News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ACE CPC Emulator, only Amiga makes it possible?

Started by OffseT, 19:43, 17 July 16

Previous topic - Next topic

OffseT

Ok guys. Since Push'n'Pop died, I finally created an account here to post news about ACE.
I know that you are mainly about PeeCee and that ACE is not really your cup of tea, but I need to post news somewhere. ;D

So, ACE 1.12 is finally released after being delayed for quite a long time.

This new version fixes some issues in CRTC emulation (mostly on CRTC 0/2 since CRTC 1/3/4 are already almost perfect  8) ). It also extends the plugins API and comes with new plugins for mice and joysticks.

More details about ACE on the dedicated web page.

http://ace.cpcscene.net

CraigsBar

Will definitely be grabbing this tomorrow. Thanks @OffseT ;)

Edit: Downloaded and installed... Ever better, this is without doubt the best Amstrad Emulator on any platform.

I'd love to see Arnold for OSX match this, and I am sure it will get there. but right now it's not there yet.

Thanks @OffseT and keep up the good work @arnoldemu :)

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

roudoudou

Quote from: OffseT on 19:43, 17 July 16
I know that you are mainly about PeeCee and that ACE is not really your cup of tea, but I need to post news somewhere. ;D

Maybe you see the following post from Kevin about acid testing: amstrad cpc "acid" test

It would be nice to share all limit cases you told me about  :P

My pronouns are RASM and ACE

arnoldemu

@OffseT: Yes I hope I already tested some of these limit cases but if there are some I missed please tell me about them and I will add a test.
I can tell you if the limit case is already tested and the name of the program to run to see it.
I have tested a lot of things but I have probably missed something.

All the tests I made and published have been run on the following setups: GX4000, 464Plus, 6128Plus, 464 (type 0, tall keys), 464 (type 4), 6128 type 0, 6128 type 1, 6128 type 2, KC Compact.
+ I also tested some hardware devices I have: X-MASS, X-MEM, PlayCity, Symbiface 2, Amram 2, Dobbertin ROM board.

Ace has always been the emulator which people say is the best because of it's higher accuracy and compatibility. I can't run it myself but I have asked Craig to run some tests :)

The name "acid" tests comes from the html acid test. e.g. http://acid3.acidtests.org/
It means to thoroughly test features. In our case to thoroughly test the hardware of cpc and plus so that the accuracy of emulators can be confirmed and to highlight and show limits and features of our machines so that they can be used (or worked around) in demos and games :)

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

OffseT

Ok. I didn't know about this acid test (I don't read forums very often).
I'll run it and I'll fix what might be wrong in ACE asap!

That's a very good idea to try to gather this kind of tests. I'll let you know if I have some additional stuff I could provide you
(I guess Roudoudou was thinking about some timing tests for I/O ASIC register page).

I don't know if ACE is that accurate. Well, at least for me it is not accurate enough. :P
Anyway, last time I checked Arnold and WinAPE, ACE was better at almost every stage. ;)
(I cannot check on a regular base because I don't have any PC at home)

Now, the good news is that Arnold and WinAPE are still being improved, and that some other good emulators are on the way for PC users.

TFM

Welcome OffseT, nice to read from you again.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

arnoldemu

Quote from: OffseT on 18:17, 18 July 16

Now, the good news is that Arnold and WinAPE are still being improved, and that some other good emulators are on the way for PC users.
Arnold's accuracy has improved a lot but It doesn't pass the tests 100%.

Feel free to ask questions about the tests. Please put the questions in the thread about them :)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Gryzor

Glad to see some news - the more, the merrier. Even though I still have a MorphOS machine on my to-do list...

Skunkfish

Can MorphOS run on WinUAE? I believe it's possible to run AmigaOS4 now?
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

roudoudou

My pronouns are RASM and ACE

OffseT

MorphOS is a commercial operating system and cannot be run emulated.
Anyway, it is free to download and install on any supported machine (the trial version is limited to 30 minutes sessions).

The goal of ACE never was to be widely spread; I just wanted a proper the best CPC emulator on the machine I have at home. 8)
On PC you already have Arnold and WinAPE which are good and still being improved.

CraigsBar

Quote from: OffseT on 17:26, 21 August 16
MorphOS is a commercial operating system and cannot be run emulated.
Anyway, it is free to download and install on any supported machine (the trial version is limited to 30 minutes sessions).

The goal of ACE never was to be widely spread; I just wanted a proper the best CPC emulator on the machine I have at home. 8)
On PC you already have Arnold and WinAPE which are good and still being improved.
ACE is in my opinion the best emulator on *any* platform. It's a shame I am probably the only one who gets to appreciate it. Thanks for your continued work on ACE it is awesome.

TFM

Quote from: OffseT on 17:26, 21 August 16

You forget JavaCPC, which is in few ways more precise than all other emulators.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

OffseT

Quote from: CraigsBar on 21:05, 21 August 16ACE is in my opinion the best emulator on *any* platform. It's a shame I am probably the only one who gets to appreciate it. Thanks for your continued work on ACE it is awesome.

Thank you very much! ;D
Anyway, there are more users than you think!

Quote from: TFM on 00:14, 22 August 16
You forget JavaCPC, which is in few ways more precise than all other emulators.  :)

Sorry, I don't know much about PeeCee. :P

TFM

Quote from: OffseT on 22:46, 22 August 16

Sorry, I don't know much about PeeCee. :P

Yeah, they're not that important anyways.  :laugh:
TFM of FutureSoft

Skunkfish

Planning an emulator round-up for issue 2 of my fanzine, I'm assuming a Mac Mini G4 and trial MorphOS is the cheapest way to get thus emu up and running?
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

CraigsBar

Quote from: Skunkfish on 12:49, 23 August 16
Planning an emulator round-up for issue 2 of my fanzine, I'm assuming a Mac Mini G4 and trial MorphOS is the cheapest way to get thus emu up and running?
Yep, sure is. It's best if you get a g4 "silent upgrade" Mac mini. But the 1.42ghz is OK too.

OffseT

ACE 1.13 is available.
This version comes with numerous small improvements related to usage for crossdev (thanks Krusty for the advices).

It also fixes several small bugs (mainly in MUI code) and introduces some minor improvements in the emulation engine (thanks to Kevin Thacker test suite). Finally, it also includes internal reworks to improve portability and 64-bits support.

http://ace.cpcscene.net/fr:downloads

CraigsBar

I've been playing with my vampire 600 v2 recently so have not tried thus new release yet. But I guess it will be awesome

CraigsBar

Played with this latest release in preparation for the Amiga event in 3 weeks time. All working beautifully.

OffseT

Hey there!

Just a few words to let you know that ACE 1.14 is released. 8)
A lot of improvements, including CRTC 0 now as good as CRTC 1/3/4, reworked GUI, updated German translation, new icons, new features...

Still for MorphOS only, but internals were also improved to ease a future AmigaOS port.

OffseT

Hi there!

ACE 1.15 is released. :o
A lot of improvements, including real time video recording, extensive symbols handling, clipboard support and a bunch of new stuff...

Still for MorphOS only, sorry guys! :P

DanyPPC

I own a MacMini G4 with dual OS (MacOS/MorphOS) installed, and i think ACE is the best Amstrad CPC/CPC+ emulator i have tested and used on an Amiga compatible platform.

Great work !  ;)
CPC 464 with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 464+ with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 6128+ with C4CPC and Gotek HxC USB Drive Emulator

Skunkfish

Planning to pick up a PowerPC Mac Mini this week and looking forward to trying out this emulator finally!

OffseT

Additionally, I published the source code of a small tool which can be used to convert ACE video recordings (AREC files) and then encode them (thru ffmpeg) in your preferred format.

Here it is: ace-arec2raw

It is the POSIX compatible version of the tool already provided for MorphOS with ACE. The goal is mainly to be able to use a big fat PeeCee to do the durty encoding job instead of injuring your little MorphOS machine.  ;D