News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu
T

Zeeloxyl by Sotsoft (December 2011)

Started by tastefulmrship, 15:36, 03 December 11

Previous topic - Next topic

tastefulmrship

This new demo is being universally slated on POUET.NET. Here are some highlights for those who have not yet seen it.

(.png... I think! Click on thumbnails for full images)

Instead of slating it and walking away, why not enhance it? I ask the coders of the CPC community to see what they can do to make this production great. It's not a coding challenge, it's not a 'if you're not part of the solution then you're part of the problem', it's not a 'put up or shut up', it's merely a request to enhance a CPC production to make our fine machine look great once more!

Merci lots,
- JTMS...

Gryzor

Hey, this is a nice idea and a great attitude :)

MacDeath

So what, he just needs somebody to get a proper tiles and sprites sheet for it ?

I have no time at the moment to look at it (I go to a party tonight) but if someone can explain properly... thx...

Also I simply don't understand the demo itself...

Is it coded in Basic ?

1st part is... weird... what is it ssupposed to be ?

Part 2 well... the sample is not good and the cycling stuff if poor.

Part 3... ok, some mode2 rasters, perhaps the best part...

part4 is not even displayed in the menu... and, well, is in Basic

oh, and said menu, WTF ?
is it supposed to be a 4K demo or something ?

Anyway he added some PLUS features... so I like it ! ;D

Who is Sotsoft ? a 12 year old kid who want to release one demo in Basic1.1 each month or choosed to discredit CPC on pouët  ? ::)

BTW, i hope we can help the guy to do more refined stuffs in the future...

And i must admit i could not even code one percent of this. :-[

tastefulmrship

Quote from: MacDeath on 19:36, 03 December 11
Who is Sotsoft ? a 12 year old kid who want to release one demo in Basic1.1 each month or choosed to discredit CPC on pouët  ? ::)
I think this might answer your question; http://optimus.freeshell.org/sotsoft/

TFM

Quote from: tastefulmrship on 22:36, 03 December 11
I think this might answer your question; http://optimus.freeshell.org/sotsoft/

Photos 1 & 2 show a girl, photos 3 & 4 show a boy. So... ???

Any kind of production for CPC is good. No master falls from heaven. Todays Greatest started small. And this demo shows some never before seen effects, it's nice to watch once :-)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

voXfReaX

Quote from: TFM/FS on 23:29, 04 December 11

Photos 1 & 2 show a girl, photos 3 & 4 show a boy. So... ???

Any kind of production for CPC is good. No master falls from heaven. Todays Greatest started small. And this demo shows some never before seen effects, it's nice to watch once :-)

Sotsoft is the guy appearing in the 3rd and 4th photo... Probably, the girl appearing in the 1st and 2nd photos is his girlfriend? I am not sure...
I do not agree with "any kind of production for CPC is good" sentence... I think that in 2011 there should be some quality work done when releasing a product!

MacDeath

Girl ? or is it adolescent androgynous emogothic period... with long hairs and no beard yet ?

TFM

Quote from: voXfReaX on 09:39, 06 December 11

Sotsoft is the guy appearing in the 3rd and 4th photo... Probably, the girl appearing in the 1st and 2nd photos is his girlfriend? I am not sure...
I do not agree with "any kind of production for CPC is good" sentence... I think that in 2011 there should be some quality work done when releasing a product!

So what's about people who have joined the CPC recently? (Yes, they exist!) Old sceners had the right to produce shit, and afterwards to do better. You can't expect anybody to be perfect from the beginning. Can you?
At least the Sotsoft demo doesn't insult other CPC sceners, like for example Block-us did. I know, you don't like to hear that, but this POV may be worth being considered.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

voXfReaX

Quote from: TFM/FS on 22:28, 06 December 11
So what's about people who have joined the CPC recently? (Yes, they exist!) Old sceners had the right to produce shit, and afterwards to do better. You can't expect anybody to be perfect from the beginning. Can you?
At least the Sotsoft demo doesn't insult other CPC sceners, like for example Block-us did. I know, you don't like to hear that, but this POV may be worth being considered.

Hmmm!!! It seems that you do not know the Greek scene well, so I would advise you to first ask rather than assuming things the next time... Sotsoft is (perhaps) one of the oldest Greek CPC sceners and I have met him some years ago! I have no personal problems with him and I guess that his feelings are mutual for me... So (and to answer the first part of your question) Sotsoft is not a newcomer! He has been around for several years, and his productions have been always with the same concept (i.e. communication with parallel universes, etc)
As far as my approach to the newcomers is concerned, I believe that I have always been very friendly to all newcomers that appeared during the last years in our scene! Somehow, I feel like the same for myself since I have contributed "in a real way" almost two years ago. In my honest opinion, the only way to survive and move forward our scene are the newcomers! Therefore, newcomers are more than welcome and I support them 100%. For instance, McKlain and EgoTrip are both newcomers and I was really happy when I found out their abilities in composing musics! And since statements really worth, check the latest Benediction productions! How many newcomers are involved? We were more than happy to receive help from Egotrip & McKlain (sorry guys for using your names in this debate).

As for my "insulting" in Bloc Us, we believed that by being a bit "nasty" and "cocky" to the rest of the scene would help waking it up! How?   By making the rest teams feel like competing us, which will subsequently lead us in becoming better and thus produce even better productions! We are such a small scene and we all know each others somehow... It's sad that we (as a scene) are not that active compared to other 8-bit scenes... In any case TFM, if you find that Bloc Us just communicates insulting messages, then I am sad to say to you that "you only see the tree and you miss the forest!".

Gryzor

TFM

@Voxfreak: Don't put words in my mouth I never told. Read my comment again. I tried to explain things a bit, if you have another POV ok, it will not become mine though. I called for tolerance and respect for all contributions, ok? :)

I know the old Greek scene like Antitec, Optimus and others. Some of them are sadly not even alive any longer. But I don't know you from past days, so therefore I don't know the Greek scene, ok, I can take that. If you're seriously thinking...  :laugh:

I was talking in general, and sometime I ask myself if people feel well in such a scene... I doubt.

If I would release something, and the only thing that happens is to get my butt kicked, then I would leave such kind of a scene forever - without any regrets. I guess you hear me.

If you want respect, then provide it to others. Provide it to the weak.
TFM of FutureSoft

Phi2x

Grim

voXfReaX

Quote from: TFM/FS on 20:02, 07 December 11
@Voxfreak: Don't put words in my mouth I never told. Read my comment again. I tried to explain things a bit, if you have another POV ok, it will not become mine though. I called for tolerance and respect for all contributions, ok? :)

I know the old Greek scene like Antitec, Optimus and others. Some of them are sadly not even alive any longer. But I don't know you from past days, so therefore I don't know the Greek scene, ok, I can take that. If you're seriously thinking...  :laugh:

I was talking in general, and sometime I ask myself if people feel well in such a scene... I doubt.

If I would release something, and the only thing that happens is to get my butt kicked, then I would leave such kind of a scene forever - without any regrets. I guess you hear me.

If you want respect, then provide it to others. Provide it to the weak.
I (believe that I) show the utmost respect to any production being released! But this product cannot be considered as an initiative for something in my opinion... Graphics suck! Music... is there a music actually? Concept... Empty! The feeling I get when watched it on emulator was absolute vagueness! And to understand MY POV, I'll try to demonstrate the way I evaluate products by comparing some.
On the one hand, we have Zeeloxyl and on the other we have "Now!" by Brainstorm (just an example)! Zeeloxyl is not the 1st production by Sotsoft, whereas this is the case for "Now!". So, did Now! received bad comments? I think not, apart from rather motivative messages! Everyone acknowledged it is a new production and was embraced by everyone.
Another example of 1st release is the "Hello World!" demo by Rouquemoute of Frequency! Check the comments in Pouet to find out how I de-motivate people :P You need another example as well? Check the "CPCtro" by Zeroteam, which is a rather simple try, yet interesting and appreciated!   

You need to understand something first man... I am not finding the beauty of creation in only "elitistic" demos, products, applications, etc... I enjoy simple products as well, as long as they fit my taste! But there is a border-line between something that can be seen in a positive manner and something that offers nothing! The latter is the case of Zeeloxyl and I am not going to praise something that is considered rubbish to me. You can do it, I do not really care. I will just give an honest feedback to everyone!

PS: Since you only knew some of non-alive Greek sceners, learn this as well... Check Bombastic... Perhaps there is an "Odium" nickname there! OMG! What happened? Now am I speaking seriously? :D

Gryzor

Actually, I think it's so bad it's almost good... :D 

tastefulmrship

I feel this is exactly what a REAL demo should be; personal expressionism through a technical medium; Sotsoft should be hailed!

But, anyway... I quite liked the Cacodemon sprite, but didn't like the fact it was only viewable on a CPC+/GX4K so I decided to re-palette it for the CPCold ma$$if-po$$e. Here it is (below) with it's colour-correct cousin.

Can someone animate it and make it swear to the demo-scene? Oh, go on... please! Then, release it as Tribute-2-Zeeloxyl on POUET!
(Ha! Feck you, demo-scene! We will not conform to your elitist world order! WE ARE A.M.S.TRADing, See You Next Tuesday!)

TFM

Quote from: tastefulmrship on 21:42, 21 December 11
I feel this is exactly what a REAL demo should be; personal expressionism through a technical medium; Sotsoft should be hailed!

You are a bold man!!! Some of the above posters will set a bounty on your head now  :'(
TFM of FutureSoft

MacDeath

my try on this one...

Well the daemon from doom lacks a bit in contrast to begin with.

Also it can become tricky to do it in CPC palette because, well, quite more limited palette to begin with.

tastefulmrship

Quote from: MacDeath on 06:52, 22 December 11
my try on this one...
Also it can become tricky to do it in CPC palette because, well, quite more limited palette to begin with.
Hmmm... you're Cacodemon looks ill, which human-souls are you feeding it?

demoniak

Quote from: tastefulmrship on 21:42, 21 December 11
Can someone animate it and make it swear to the demo-scene?
What do you mean by "animate" ?

tastefulmrship

Quote from: demoniak on 10:14, 22 December 11
What do you mean by "animate" ?
I dunno, make the Cacodemon sprite move around an overscan screen in a random sine-wavey kind of way? With "Tribute to Zeeloxyl" in the middle of the screen... or "We will not conform! We are A.M.S.TRADing, See You Next Tuesday!"... or make it swap between the two!

I only suggested it for a laugh, I didn't think anyone would consider actually DOING it!
(I'd be afraid of it winning the BEST DEMO 2011 award! ^_^)

MacDeath

QuoteHmmm... you're Cacodemon looks ill, which human-souls are you feeding it?
The red one is Khorne's daemon, mine is more Nurgle daemon...

Pink would be slaanesh and Yellow+blue would be Tzeentch...

(Comprendra qui pourra.)

Optimus

Hmm,. there was one in the doomworld community with the nick slaneesh. Didn't know it was a demon :)

p.s. no it was from gp32x community :P

MacDeath

QuoteKhorne, Nurgle, Slaanesh,  Tzeentch...
Those are the 4 chaos gods from Warhammer universe, so I guess the guy is also a Warhammer player.

Just like we have a Nurgle here in the Amstrad community...

Those Warhammerfags, they can lurk everywhere.

TFM

Quote from: tastefulmrship on 09:41, 22 December 11
Hmmm... you're Cacodemon looks ill, which human-souls are you feeding it?

No! No human souls! That's the point. Regarding the green color, it was fed by Frog-Souls. To be more preceise: The souls of leg-less frogs ;-)

Once I fed some of my buddys from Roberts Bar to a Cacodemon, then it turned blue!
TFM of FutureSoft