News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Best emulator for Android

Started by Morri, 03:53, 22 August 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Morri

Hi all,
I have finally pulled myself out of the stone age and upgraded my old basic (no pun intended) cellphone to a Samsung Galaxy S5. I've since been trying to find the best CPC emulator for Android but I've not wanted to commit to paying for one unless it was reliable / still supported. I know of CPCDroid and DroidCPC  ??? so far but have no idea how good they are.
Any help appreciated  ;D
Keeping it Kiwi since 1977

mr_lou

Doesn't Google Play allow you to get a refund if you uninstall an app again within a certain amount of time?

If yes, then you can just try out the emulators and decide if you want them or not.  :)

Gryzor

Unfortunately a computer emulator on a touch screen, no matter how fast and accurate, is a bit of a let-down. There's really no proper way to play games and once the novelty wears off you'll probably not touch it again. Perhaps the best use would be to show demos off to your friends or something.

CraigsBar

Or use a Bluetooth keyboard. Then they make perfect sense ad an ultra portable.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Gryzor

Yes; and by the time you have added a tablet stand (because it's quite silly on a mobile) and a BT keyboard, in terms of money and space - heck, why not switch your laptop or PC on?

Morri

Thanks guys.  The more I look into this the more I come to the same conclusion. Perhaps the humble cpc just wasn't meant to fly free in the mobile world.
Keeping it Kiwi since 1977

Gryzor

Actually it's not about the "humble CPC", mobile devices are not well suited at all for this kind of task. I can understand a mobile gaming devices that has physical buttons to map as joysticks (used to love emulators on my original PSP), but touch-screen? Gaming hell-on-the-go.

Prodatron

I am longing the good old times, when advanced mobiles had physical keyboards...  :(

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

Gryzor

Yeah - I think those days are gone for good.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:01, 24 August 14
Yeah - I think those days are gone for good.
you can Bluetooth a Wii controller on android or usb an Xbox one. Not as portable, but very playable.

Gryzor

Quote from: CraigsBar on 11:40, 24 August 14
you can Bluetooth a Wii controller on android or usb an Xbox one. Not as portable, but very playable.

Or, you know, use my PC.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:46, 24 August 14

Or, you know, use my PC.
when I go away for a short break, I cannot exactly take a hexacore Mac pro with me every time. And sometimes even the MacBook pro is too much luggage. For those occasions.... And lunch breaks at work.... A nexus 7 with a Bluetooth keyboardcase combo is perfect to emulate chuckie egg, Gauntlet or who dares wins II Smaller, lighter and more powerful than even the smallest netbook.

Gryzor

If you're going to go to such lengths you'd be better off getting a gaming device though...

robbarton

I got a tablet stand from Poundland so they can be had cheaply. It's basic, just two plastic feet and two C shaped metal pipes.

You could make your own from any solid object (I used to prop up my phone against a tin of beans or a chunky hardback book so my daughter could watch Pingu) which has the benefit of being free if you can find something suitable to prop against.

I have used my Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini with a usb keyboard, plugged in through a USB to micro USB adapter, and it works ok - but the small screen puts me off using it for too long. Just for the moments when I need an Amstrad gaming fix!

mr_lou

I bought a Gamepark 2x once because I wanted to be able to play Amstrad games when I was out.
Ended up never using it.

Then I bought a bluetooth gamepad for my Android phone. Works great.
But I ended up never using it.

For me, Amstrad nostalgia somehow just belongs to a quiet cozy evening at home with the real machine.  :)

Gryzor

Quote from: mr_lou on 13:26, 24 August 14
For me, Amstrad nostalgia somehow just belongs to a quiet cozy evening at home with the real machine.  :)

Couldn't agree more, mate. My GP2X has also been gathering dust for ever now...

CraigsBar

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:12, 24 August 14

Couldn't agree more, mate. My GP2X has also been gathering dust for ever now...
That makes 3 of them then, mine is in a drawer with the cradle and one or 2 games.

Shame really, that was also a plucky underdog, abit like the CPC ;)

Carnivius

I got DroidCPC on my phone but yeah the lack of physical controls makes it something I don't really use much like any other game on the phone (though my friend's Xperia Z natively supports Dual Shock joypads and he uses that to play his C64 and MAME emulators.  My Xperia L doesn't have that built in feature unfortunately). For portable emulation my PSP is still the best choice for me and I often use that to play CPC games when out and about though I don't have my PSP with me as much as my phone (obviously I have my phone on me much more often due to needing to make and receive calls and emails and such).
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

AMSDOS

QuotePassengers on Qantas and Virgin Australia aircraft will be able to use electronic devices during flights, including during take-off and landing.The new policy will allow passengers to use smart phones, tablets, and mp3 players throughout plane journeys and on the tarmac as long as they are in flight mode.

Larger items such as laptops will be able to be used during flights, though will have to be stored during take-off and landing and passengers will still not be able to make calls or send text messages from the air.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2734240/Australian-airline-passengers-use-phones-tablets-want.html

Well I guess if you had a tablet + kbd, you could be on your Amstrad Emulator as the Aeroplane takes off. Laptop owners would have to wait.

:-X
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

mr_lou

Quote from: AMSDOS on 11:57, 28 August 14
Well I guess if you had a tablet + kbd, you could be on your Amstrad Emulator as the Aeroplane takes off. Laptop owners would have to wait.

Makes sense.

When I grow up, I wanna join this "Sensible Committee" that makes all these wise decisions in the world.
Looks like a job where you can't screw up.