ACE CPC Emulator, only Amiga makes it possible?

Started by OffseT, 21:43, 17 July 16

Previous topic - Next topic

OffseT

Say hello to the updated ACEpansion for the Albireo!

This new version fixes a few issues but also adds new features such as proper files date and time emulation as well as the ability to connect two Albireos at the same time.

As always, in addition to the ACEpansion SDK, source code of all ACEpansions is available (and it is for years!). Don't be afraid and feel free to use it to make other emulators as versatile as ACE CPC Emulator! 8)

Longshot

Hello

The minor correction on CRTCs 0 and 2 that is indicated in the detail of the update notes of ACE 1.25 caught my attention.

Indeed, you write there that this correction makes it possible to "authorize the deactivation of the border byte between the vertical rupture".

ACE therefore now allows hiding the border byte displayed by default between 2 line segments on CRTC 0 and 2.

Can you specify the method used to hide the border byte on these CRTCs?
If you have code that demontrates this, can you share it?

This will allow me to document the method in the Compendium and to create the associated test in SHAKER. ;D
Rhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

OffseT

Quote from: Longshot on 21:59, 28 October 22Can you specify the method used to hide the border byte on these CRTCs?
If you have code that demontrates this, can you share it?

This will allow me to document the method in the Compendium and to create the associated test in SHAKER. ;D
I didn't have time to dig into the Shaker yet, but I guess it is something you should already cover. IIRC, it was just about emulating extra bits controlling border in R8.

OffseT

By the way, Nova ACEpansion was upgraded to v1.2 which fixes issues with clock emulation.

Longshot

QuoteI didn't have time to dig into the Shaker yet, but I guess it is something you should already cover. IIRC, it was just about emulating extra bits controlling border in R8.
It's a good thing if ACE now supports the R8 Skew Bits feature on CRTC 0.

Border management via R8 is not at all intended to cancel the border byte between 2 vertical rupture.
This is a trick using this function in a very specific context.
And to my knowledge never demonstrated elsewhere than in Shaker & Compendium.
Yet this is how you presented these corrections. :o

CRTC 2 does not control the BORDER, so emulating this function on this CRTC is a mistake.
If you hide the border byte on this CRTC, it cannot be with R8. ::)

Could you share the code that allowed you to verify that ACE is able to handle this trick? ;D
You may have done things differently from me, and that could enrich the Compendium.

OffseT

Nope, it was not a full R8 skew bits support. That's the reason of this description.
Full R8 skew support may or may not come. ;D

About the check code, I could get it when I'm back home.

Longshot

So you integrated a kludge in ACE to manage an effect that is only mentioned in the compendium...
And this effect does not exist in any official production other than in Shaker (2nd test).

If you made a risky emulation of R8, I advise you to remove it from your CRTC 2 code.
To my knowledge, this function does not exist on this circuit. ;D

OffseT

Quote from: Longshot on 12:35, 05 November 22So you integrated a kludge in ACE to manage an effect that is only mentioned in the compendium... And this effect does not exist in any official production other than in Shaker (2nd test).
I don't remember exactly when I was told about this feature, I guess it was Roudoudou about one year ago (or maybe is was Hicks?) which pointed me some preliminary documentation from you. :)

Just to give the full picture, some years ago, we created "Back to Futurs'", a demo which was using RVMB (a technic which is known to only work on CRTC 1). So, this R8 trick sounded as an interesting feature since it might have made it possible to adapt (at least partially) this demo for CRTC 0... and my test code was actually an abstract of this demo... and I expected ACE to make it run. ;D

OffseT

X-Mass ACEpansion was updated!

In addition to the legacy hard disc image support, this release adds a new mode where a directory can be used to directly share files between the emulated CPC and the host machine (this new mode is enabled by default), making X-Mass ACEpansion almost as helpful as Albireo one.

This nice feature was achieved thanks to an optimized Virtual VFAT implementation based on the code from QEmu (and Bochs) to simulate a VFAT32 structure on-the-fly over a directory contents.

Pick it here: http://ace.cpcscene.net

Enjoy! 8)