News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Connect to a BBS via an Emulator

Started by Zoe Robinson, 01:10, 20 October 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoe Robinson

Hi guys!

This may sound like a stupid question but I've been playing around with some BBSes of late, via Telnet on my Mac. I was wondering if it's possible to get a CPC emulator to connect to these BBSes, as connecting via CPC feels more "right" than using a terminal window on a modern computer.

Is it possible to get a CPC emulator to connect to the Internet? If so, has anyone done it? When I do a Google search, all I get it guides for CPC hardware and as much as I'd like to give this a go, the thought of tracking down working hardware to connect my trusty 464 to the 'net seems like a lot more trouble than it would be worth for 30 minutes or so of playing about.

opqa

I managed to do it some time ago with VirtualCPC, as it's the only one with emulated serial interface support, somewhat buggy, but does the trick. I documented it in this thread, but it's all in spansih , sorry. You might try with google translator or similar and ask here (or there) if you have any particular doubts.

http://amstrad.es/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2977

Zoe Robinson

Thanks! I'll try translating (Google will have to do, my Spanish is appalling!) and see how it goes. :)

robcfg

Don't hesitate to ask anything you don't understand  ;)

Gryzor

Regarding BBS, is there any board that doesn't use ANSI? Or a CPC terminal with ANSI support?

opqa

I don't have much experience but I've seen that some BBS's offer the option to deactivate ANSI. Also, for the CPC there is ANSITERM that offers limited ANSI support.

The solution I used with CPC/IP was to telnet to a Linux machine configured with a termcap file specifically designed for the CPC firmware text facility (wich CPC/IP uses anyway). Toghether with the GNU screen program made a really good result.

mro1337

Quote from: opqa on 13:21, 21 October 14
I don't have much experience but I've seen that some BBS's offer the option to deactivate ANSI. Also, for the CPC there is ANSITERM that offers limited ANSI support.

The solution I used with CPC/IP was to telnet to a Linux machine configured with a termcap file specifically designed for the CPC firmware text facility (wich CPC/IP uses anyway). Toghether with the GNU screen program made a really good result.

if you call a synchronet bbs and your terminal does not support ansi (or even high ascii), it should toggle it off

check out telnetbbsguide.com and bbslist.bbses.info for active bbses

Gryzor

Thanks for the pointers, @opqa / @mro1337 , will check these out :)