News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ACE is well ace!

Started by CraigsBar, 19:09, 29 November 14

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigsBar

Hi guys 'n' gals,

Having got my long awaited MorphOS Mac mini 'silent upgrade' up and running. I thought I'd give ACE a try. And Wow! This is one good emulator. Yes probably better than the current osx port of Arnold or winape.
Anyone that has access to a ppc Mac mini or Radeon Mac pro needs to have this emulator.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Munchausen

I have heard from various sources who've used it that it is the best CPC emulator... Haven't tried it myself but there should be a port to haiku at some point (see thread on pushnpop), which is my preferred OS. I've got a few bits of powerpc hardware about but the cost of morphos is a bit prohibitive to me.

CraigsBar

I've been playing further with it today. So far nothing fails to load. Batman Forever (single disc version) perfect. Breaking baud perfect, ultimate megademo perfect. On the games front prehistorik 2 retype 128, Sub hunter, all perfect. Truely a polished emulator. If only ppc/morphos were not as you say a little cost prohibitive then this would be the new yardstick.

CraigsBar

Oh, and I picked up a 2nd hand viewsonic 19" LCD dvi monitor for the mm today (€35). Looks even better on that.

CraigsBar

The only thing in ACE that is a bit of a downer is the lack of cdt support. All tapes need to be converted to wav first :-(

AMSDOS

Quote from: CraigsBar on 01:40, 01 December 14
I've been playing further with it today. So far nothing fails to load. Batman Forever (single disc version) perfect. Breaking baud perfect, ultimate megademo perfect. On the games front prehistorik 2 retype 128, Sub hunter, all perfect. Truely a polished emulator. If only ppc/morphos were not as you say a little cost prohibitive then this would be the new yardstick.

Unpatched version of The Eternal Light?  :D

Quote from: CraigsBar on 01:45, 01 December 14
The only thing in ACE that is a bit of a downer is the lack of cdt support. All tapes need to be converted to wav first :-(

Tape2WAV should do the Job.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

CraigsBar

Hmmm sorry @arnoldemu, blue Angel cart is the first not working in ACE that I have found. Boots to a greenish screen and nothing more.

arnoldemu

Quote from: CraigsBar on 12:29, 01 December 14
Hmmm sorry @arnoldemu, blue Angel cart is the first not working in ACE that I have found. Boots to a greenish screen and nothing more.
Sorry Craig. You found a bug in ACE.

It works on GX4000, I've played it.
You've played it on a real Plus too I believe.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

CraigsBar

Indeed. Shucks. It's not the perfect emulator then, just pretty damn close.

TotO

Fixed here!

Thank you to Offset for his great work.  8)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

CraigsBar

Quote from: TotO on 20:31, 01 December 14
Fixed here!

Thank you to Offset for his great work.  8)

Great work is a major underestimation in my opinion. That is one quick fix for a bug that was not even reported to the developer LOL. That is what I call service, Apple Google and Microsoft could learn from that  ;)

I had planned on dropping a mail tonight after I had tested Puznic, however this is not required any more as both Puznic and Blue Angel work perfectly... Many many thanks  :D

Loving my near silent 1.5 ghz Mac Mini and ACE.

This seems to be getting even better. I just playtested Relentless and T-Type128 and although they are Jerky on other emus with LCD screen, on ACE they are both silky smooth.

OK Sorry @arnoldemu & @Executioner we definately have a new yardstick in CPC/plus emulation.

Craig

arnoldemu

No need to be sorry. I am aware of Ace being really good, it's a bit limited in it's choice of OS. But that is the choice of the developer himself.

I am impressed by how quickly the bugs are fixed. :)

I would also be very interested in testing it to see how accurate it really is. I'm guessing very.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

CraigsBar

Quote from: arnoldemu on 09:45, 02 December 14
No need to be sorry. I am aware of Ace being really good, it's a bit limited in it's choice of OS. But that is the choice of the developer himself.

I am impressed by how quickly the bugs are fixed. :)

I would also be very interested in testing it to see how accurate it really is. I'm guessing very.
It certainly seems to be very accurate. If you have code you want running against it, send me a dsk [emoji6]

TotO

I suggest that the OS choice is part the emulator accuraty too.
It look that ACE can't be easilly ported to Windows because the used functions have no equivalent.

PulkoMandy is porting ACE on Haiku (free BeOS clone) as this OS look OK for it.
Here a topic with some work in progress: Push'n'Pop | Amstrad CPC Demoscene | [ACE] CPC Emulator
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

CraigsBar

I have no problem with it being morphos only. After all Mac mini g4 machines can be got for peanuts these days, the expensive bit is the morphos licence.

CraigsBar

Quote from: CraigsBar on 21:20, 01 December 14

I just playtested Relentless and T-Type128 and although they are Jerky on other emus with LCD screen, on ACE they are both silky smooth.

OK I just captures a short video (which is currently uploading to YouTube of Relentless (and the first part of Breaking Baud)

I am amazed at how smooth Relentless runs, On every other emulator on any platform it is so jerky it is unplayable. I am not sure how Offset has managed this, but he seems to have resolved the CPC scroll on a LCD screen perfectly. I am just amazed at it. (Sorry about the short video, it;s hard to play and hold a smartphone!)

ACE emulator demo - YouTube

Craig