For SID Sound, they know perfectly how it is, because the goal is technicaly to tend to approach it. The same when the AY try to do Amiga tunes on GX/PLUS (Eeries Forest), it is really impressing (the SID can't?) but obviously not as good as Paula. At end, the AY looks to be a versatile circuit to fake others.
Agreed. Yes, as I said, it is an impressive piece of AY programming & wizardry, and hence an impressive achievement, but it does not necessesarily "sound good" (which is of course subjective - which unfortunately applies to most AY-based sample playing IMHO....) Unfortunately, sample playing is the weakest capabiliy of the AY chip, due to its technical limitations (even with DMA). It is better suited for chiptunes IMHO. All subjective of course... But I find it great that people like BSC figure out how to max it out!!! As I said, impressed!

I am wondering though if the same code could also be used to sample play over a Digiblaster or Amdrum or similar? That might give 8bit PCM resolution?

BSC

Quote from: LambdaMikel on 07:21, 02 December 19
Great achievement! What SID tune is that? It would be interesting to do an "unfair comparison" with a real CPC SID expansion card  ;) (I know it would be unfair, but interesting regardless!)

Thanks!

The original SID is called The Last Hero by Future Freak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvecpmfD17g

My first CPC covers were based on the Amiga version by Zetrix:

https://soundcloud.com/4irmann/zetrix-arcane-theme-the-last-hero-cover-4irmann-remaster

Before you start your unfair comparison I have to finish the tune in Soundtrakker, so that I can
convert it to the AY³ engine. I have been too lazy yet to do that *shrug*

BSC

Quote from: TotO on 10:01, 02 December 19

The same when the AY try to do Amiga tunes on GX/PLUS (Eeries Forest), it is really impressing (the SID can't?) but obviously not as good as Paula.
At end, the AY looks to be a versatile circuit to fake others.

The C64/SID can do much better sample replay then the CPC/AY, just have a listen and look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6LYrQk5I7s

There's even a description in the description describing how it was done. Channel 3 plays multiple samples
at once, that's effin impressive.

BSC

Quote from: LambdaMikel on 16:03, 02 December 19
Agreed. Yes, as I said, it is an impressive piece of AY programming & wizardry, and hence an impressive achievement, but it does not necessesarily "sound good" (which is of course subjective - which unfortunately applies to most AY-based sample playing IMHO....) Unfortunately, sample playing is the weakest capabiliy of the AY chip, due to its technical limitations (even with DMA). It is better suited for chiptunes IMHO. All subjective of course... But I find it great that people like BSC figure out how to max it out!!! As I said, impressed!

I am wondering though if the same code could also be used to sample play over a Digiblaster or Amdrum or similar? That might give 8bit PCM resolution?

I might make a Digiblaster version of it some day (though I don't have one). Or anyone else can do it after I released the source.
Playing though the Digiblaster will surely sound a lot better. But I LOVE to make stuff that runs on your ordinary 464 (or,
in very rare cases, a 6128) without any additional hardware, just like it could have done in 1984 :)

BSC

And here's another one:

https://soundcloud.com/carl-carbunckel/cpcsid-arcane-preview-iii

This one uses different wave forms (as promised in the last preview): sine, saw-tooth and square with sweeping pulse width.

Recorded directly from a real CPC 6128, no processing other than normalization was applied.

PS: Merry xmas everyone!