News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad CPC Emu on 15khz Arcade Monitor

Started by Beaps, 15:44, 12 November 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaps

Hi All

I REALLY hope someone can point me in the right direction

I am looking for an Amstrad CPC emulator to run in my Arcade Machine on arcade 15khz Monitor. The native & best resolution is Ddraw & 320x240. I can run 640x480 but the screen is interlaced (vibrating) and the picture is not sharp.

Does an emulator for the Amstrad exist as I have one for the Sceccy (realSpec I think its called) that has all these features & the image is truly amazing!

Bryce

You're taking the piss!? How the hell is anyone meant to be able to read that? :D

Bryce.

Beaps

Sorry, amended font size (dam phone)

ced64k

A few years ago I made a little arcade machine with AdvanceMame/ArcadeOS. It's a DOS version of MAME. I made a direct VGA to RGB cable and with a special dos driver, it could run at 15 Khz on my TV.
Now I see that AdvanceMame "is a port of the MAME™ and MESS emulators for Arcade Monitors and TVs but also for normal PC Monitors. " And MESS can emulate Amstrad CPC...

Beaps

I am liking where you are coming from as I messed around with MessUi64 last night for ages but the emulator is really basic. I got it working in the end but its very basic.

Is there not these option in a more current emulator & I just didnt see them?

mr_lou

I am using Lincade (Linux distro with MAME and MESS) to emulate MAME and Amstrad and C64.

It is connected to a TV directly from VGA output to SCART, and drivers tell the graphics cards to output 15khz signal. Works really great. Super clear and crisp picture.

Resolution can be changed with a single key while things are running.

Gryzor

I'm not really sure I understand the question/problem. I'm guessing you have your arcade cab all figured out, which means you're outputting at 15kHz through a VGA that supports this, correct?

Where is the problem then - that there's no emulator that does full screen at 320x240? Or something else?

Beaps

Ok here goes....

I have a Jamma arcade machine. I have a pc connected the cabinet via a JPac adapter. The maximum res the pc will display in the machine is an interlaced 640x480. If I drop the res by half to 320x240 then image quality is razor sharp. When I run MAME at this res with ddraw enable this gives an unbeatable image.

The problem I have is I need an Amstrad Emulator that displays a 320x240 Ddraw image that also runs at 60hz just like the speccy emulator does

Gryzor

That's the same setup I've got, I'd guess, but what VGA do you use? Will check later in the evening at what resolution I run my emulators and how they look...

Beaps

Maybe if I put up a quick YouTube video of the settings in speccy emu I need that might help with what I trying to explain?

Thanks for all your help with this guys. It's just bugging my why the amstrad screen looks so poor in comparison.

Gryzor

Quote from: BeapsMaybe if I put up a quick YouTube video of the settings in speccy emu I need that might help with what I trying to explain?

Thanks for all your help with this guys. It's just bugging my why the amstrad screen looks so poor in comparison.
I know exactly what you mean, I think, but a vid wouldn't hurt. Had quite some trouble getting the thing to give me a steady image. 

You didn't say what VGA you use :)

Oh, btw, I found that a degausser really, really helped with my monitor's stability. Might be worth it to give it a try?

Beaps

The pc is VGA to the jamma head (into the jpac)

The screen in the cab does not have VGA input

Gryzor

Yeah, I know it does not, everyone does JAMMA, but what model is it and can do 15KHz?

Beaps

It's a Nanao MS9 15khz only arcade monitor

Gryzor

Hahaha!

VGA. Graphics card. Not the monitor! :)

Beaps

Hahaha sorry

It's an ATI HD 4550 that I am using 'soft 15khz' to enable a 15khz signal

Gryzor

Hmmm have no idea how well soft 15KHz works - I use a modified ATI that outputs 15KHz itself, but in any case I'll check my emus at home...

TotO

Quote from: Beaps on 17:03, 14 November 12
It's a Nanao MS9 15khz only arcade monitor
Nanao are the best arcade monitor ever !!!  :-*
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Beaps

I agree its a wicked image  :o

Like I said, I will post a vid later on tonight.

Beaps

Here you go, hope it make sense what I asking  :D
A quick video of ZX Spin emulator that I was hoping for an Amstrad emulator with the same setting to run in my arcade cab

Speccy Emu - YouTube

Gryzor

Never seen a Nanao in action, are they really that good? Got a Hantarex myself...

The video looks great, wow. Absolutely fantastic.

Unfortunately I got home last night and... my cab won't work :( Starts booting Windows but after the Windows XP loading logo it just gives me a black screen (though it boots into safe mode fine). Sorry, will probably have to install Windows again :(

TotO

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:00, 15 November 12
Never seen a Nanao in action, are they really that good? Got a Hantarex myself...
I got a 26" Hantarex (31Khz) to play with my Naomi 2, Dreamcast, XB360... Great monitors. The best in Europe. (Italian brand if I'm not wrong) :)
Nanao (Eizo) is the most famous japanese CRT monitor brand. You can four them on medical imaging too.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Beaps

No worries Gryzor, I will keep looking. Amstrad is the one that I grew up playing, and I would love to get it running perfect.

Gryzor

Hantarex is Italian I think, too. Got to see a Nanao for myself then, though I'm not sure why you'd use the best option in medical equipment, a cheaper solution would do just as good a job, especially in the CRT days...

@Beaps: again, apologies. I was gutted to see it wouldn't boot... Once it's up and running again I'll give soft15KHz a go myself!

Beaps

Out of interest which is the best/most accurate CPC emulator out there?