News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Got bored again...

Started by mahlemiut, 02:36, 09 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

Looks like!  :-X   :laugh:
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TFM

@mahlemiut : Did you or could you please check if your HD20 implementation works with FutureOS? (I mean look at directories, type files on screen etc.).  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

remax

Quote from: Morn on 18:41, 23 June 15
Compared to e.g. JavaCPC or WinAPE, inserting a disk image is too difficult with QMC2. Using the MAME commandline is easier than QMC2 IMO.

I can't see why you find it more difficult...

Quote from: Morn on 20:57, 23 June 15So the simple solution to running MAME on Windows is......... install Linux! You know you really want to! You can even lock out velociraptors with it!  :P 

Han han, you didn't say the magic word...
Brain Radioactivity

mahlemiut

Quote from: TFM on 22:52, 23 June 15
@mahlemiut : Did you or could you please check if your HD20 implementation works with FutureOS? (I mean look at directories, type files on screen etc.).  :)
It didn't when I checked.  It would read one of the HD20 ports, but appeared to do nothing with the result.
I used the CPR version for that, as that's the only version that works in MESS, since you can't directly control which slot ROMs plug into (it's to do with the way the driver was originally written, I wasn't about to re-write it all.  Yet. ;))  I need to fix up the analogue input ports too, since that would be something to test it against.
- Barry Rodewald

TFM

If you need any kind of help with it let me know.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

mahlemiut

Well, looks like the reset register expects a reset regardless of whether it's a read or a write.  Added the chip reset to the read handler, and now I can get a directory listing, at least.  (and fixed up the analogue inputs so that's FutureOS is at least somewhat controllable now)

Couldn't type the text file though, complains about "No F.Header". (File header?  Refers to AMSDOS header?  ASCII files have no header, so maybe expected behaviour?)
- Barry Rodewald

TFM

Quote from: mahlemiut on 08:12, 25 June 15
Well, looks like the reset register expects a reset regardless of whether it's a read or a write.  Added the chip reset to the read handler, and now I can get a directory listing, at least.  (and fixed up the analogue inputs so that's FutureOS is at least somewhat controllable now)
Ok, great! The read-port (iirc) is to reset the hard-disc. (Dunno if you talked about this before, but you got it running! That's all that counts).

Quote from: mahlemiut on 08:12, 25 June 15
Couldn't type the text file though, complains about "No F.Header". (File header?  Refers to AMSDOS header?  ASCII files have no header, so maybe expected behaviour?)
That's a regular behavior. When typing an ASCII file you get the message "No header". But just press space and continue to select screen format in which you would like to see the file.
Sorry, I should make this more clear in the handbook (which I intend to overwork soon, because at July 12 there will be some releases :-))

Thank you very much for dong all this!!!
TFM of FutureSoft

mahlemiut

Ok, it looks like it gets stuck waiting for keyboard input, and nothing seems to work.  Likely an issue with the PPI, did you use different keyboard handling code for the CPR version? (So that I'll know if I need to implement the specific buggy PPI implementation the Plus uses)
- Barry Rodewald

TFM

Quote from: mahlemiut on 01:09, 26 June 15
Ok, it looks like it gets stuck waiting for keyboard input, and nothing seems to work.  Likely an issue with the PPI, did you use different keyboard handling code for the CPR version? (So that I'll know if I need to implement the specific buggy PPI implementation the Plus uses)

Honestly I had this "bug" all the time in FutureOS. It's a problem of FutureOS. Sometimes it senses a pressed letter which is not there. I don't know why this happens. My keyboard scanning does it the same way the Firmware does it (regarding values getting send to / received from PPI/PSG ports).
So the emulation is IMHO (99,7%) fine. I really wished to know why it happens. I have to care about it, but don't know where to start with.  :(
TFM of FutureSoft

mahlemiut

Seems to work when I press Caps Lock, for some strange reason.  Caps Lock, in general, seems to be a bit broken.  I can switch it on, but it can never be switched off.

I tried removing the PORT_TOGGLE (which is used when an input bit only changes state when you press it, ie: press it once to make it active, press it again to make it inactive), but that just made Caps Lock on permanently.
- Barry Rodewald

arnoldemu

When does it get stuck?

@TFM: The code in futureos looks ok.

I can see you are selecting the psg register and then sending inactive to psg.
I see you read psg register and read the data. I don't see you sending inactive to psg again.
Firmware does send inactive after port read, so it seems futureos is different here. Firmware also returns port A to output when it's used it. When it needs to read it switches and returns it back again. The sound code assumes port A is set to output.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

mahlemiut

Seems to be some issue with using Caps Lock in general, I get it staying active on PC drivers also.  Trying to figure out if it's an SDL2 issue or affects Win32 builds also.

FutureOS gets stuck on filename entry when renaming files (shouldn't FutureOS keep filenames in uppercase?  X-DDOS can't find lowercase filenames), or waiting for the spacebar to be pressed.  Essentially, it seems to work for selections, but not keypress waiting or text entry, but will start working if Caps Lock is pressed once.  No idea why.
- Barry Rodewald

Morn

Quote from: TFM on 19:23, 23 June 15
So maybe somebody could put the new version (after it's release in 35 hours) somewhere into the CPC Wiki. Or drop an .ZIP here.
You could also try MAMEUI64, they have released their 0.163 version now: IV/Play and MameUI Home Page

Unzip (with 7-ZIP), unzip the CPC ROMs from the Wiki into ROMs\, search for cpc in the builtin game list and you should at least be able to start the CPC emulation. Maybe set "Run in a window" under Default Game Options -> Display first.

TFM

Here is a DSK in Vortex Format, it contains some games, converted to run with the HD20 hard disc. Most files are system files, so you can't see them. If you copy them all to the HD20 you can run the games from there.

I found that DSK today by accident...so I thought I post it here. Hope you like it.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

mahlemiut

How do you go about copying the files?  With FutureOS, it will copy them, but X-DDOS cannot find the files once copied - they are visible to CAT, but not |DIR and they cannot be run (gives file not found error).  |COPY isn't much use either.
- Barry Rodewald

TFM

Oh, the files to start are DIR, so can be seen. Others (not to start) are invisible. Yes, you can use FutureOS to copy. Or if you don't need the crap for FutureOS (just the games) use X-DDOS COPY command with *.* (then delete unused crap). Sorry, haven't really had the time to care about details, didn't think it's a problem. But you can use a lot of cracked games from HD20 anyway.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

mahlemiut

amstrad: added Draysoft Doubler expansion device · mamedev/mame@1e29040 ·

Done in less than an hour, and not exactly the most useful of devices, but it does provide one (rather roundabout) way of converting a CDT to WAV. ;)
- Barry Rodewald