News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

A new version of Arnold.

Started by Aeliss, 16:16, 20 January 14

Previous topic - Next topic

arnoldemu

@greatxerox:

Thank you for the picture I can see the files are there :)

I see you have an "#ORDIS" directory.

I will need to check this on my machine, but I think you have hit a bug in wxwidgets. The bug happens if # is in a filename, but it seems it also happens when # is in the directory name. I reported this bug to them.

Can you move the Arnold Emulator directory to a different place (e.g. EMULATEURS) and tell me if it loads?

I will test it here and fix this problem for the next release.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

greatxerox

hello Arnold !

i tried in   E:\Arnold Emulator
same thing :(

if you want, you can use Teamviewer & connect to my computer to find the solution. just contact me online

Aeliss

And I have tried with deleting all arnold entry in my registry, it's still working for me.
I don't see what can be a problem in the windows environement, I don't think it's a path problem because the icons are correctly displayed.
Perhaps with the version with console log ?

greatxerox

thank you for the fix you sent me , arnold.

http://cpctech.cpc-live.com/setup.zip

-fixed loading from a path with '#'. This was causing roms to fail to load and a black screen.
-if OS/BASIC/Amsdos rom were set for override but no rom data was set, then this could also show a black screen. It will fix this.
This version is made from new code so it has other fixes not released yet.

Little problem :
i set the emulator on amstrad 6128+ french, i'm unable to find the character "+" when i try to do    run" something+"
How to use "copy" , i don't succeed using Alt key
thx

arnoldemu

The zip (containing the windows installer) in the link from @greatxerox has the latest code as of yesterday.

This also includes:
- vortex 512KB ram expansion emulation (tested against my vortex ram. It will be corrected after TFM tests his vortex ram)
- fix for saving settings (bug found by TFM)
- inicron ram fixes (will be updated after testing from TFM)
- symbiface 2 ram and rom emulation
- many improvements to crtc type 0,1,2 and 3 emulation. (this has been my major focus and there will be more to come).
- if a single sided dsk is autostarted make sure it's on side 0 (user could set side 1 in disk settings or force it with a side switch - but undo that in this case)
- if autorun finds too many files, do a CAT to list them so user can decide which to run.
- centre emulation window on screen
- translated keyboard mode doesn't interrupt autotype if active
- power on register settings on plus

My games. My Games

arnoldemu

Quote from: greatxerox on 01:09, 26 April 16

Little problem :
i set the emulator on amstrad 6128+ french, i'm unable to find the character "+" when i try to do    run" something+"
How to use "copy" , i don't succeed using Alt key
thx
Hmmm it seems both keys are not mapped. I will check that.

Settings->Keyboard->Positional Mode Configuration...

this should show the assignment, but also shows that left cursor is not mapped but it is.  ???

My games. My Games

greatxerox

Hello Arnold

i tried what you said but nothing happens, there is no reaction when i try to select a key from my keyboard in i'm in the "Define Host keys" window

I'd like to know also if Arnold Aeliss Edition is useless now and if the added features from your ancient release has been integrated in your last build Date: Apr 25 2016 Build Time: 19:13:33
thank you a lot !

Aeliss

Edit: Make a right click inside the box to have a new menu to select the key ("configure").

For the Aeliss edition, I m using his new WIP core, so I will not update the old one, and I can't publish a new one with unofficial stolen code. So I m like you, I m waiting for the final version ^^.

greatxerox

thank you Aeliss & Arnold :)

arnoldemu

New release of arnold for windows.

Changes:
- menus with checkmarks didn't update in debugger
- another ASIC Split bug fixed. Delirium Tremens demo now works.
- another PRI bug fixed.
- more than 1 positional keyboard configuration can be chosen.
- positional keyboard configuration can be configured in a basic way.
- added debugging feature: reveal graphics under border. (enable/disable border drawing)
- moved debugging switches to where debugger is (here you can turn on/off audio channels, sprites, split etc).
- improvements to crtc emulation (more to come). All types except HD6845R are improved.
- Yarek's 4MB ram expansion is more accurate (thanks @TFM )
- emulation of blanking on kc compact.
EDIT: - added multiplay 3rd fire button and added placeholder multiplay mouse registers (currently always  0)

EDIT: Source uploaded for Linux users to build :)

http://cpctech.cpc-live.com/arnoldsrc.zip

This has all the changes too :)
My games. My Games

fgbrain

I think I found a bug! Command IN F,(C) is not implemented well...

this code on a cpc checks for a frame flyback (also works on WinAPE)

ld b,&f5
.frame  db &ed,&70 ; IN F,(C)
jp po,frame

exactly like the normal routine (only this works fine with Arnold)

ld b,&f5
.frame  in a,(c)
rra
jr nc,frame   

hardly ever used undocumented routine but still a bug...
_____

6128 (UK keyboard, Crtc type 0/2), 6128+ (UK keyboard), 3.5" and 5.25" drives, Reset switch and Digiblaster (selfmade), Inicron Romram box, Bryce Megaflash, SVideo & PS/2 mouse, , Magnum Lightgun, X-MEM, X4 Board, C4CPC, Multiface2 X4, RTC X4 and Gotek USB Floppy emulator.

arnoldemu

Quote from: fgbrain on 13:09, 11 June 16
I think I found a bug! Command IN F,(C) is not implemented well...

this code on a cpc checks for a frame flyback (also works on WinAPE)

ld b,&f5
.frame  db &ed,&70 ; IN F,(C)
jp po,frame

exactly like the normal routine (only this works fine with Arnold)

ld b,&f5
.frame  in a,(c)
rra
jr nc,frame   

hardly ever used undocumented routine but still a bug...
Sorry but I don't think your code will work exactly like the normal routine.
po will trigger for any odd number of 1 bits in the register.
e.g. 10100010

This will also trigger it because there are 3 ones, but here vsync is not set.

For English CPC to trigger it cassette ready must be 0, printer must be connected and ready and you must either use a 6128 or a 464 with ddi-1.

But I will check on all my cpcs to confirm.

On Arnold, printer is offline unless you setup writing to a file, so this is probably why it doesn't work.

EDIT:
Works on GX4000.
On 464+ I had mixed results, one time it didn't work and another it did. I think the result depends on the bits from the cassette.
On 6128+ without tape always fails.
Works on 6128 (without printer)

I didn't check 464 yet.

"6128+" configuration in arnold is a 6128+ without cassette interface added. I think winape probably emulates a 6128+ (or maybe a 6512+) with cassette interface.

My games. My Games

reidrac

Quote from: arnoldemu on 09:00, 11 June 16
New release of arnold for windows.

Changes:
- menus with checkmarks didn't update in debugger
- another ASIC Split bug fixed. Delirium Tremens demo now works.
- another PRI bug fixed.
- more than 1 positional keyboard configuration can be chosen.
- positional keyboard configuration can be configured in a basic way.
- added debugging feature: reveal graphics under border. (enable/disable border drawing)
- moved debugging switches to where debugger is (here you can turn on/off audio channels, sprites, split etc).
- improvements to crtc emulation (more to come). All types except HD6845R are improved.
- Yarek's 4MB ram expansion is more accurate (thanks @TFM )
- emulation of blanking on kc compact.
EDIT: - added multiplay 3rd fire button and added placeholder multiplay mouse registers (currently always  0)

EDIT: Source uploaded for Linux users to build :)

http://cpctech.cpc-live.com/arnoldsrc.zip

This has all the changes too :)

Where I can check the version in the source code and/or the changes from a previous version?

Also, can you include the dependency list required to build the source in Linux? Perhaps the install.txt could include it (name of the dependency, minimal version, etc).
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

fgbrain

For English CPC to trigger it cassette ready must be 0, printer must be connected and ready and you must either use a 6128 or a 464 with ddi-1.

Me and KOD (an old pal) we found this working on 2 6128s without printers and tapes (mid 90s I think it was).

But perhaps you're right about other CPCs... Needs checking..
_____

6128 (UK keyboard, Crtc type 0/2), 6128+ (UK keyboard), 3.5" and 5.25" drives, Reset switch and Digiblaster (selfmade), Inicron Romram box, Bryce Megaflash, SVideo & PS/2 mouse, , Magnum Lightgun, X-MEM, X4 Board, C4CPC, Multiface2 X4, RTC X4 and Gotek USB Floppy emulator.

arnoldemu

Quote from: fgbrain on 14:07, 11 June 16
Me and KOD (an old pal) we found this working on 2 6128s without printers and tapes (mid 90s I think it was).

But perhaps you're right about other CPCs... Needs checking..
I did some testing and it doesn't work on 6128+. I updated my message with my results so far. :)
I confirm that it works on 6128 without printer and tape. :)

My games. My Games

arnoldemu

Quote from: reidrac on 13:54, 11 June 16
Where I can check the version in the source code and/or the changes from a previous version?

Also, can you include the dependency list required to build the source in Linux? Perhaps the install.txt could include it (name of the dependency, minimal version, etc).
I was going to say "check the file 'build_notes.txt'" but it seems fossil scm removed that file!
On linux it's really confused about if that file exists in fossil or not.  >:(

For linux:

cmake
gcc
g++
libsdl1.2-dev
libwxgtk3.0-dev

and run this shell script:
make_arnz80_release.sh

My games. My Games

reidrac

Quote from: arnoldemu on 14:14, 11 June 16
I was going to say "check the file 'build_notes.txt'" but it seems fossil scm removed that file!
On linux it's really confused about if that file exists in fossil or not.  >:(

For linux:

cmake
gcc
g++
libsdl1.2-dev
libwxgtk3.0-dev

and run this shell script:
make_arnz80_release.sh

OK, thanks.

I'm trying (again) to build Debian packages, but is not going to be pretty because the way you build the project. Also some files are missing (license?), etc.

If I get anywhere this time, I may upload my changes to a github repo so you can integrate them in Fossil if you want to.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

arnoldemu

Quote from: reidrac on 13:54, 11 June 16

I didn't keep track of the changelist and the changes but I should so here are the ones I gathered from the checkins I did:

Since january 20th (which I think was the last release on all platforms):

- added "interlace field" to debugger information. This tracks the internal frame the crtc uses for interlace
- fixed i/o port decoding for symbiface 2 for selecting it's rom and ram
- added ide drive address register
- used RAII for dialogs instead of new and delete
- fixed refresh of menus with checkable items under windows
- added cursor flash state to type 3 status registers
- fixed more of the type 3 status register bits
- fixed annoying screen jumping.
- fixed opening cpr from finder on mac
- fix IPC (this is where if you start a second instance of arnold it tells you and then it communicates the opened file to the other one)
- turn off IPC on mac
- move where resources are within mac bundle
- fixed blank screen when launching games on mac from finder
- set initial prescale value to 0 on power-on because that seems to be the most common value
- fixed most initial asic register values when powering on
- obtained sample rate was incorrectly reported in console window
- attempted to improve sound synchronisation on start up
- translated key mode no longer interrupts autotype
- upgraded code for wx3.1 and sdl2.0.4
- initially centre window on screen
- much closer crtc r9, r4 and r7 emulation. much closer to the tests.
- improved r12/r13 emulation on type 2 including correct time when values are captured and when they are used
- if attempting to autostart a dsk and too many files qualify do a CAT to list them for the user.
- type 3 "vertical adjust" - defined by crtc r5 fixes
- if you auto start a single sided dsk switch to side 0 (fixes problems if you force side 1 in the settings)
- changed crtc r6 handling, works more like my tests but breaks "From Scratch" XD
- fixed vertical sync length handling on CRTC type 0.
- improvements for CRTC R8 handling in terms of interlace and interlace and sync.
- type 2 interlace now working correctly.
- vortex 512kb ram is now a useable device
- fix loading arnold from paths with '#' in them
- if an override rom has been defined (basic, amsdos, os) ignore if the filename is empty. stops confusion with black screen
- physical keyboard mode key assignments were not always reported correctly. now fixed.
- allow choice of different positional keyboard layouts
- fixed handling of reload media when modified. Yes was ignored.
- kc compact blanking fixed (blanking happens during hsync and vsync)
- improved positional keyboard redefinition
- fixed i/o port decoding for Yarek's 4MB expansion. Thanks to TFM for testing :)
- fixed split screen on last line of screen - fixes Delerium Tremens demo.

My games. My Games

TFM

WoW!!! You've been super busy! Great work! Hats off!!!  :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

greatxerox

Arnold, please could you do a description for Arnoldemu ?

i'm going to put it on Emu-france.  :)

roudoudou

Arnold, great work!

My pronouns are RASM and ACE

TFM

Who is Arnold?  ;D  [nb]http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Kevin_Thacker[/nb]
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

I though he was named Emu!  :'(
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

robcfg

His name is Emu. Arnold Emu...  ;D