News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ACE for Linux,Mac, Windows

Started by roudoudou, 06:30, 27 October 23

Previous topic - Next topic

Prodatron

Wow, that works great!
(btw, I wonder why Unidos takes so long for scanning the device - but we have F5 in ACE, so no problem  :D )

Thanks, Roudoudou, for the good explanation how to set it up (maybe you could also mention, that the Ram should be increased a little bit). Oh, and the SymbOS ROMs are not required, as you boot it from the HDD with Unidos anyway. I can make a ROM version of the 4.0 beta, which then won't require Unidos for booting.

I recognized that the mouse wheel doesn't seem to be emulated (at least in Windows).
I wonder if this is an issue with SDL, or if you are still planning to add this?

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

roudoudou

Sure, will add the RAM settings !

I did not add the wheel yet (neither other buttons) but it will probably be part of next release

The reason is the wheel is a special event and it is pumped elsewhere the Mouse click/coordinates management so i will have to modifiy a little my core to propagate this

I'm looking forward your 4.0 Beta :p
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

roudoudou

OK, tested successfully with SYMB_OS Beta 4
There is no need to have UniDos on the side and the boot is fast 8)
New ROM pack on the website + new, simpler installation procedure

HAL6128

...with SymbOS Beta 4? Nice. I'm curious :)
Nice videos by the way. Thanks for good explaning all.
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

SkulleateR

@roudoudou

I have questions ;)

All files I see in the private/ACE-DL-Files folder are those in the screenshot below (Mac M1 this is) ...

You cannot view this attachment.

no xmass (or x-mass) folder and the rom folder is empty, even if I copy the SymbOS e02 file in there, I cannot see it in the ACE menu to select it. When trying to use an ide-image and select NEW HDD IMAGE there is nothing there, no file is created ... however, the albireo and dsk folders are seen in the ACE config and I have access to the files in there ...  :-\ ???

roudoudou

i forward this to Sid who is packaging Mac versions

CPCBEGIN

Amazing emulator for several hours of diversion.
Will there be an raspberry pi 4XX version?
Retro & opensource

roudoudou

Quote from: CPCBEGIN on 21:23, 08 December 23Amazing emulator for several hours of diversion.
Will there be an raspberry pi 4XX version?
Sid tried to compile & run on PI4 but we have a speed issue (maybe audio output because i'm synchronising on the audio stream)
we are working on it (slowly) if there is a Pi version you will know ;)

Sid_

Quote from: SkulleateR on 13:34, 08 December 23@roudoudou

I have questions ;)

All files I see in the private/ACE-DL-Files folder are those in the screenshot below (Mac M1 this is) ...

no xmass (or x-mass) folder and the rom folder is empty, even if I copy the SymbOS e02 file in there, I cannot see it in the ACE menu to select it. When trying to use an ide-image and select NEW HDD IMAGE there is nothing there, no file is created ... however, the albireo and dsk folders are seen in the ACE config and I have access to the files in there ...  :-\ ???

As far I understand, you want to add some roms in Ace. 
You can store your roms in $HOME/ACE-DL-Files/roms for instance and drag and drop from Finder to Ace rom setup UI. You can do everything by drag and drop. If you are still in trouble send me a PM I'll try to fix your issue.

SkulleateR

@Sid_ 

PM sent ... there is no way I get the IMG into ACE-DL for whatever reason, not even by Drag&Drop  :-\

roudoudou

Yes, the IMG files are not supposed to be dragged&dropped!

SkulleateR

Quote from: roudoudou on 08:55, 09 December 23Yes, the IMG files are not supposed to be dragged&dropped!

Yes, I know but I tried anyway ;)

Ok, so this is definitely a MacOS issue since at first start, there are folders created at /USERS/XYZ/ACE-DL-FILES/ and these are accessible from AceDL .

BUT : there are also THE SAME folders inside the AceDL.app/ and as they are readable, MacOS cannot WRITE to it.

So I tried manually to copy the IMG and the E02 files into the APP/ folders (.APP/CONTENTS/MACOS/PRIVATE/XMASS and /ROMS) and now at least it is starting but I got no access to the IMG file inside the emulation, it shows the "IDE" in the AceDL window but it won't access it.

I tested the same in Win 11 by the way and it works, including IDE access. So this is definitely a MacOS issue  :(

roudoudou

people told me we can write in the APP folder so i do not bother about home/emulator folder distinction for the xmass IMG

i will change the reference to $home/xmass instead of $emu/private/xmass for Mac version, it will solve your issue

SkulleateR

Here you can see the mounting error after I copied everything into the .APP/ folders :

QuoteLoadRomPack starting from #02
Loading ROM pack [./rom/SYMB_OS_Beta4.e02]
IDE Reset
*** IDE UnMount ***
new image selected [./private/xmass/SymbOS_ProdatronPack.img]
SYMBi-Mouse installed
Backuping NOVA NVRAM [./private/Nova/nova.nvram]
SYMBi-RTC installed
ide created
mounting
*** IDE UnMount ***
IDEMount [./private/xmass/SymbOS_ProdatronPack.img]
mounting error [./private/xmass/SymbOS_ProdatronPack.img]
Amstrad 100% bad FDC access routine detected!

SkulleateR

@roudoudou @Sid_ 

I tried further and manually edited the IMG path in the config.cfg inside the ACE-DL_futuristics folder ... now IDE and SymbOS is working fine, so it really would be a good idea to exclude all files that are used out of the .APP/ folder :)

Sid_

Hi @SkulleateR,
It's a solution, you can do that. 
I send you a message in PM with another solution. 
Have fun.

Regards

Sid

CPCBEGIN

I think I find a bug:
ACE-DL doesn't run dsk with 57 track used, than runs in real CPC with 3.5" floppy drives or other emulators like Retro Virtual Machine.

Sample 57 track dsk.
Retro & opensource

roudoudou

No problem reading
Quote from: CPCBEGIN on 21:41, 09 December 23I think I find a bug:
ACE-DL doesn't run dsk with 57 track used, than runs in real CPC with 3.5" floppy drives or other emulators like Retro Virtual Machine.

Sample 57 track dsk.
no problem reading your DSK with drive "Generic 3.5" or "Gotek" selected as drive A

it's perfectly normal having problem reading that DSK with 3" drive as CPC drive cannot read more than 42 track and is single side

as you said, in a real CPC your need a 3.5 drive, not the 3 inches ;)

Jean-Marie

Just so you know, the FDC doesn't seem to read disks protected with LATIS.

roudoudou

Quote from: Jean-Marie on 00:26, 10 December 23Just so you know, the FDC doesn't seem to read disks protected with LATIS.

Be aware that DSK are not proper floppy images, Hercule 2 is loading fine when using SuperCard Pro dump

Anyway, the FDC is a very young project inside ACE port, and i dont know when i will have time to finish all the tests i have to do ;D

roudoudou

New release with rollback to the past functionnality for clumsy players like me ;D

Also some new plugins, new debug windows, ...

A short video to demonstrate the "time machine" and OPL3 playback with a new pack of 4200+ OPL3 musics + player

http://www.roudoudou.com/ACE-DL/ (do a refresh F5, we never know...)

Joseman

Hi @roudoudou 

First of all, congratulations for the emulator, the debugger part is very cool, and all the options available, very good emulator indeed

I tried today the demo Still The One by Impact, only CRTC1 but i managed to bypass the CRTC detection and run it on my real CPC CRTC type 0.

The results are not equal (ace on crtc0 too)

I put here the screenshot of my CPC monitor and in the middle-left the ace screen.

The ace emulator is displaying the center circles, but my cpc is unabled to display them. And the "still the one" banner positioned up but "correctly" displayed, instead ace emulator display it down and the banner starts sowhing near the middle and the end of the banner is displayed before the start of the banner itself.

I don't know if this is useful for anything.

aceemulatorvs-CPCSTO" border="0

roudoudou

Happy New Year :P

http://www.roudoudou.com/ACE-DL/

Quote=== 2024 new resolutions release ===

- new CRT filter "CTM" with glowing slot mask
- new CRT filter "Trinitron" for Arcade machine lovers
- new CRT filter "GT6x" dedicated to monochrome display
- new floppy explorer module in drive configuration submenu (beta)
- new HDD drive sounds + model configuration (totally useless but hey!)
- new Orgams ROM pack in order to work with IMPsuite pack
- ability to save snapshot with F4 key (Asic chunks, REMU, extended RAM, ROM, Firmware backup supported)
- ability to reset emulator from trace with F12 key or button from HUD
- upper memory is not more reinit when RESET is triggered
- text is also highlighted in ramdump when there is a selection or breakpoint visible
- handle cross to close emulator when in configuration menu (except ROM config+disk editor)
- display 0/1 instead of 0/Pflags for IFF flip/flop in trace
- FDC bit read/write fully rewritten to manage strong speed variations and physical limits
- FDC seek and calibration engine is dissociated from physical drives
- FDC drive pooling management + Sense Interrupt rewritten
- FDC debug window with moar informations
- bugfix FDC Seek (emulator crash when ejection during seek)
- bugfix FDC WriteData burst mode
- bugfix FDC format execution phase status update
- bugfix FDC angle preservation from track to track
- bugfix EDSK recording with spiketrack
- bugfix annoying glitch with some audio samples
- bugfix error messages when a file cannot be loaded
- bugfix key repetition when using keyboard remapping
- bugfix regression about plugins status in configuration file

roudoudou

2024.01.12 Windows Fix because there was some trouble with overscan and screen filters when changing screen size (there is a switch between Plus and CPC)

roudoudou

New release http://www.roudoudou.com/ACE-DL/

Since i have more time to investigate on floppy controller and Hitachi drives, i focused mostly on FDC evolutions, this is still a work in progress but it should be accurate enough for almost anything

Some people asked me for a Zoom x1.5, i added it but i do not recommand this zoom for Screen Filters like CTM (best in x1 or x2)

- FDC ReadDiag/ReadData sub-status timings accuracy
- FDC Sense Interrupt evolutions (interrupt overwrites, timings)
- FDC Format behaviour evolutions (results, overlap, timings)
- FDC Accurate Write timeout (different from Read timeout)
- FDC Debug window displays General Status + step info
- FDC GetID sick mode emulation
- FDC Seek/Calibration evolutions (why, how, what, where, when)
- Floppy Drive seek tolerances behaviour simulated
- added Left-CTRL as fire 2 for WASD joystick emulation
- Play2CPC VROM may be setted from snapshot if plugin is activated
- Play2CPC VROM may be mapped from Ram or Graphics Explorer if plugin is activated
- New byte graphic visualisation mode in Graphics Explorer
- New zoom mode at crappy ratio of x1.5 (OK for Raw/Monochrome, but not CTM display)
- allow screen capture during debug via context menu (right-click on trace pannel)
- file selection now use full window size
- bugfix FDC ControlMark management
- bugfix FDC GetID regression (FatMag wasn't readable)
- bugfix FDC bit writing on track loop
- bugfix Play2CPC VROM activation when there is no cartridge
- bugfix savestate select (click was not precise as it was supposed to be)
- bugfix OUT (C),L opcode display when disassembling
- bugfix plugin activation from command line
- bugfix Graphics Explorer interactivity (wasn't able to going down in memory)
- bugfix Windows version crash when loading in overscan mode or CTM resize