News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Arnold port to Android

Started by CraigsBar, 22:59, 11 August 11

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigsBar

Hey folks,

Now that dual core Android Devices are coming to market (HTC Sensation and Galaxy S II phones and the ANdroid Tablets) these should be more than powerful enough to run a port of Arnold.

I'd love to see it although I have no idea how to achieve it LOL.

Regards

Craig

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Gryzor

I doubt you need a dual core device. My Desire HD with its 1GHz CPU (can be overclocked to 1.8GHz, too) can even play full 3D Tegra games (and it's NOT a Tegra device).

Sure, maybe it'll be easier because less optimization is needed. But you have to consider that, on one extreme we got high-end dual-core, fantastic devises and on the other there is a proliferation of low-end ones that are gaining ground. So again....

CraigsBar

That is true..

I have just upgraded from about the lowest of the low, an HTC Hero (With Root and 2.3 rom) to a shiny new HTC Sensation. and I have to say the difference is sensational LOL.

The Hero could *just* about run the 2 existing CPC Emu's but neither has Plus support. A port of a Linux Emu would appear to be the easiest way of getting a Plus on the Sensation. (Especially since it does support apps written in C/C++ as well as 'Phone Java')

Regards

Craig

Gryzor

Ooh, nice resolution, 540 x 960... rooted it yet?

CraigsBar

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:13, 14 August 11
Ooh, nice resolution, 540 x 960... rooted it yet?

Not yet... I will wait for the HTC official Open/unlocked Bootloader due later this month  8) then it will be rooted. The current hacks to get S-off and root are only temp root. The unlocked bootloader will open the gateway for Perm root.

But this is kinda off topic LOL

Gryzor

Well, when I got my DHD it was a piece of cake to root it (OneClick and all), but in my excitement I installed the shiny new OTA fw that same night... hence it took me about three days of finding the tools and understanding the procedure to unlock it, but it was fun!

Btw, it was only yesterday that I read that HTC released a tool, but I don't remember for which devices.

CraigsBar

It's for the OEM Handsets only at this point...

The contracted ones are yet to come....

CraigsBar

Quote from: CraigsBar on 21:25, 16 August 11
It's for the OEM Handsets only at this point...

The contracted ones are yet to come....

However the Revolutionary team are ahead of HTC... As of last night I am S-Off, Custom Recovery and Rooted :-)

Gryzor

CraigsBar

This thread is quite dead, Which is a shame.

Just to add I can now add to the range of devices I could Beta test on to

HTC One X and Google Nexus 7

Man I love Android as a mobile OS, All it's missing is a decent cpc emu with plus support.

steve

I noticed on ebay the other day, an android tablet for £70, if a cpc emulator is available it would be a nice portable cpc. ;D

Gryzor

Android tablets go for ridiculously low prices these days, and then you also have those Android-on-a-USB-stick devices that plug into a TV set and are quite powerful for even lower amounts.

And yes, what a shame there's no CPC emulator :(

arnoldemu

Quote from: CraigsBar on 22:59, 11 August 11
Hey folks,

Now that dual core Android Devices are coming to market (HTC Sensation and Galaxy S II phones and the ANdroid Tablets) these should be more than powerful enough to run a port of Arnold.

I'd love to see it although I have no idea how to achieve it LOL.

Regards

Craig
My daughter has a kindle and I have the code for arnold ;) I have planned this already
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Gryzor

(wipes saliva) ooh yes man, please!

CraigsBar

Quote from: arnoldemu on 09:29, 05 April 13
My daughter has a kindle and I have the code for arnold ;) I have planned this already

That is the wonderful news i have been hoping to hear ;-)                                   

Manu

arnoldemu

Quote from: Manu on 17:01, 06 April 13
Well, we have these...

andcpc - Amstrad CPC emulator for android - Google Project Hosting
FMSDevel - CPCDroid - Amstrad CPC on Android phone

And I'm porting my own emu too :D
I tried andcpc, I found it to be clunky to use expecially the initial sdl setup.
I didn't try cpcdroid.

I don't know how good they are, but I think there is a lot more than just porting the emu, the whole ui needs to be carefully designed and thought out so that it works well with touch tablets like the kindle.
My games. My Games

Gryzor

How very true. The actual emulating engine is only a tiny part of the thing, especially when you're talking about so limited devices: they're powerful, but lack so many things... I had also tried CPCdroid, I remember it being rather unusable on my phone.

CraigsBar

Agreed, Although any emulator should be usable on the phone format (Therefore running a dsk image automatically from startup (Or DSK Selection) there should also be support for Bluetooth Keyboards and such like for those with Asus Transformers and BT Keyboards for Nexus 7s etc...

These 2 requirements mean the GUI has to be so carefully thought out that it is much harder IMHO to design it. The 2 existing eus fall down on both fronts, being neither easy to use on the phone devices or supporting tablet/BT Keyboards.

Just my thoughts

Craig

ralferoo

Quote from: arnoldemu on 09:29, 05 April 13
Good luck with the Kindle. I applied for a development kit about 2 years ago and they just completely ignored me.

arnoldemu

Quote from: ralferoo on 08:09, 16 April 13
Good luck with the Kindle. I applied for a development kit about 2 years ago and they just completely ignored me.
Well I have the device itself, and "developer mode" can be enabled from one of the menus.
I can upload files to it using usb, or download them and install using one of the file managers.
Also, building it using stock android libraries should be sufficient for a first pass.

Getting it onto the app store.. well that will be very different ;)
My games. My Games

Mark l

Quote from: CraigsBar on 21:44, 05 April 13
That is the wonderful news i have been hoping to hear ;-)                                 

I have been using the Arnold emulator named CPCDROID, or Andcpc. It's not available on google play but you find it on google search.

Gryzor

It's pretty cheap to register as an Android dev, isn't it?

Retrogames Revival

Where I put *.DSK files for AndCPC reach them?
There's no matter to search this files browsing, i guess... 

mr_lou

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:16, 22 April 13
It's pretty cheap to register as an Android dev, isn't it?

As far as I remember, it doesn't cost you anything at all.