News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

A new version of Arnold.

Started by Aeliss, 16:16, 20 January 14

Previous topic - Next topic

arnoldemu

Quote from: greatxerox on 18:43, 12 June 16
Arnold, please could you do a description for Arnoldemu ?

i'm going to put it on Emu-france.  :)
Mr.Emu ( :D ) says:

"
Arnold emulator lets you play classic Amstrad CPC and Amstrad Plus games on your PC.

Use it's powerful options to configure the computer just like the one you used to have or to experience newly released hardware and see the future of Amstrad.

If you like to program, enjoy the powerful debugger, inspect and edit memory, dissassemble programs and see the hardware state.

Arnold also includes emulation of two Amstrad clones, one from Eastern Germany, the KC Compact, and one from the former Soviet Union - the Aleste 520EX.
"

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

greatxerox

Quote from: arnoldemu on 13:12, 14 June 16
Mr.Emu ( :D ) says:

"
Arnold emulator lets you play classic Amstrad CPC and Amstrad Plus games on your PC.

Use it's powerful options to configure the computer just like the one you used to have or to experience newly released hardware and see the future of Amstrad.

If you like to program, enjoy the powerful debugger, inspect and edit memory, dissassemble programs and see the hardware state.

Arnold also includes emulation of two Amstrad clones, one from Eastern Germany, the KC Compact, and one from the former Soviet Union - the Aleste 520EX.
"

Fiche de Arnold Emulator (2016/06/11) - Emu-France   8)

Kris

TFM

So do we have two separated lines of evolution for Arnold now?

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Ast

@arnoldemu : Can you re-send me your email adress ?
I've done the "Beast+" for your emulation test !

Beast+ loading all files & working on x-Mass using my iMPdos v1.16.2
Basically it's not hard to do ^^
I have done some modifications today and keep it X-Mem compatible... So Beast+ works on Cpc Plus with or without memory Expansion...

Ast/iMP4CT. "By the power of Grayskull, i've the power"

http://amstradplus.forumforever.com/index.php
http://impdos.wikidot.com/
http://impdraw.wikidot.com/

All friends are welcome !

TFM

The background mountains still move more quick than some of the small ant hills in the front. Would look more realistic when this would be changed, so that objects obviously more far away move slower that objects more near. Well, if doable.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Ast

just made a "pre-preview" for Arnoldemu, but I'll do my best to fix it in a future version....

Ast

arnoldemu

Quote from: Ast on 19:54, 14 June 16
@arnoldemu : email sent !
@Ast: received. I am running it now :)

EDIT: Really nice! :)
My games. My Games

Ramon Zarat

Hi.

The sound in the demo "Batman forever" is wrong. Tried 2-3 other demos and same thing. Tried to changed quite a few setting to solve issue, still wrong. Play perfectly in JavaCPC Desktop latest version.

System:

2500K @ 4.7Ghz
16GB RAM
GTX 660, driver 365.19
3 X LCD 1680X1050
Win 7 64
Aero on

PS: Nice comeback after a decade+ long hiatus!

arnoldemu

Quote from: Ramon Zarat on 02:15, 15 June 16
Hi.

The sound in the demo "Batman forever" is wrong. Tried 2-3 other demos and same thing. Tried to changed quite a few setting to solve issue, still wrong. Play perfectly in JavaCPC Desktop latest version.

System:

2500K @ 4.7Ghz
16GB RAM
GTX 660, driver 365.19
3 X LCD 1680X1050
Win 7 64
Aero on
Hi Ramon,
Thank you for the report. It is my plan to fix it for next release :)

Quote from: Ramon Zarat on 02:15, 15 June 16
PS: Nice comeback after a decade+ long hiatus!
Thank you :)
My games. My Games

Gryzor

*its

TFM

... and see the future of Amstrad.
Therefore you need an option to autoboot FutureOS  ;D
TFM of FutureSoft

Executioner

Quote from: Ast on 15:26, 14 June 16
I have done some modifications today and keep it X-Mem compatible... So Beast+ works on Cpc Plus with or without memory Expansion...

Hi Ast, have you tried Beast+ on WinAPE? I'd like to know if it runs properly.

genesis8

Quote from: arnoldemu on 09:00, 11 June 16
EDIT: Source uploaded for Linux users to build :)

http://cpctech.cpc-live.com/arnoldsrc.zip

I tried to compile but I get the following error in cmakeerror.log :

/usr/bin/cc   -Wall -pedantic  -DCHECK_FUNCTION_EXISTS=pthread_create    CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec591663486.dir/CheckFunctionExists.c.o  -o cmTryCompileExec591663486 -rdynamic -lpthreads
/usr/bin/ld: ne peut trouver -lpthreads

Before the script stops, I have :

Will use SDL
-- Looking for include file pthread.h
-- Looking for include file pthread.h - found
-- Looking for pthread_create
-- Looking for pthread_create - not found
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthreads
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthreads - not found
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthread
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthread - found
-- Found Threads: TRUE 
-- Found SDL: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSDLmain.a;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSDL.so;-lpthread (found version "1.2.15")
SDL found

-- Could NOT find EXPAT (missing:  EXPAT_LIBRARY EXPAT_INCLUDE_DIR)
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.0/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:136 (message):
  Could NOT find EXPAT (missing: EXPAT_LIBRARY EXPAT_INCLUDE_DIR)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake-3.0/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:343 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
  /usr/share/cmake-3.0/Modules/FindEXPAT.cmake:57 (FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS)
  CMakeLists.txt:182 (FIND_PACKAGE)

Any idea (on lubuntu 15.04) ?

arnoldemu

Hi Emmanuel,

I think old versions of wxwidgets need libexpat.

Please unzip these files over the source.

I have replaced two CMakeLists.txt and disabled libexpat.

This works for me. Does it work for you?
My games. My Games

genesis8

Quote from: arnoldemu on 16:49, 25 June 16
Hi Emmanuel,

I think old versions of wxwidgets need libexpat.

Please unzip these files over the source.

I have replaced two CMakeLists.txt and disabled libexpat.

This works for me. Does it work for you?

It worked and ended on :

/home/martin/Documents/arnold/src/cpc/asic.c:1426:2: note: use option -std=c99, -std=gnu99, -std=c11 or -std=gnu11 to compile your code
cpc/CMakeFiles/cpc.dir/build.make:169: recipe for target 'cpc/CMakeFiles/cpc.dir/asic.c.o' failed
make[2]: *** [cpc/CMakeFiles/cpc.dir/asic.c.o] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:86: recipe for target 'cpc/CMakeFiles/cpc.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [cpc/CMakeFiles/cpc.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:76: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

In CMakeError.log :

/usr/bin/cc   -Wall -pedantic  -DCHECK_FUNCTION_EXISTS=pthread_create    CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec629741184.dir/CheckFunctionExists.c.o  -o cmTryCompileExec629741184 -rdynamic -lpthreads
/usr/bin/ld: ne peut trouver -lpthreads
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec629741184.dir/build.make:88: recipe for target 'cmTryCompileExec629741184' failed
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/martin/Documents/arnold/src/build_arnz80_release/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
make[1]: *** [cmTryCompileExec629741184] Error 1
Makefile:118: recipe for target 'cmTryCompileExec629741184/fast' failed
make: *** [cmTryCompileExec629741184/fast] Error 2

Still the error with LD and the option -lpthreads. I checked before posting my first message, and found some posts about using -lpthread instead of -lpthreads. But I found nothing in all the CMakeLists.txt
r

arnoldemu

I think pthreads is a wxwidgets dependency.

What do you see with:

wx-config --libs

??
I see -pthread in the list.

What do you see for:

wx-config --list

??

I have gtk2-unicode-3.1

EDIT: I will download lubuntu :)

My games. My Games

genesis8

Quote from: arnoldemu on 17:15, 25 June 16
I think pthreads is a wxwidgets dependency.

What do you see with:

wx-config --libs

??
I see -pthread in the list.

What do you see for:

wx-config --list

??

I have gtk2-unicode-3.1

With wx-config --libs :

-L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu -pthread   -lwx_gtk2u_xrc-3.0 -lwx_gtk2u_html-3.0 -lwx_gtk2u_qa-3.0 -lwx_gtk2u_adv-3.0 -lwx_gtk2u_core-3.0 -lwx_baseu_xml-3.0 -lwx_baseu_net-3.0 -lwx_baseu-3.0

With wx-config --list :

Default config is gtk2-unicode-3.0

Default config will be used for output

Alternate matches:
    base-unicode-3.0

I had no problems compiling arnold on a raspberry pi2 in march though.

arnoldemu

Quote from: genesis8 on 17:49, 25 June 16
With wx-config --libs :

-L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu -pthread   -lwx_gtk2u_xrc-3.0 -lwx_gtk2u_html-3.0 -lwx_gtk2u_qa-3.0 -lwx_gtk2u_adv-3.0 -lwx_gtk2u_core-3.0 -lwx_baseu_xml-3.0 -lwx_baseu_net-3.0 -lwx_baseu-3.0

With wx-config --list :

Default config is gtk2-unicode-3.0

Default config will be used for output

Alternate matches:
    base-unicode-3.0

I had no problems compiling arnold on a raspberry pi2 in march though.
All the settings are good. It must be something in lubuntu's configuration. It will be at least 1 hour before I can test lubunutu and know.

I can't help until then sorry. I use ubuntu.

Good to know it worked on the pi2. :)
My games. My Games

reidrac

I managed to compile the emulator in Debian, with the special bit of being an ARM machine (a Chromebook actually).

Some feedback:

• I had to change a couple of C files that were failing to compile. Looks like you're using a C standard that forbids variable declaration inside a for clause (according to gcc); such as:
for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++)

• SDL 2 segfaults in a pthread mutex; could be that SDL 2 library is not well supported in ARM, or it could be your code. I don't know.
  • SDL 1 works fine, good performance, but the audio is choppy and noisy (using pulseaudio). I couldn't make it work well enough, so I disabled it with "SDL_AUDIODRIVER=none" env variable. Not a big deal for development, but it'll try to put more time on this to find out if it is an issue with PA or what.
  • The compiler reports a good number of warnings that, in some cases, could point to issues (comparing signed with unsigned or potential overflows, for example).

Still didn't manage to build the Debian package (this is a different test actually), but so far looks really good. Shame on the sound, but SDL 1 is really outdated. Those problems may go away when the SDL 2 version is stable.

A screenshot:

[attach=2]
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

arnoldemu

Quote from: reidrac on 18:54, 25 June 16
I managed to compile the emulator in Debian, with the special bit of being an ARM machine (a Chromebook actually).
SDL2 doesn't work with wxwidgets fully. Both use pthreads and I think wxwidgets initialises it first.
I think that is the problem :(

All the other problems are my fault ;)

My games. My Games

arnoldemu

@genesis8:

I ran lubuntu 16.04 from a live cd, I installed libwxgtk3.0-dev, libsdl1.2-dev, cmake.
I saw the same compile error with libexpat. I removed that in CMakeLists.txt.
Mine links. ?

I tried build_arnz80_release. I will try the other shell scripts.

My games. My Games

reidrac

Quote from: arnoldemu on 19:10, 25 June 16
SDL2 doesn't work with wxwidgets fully. Both use pthreads and I think wxwidgets initialises it first.
I think that is the problem :(

All the other problems are my fault ;)

Yep, some people mention that you should implement (perhaps) main yourself instead of allowing wxwidgets to do it: http://stackoverflow.com/a/29043507

One simple request: can you implement a debug flag that enables the output on the terminal and keep it quiet otherwise? Currently I can redirect to /dev/null; but that flag would be useful.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

arnoldemu

Quote from: reidrac on 19:15, 25 June 16
Yep, some people mention that you should implement (perhaps) main yourself instead of allowing wxwidgets to do it: http://stackoverflow.com/a/29043507

One simple request: can you implement a debug flag that enables the output on the terminal and keep it quiet otherwise? Currently I can redirect to /dev/null; but that flag would be useful.
I will do both as requested. :)

I will also look at the source code for both sdl and wxwidgets and see how safe the suggested solution is. The solution suggests this should be done but doesn't guarantee that it's completely safe.

@genesis8: I am sorry that I wasn't able to reproduce the problem you saw. Thinking about it, it may have been the compiler selected by cmake. Do you know if it was gcc or clang?

My games. My Games