News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Convert CPC 464 ROM'S TO Audio files

Started by djmk1988, 14:06, 29 December 19

Previous topic - Next topic

djmk1988

I bet someone else has asked this question at least once on this forum, I am posting this subject in need for help, I tried to look through the threads but they are way too many to be able to sort something out. :-X

I have this CPC464 64K Basic V1.0 with original colour monitor (  :P :P :P  )[size=78%]and am simply in love with it... I am currently loading games off youtube but there doesn't seem to be a big variation of choice....[/size]
However seen many websites where you can downloads ROM's. Is there any converter available that could convert the rom files into audible files to be loaded straight in the CPC 464?

Many thanks

Mario

Bryce

The only official ROM's were for the CPC+ range and they won't work on a standard CPC. There were other games converted to ROM (Thread somewhere here in the forum) which will run from a ROM board on all CPC's.

Bryce.

Token

If you meant games by ROM's then you could download .CDT files and convert them into audio with this kind of tools, CDT2WAV, TAP2WAV... Otherwise what said Bryce  ;) https://cpcrulez.fr/emulateurs_UTIL-CDT-CDT2WAV.htm
CDT pack: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/games/ctd-game-pack/

Gryzor

Just to clarify - you mean actual ROM files, originally intended for cartridges, and not tape or disk images, correct?

Bryce

Unfortunately, many people seem to talk about "ROMs" when they actually mean media images. I blame these stupid internet sites that say they offer ROMs, when in fact they don't.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Precisely, hence my post. In the Amstrad scene,99% of the times it's about either dsk or cdt, both media images and not ROM dumps as it is with consoles.

GUNHED

Quote from: djmk1988 on 14:06, 29 December 19
However seen many websites where you can downloads ROM's. Is there any converter available that could convert the rom files into audible files to be loaded straight in the CPC 464?
To use ROM files with your CPC464 you need to get a EPROM card, a ROM simulator or similar. Look for X-MEM, M4, Symbiface and so on.  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

VincentGR

I bet he is talking about CDTs.

mr_lou

Welcome to the forum @djmk1988     :)

What you're looking for are called "tape images"; CDT files. These can be downloaded from www.cpc-power.com
To convert a CDT file into a WAV audio file, you'll need tools like the ones @Token links too.

Alternatively, you could also get yourself one of those cassette adapters, that was typically used in the old days to play music from an mp3 player in a car that only had a cassette player. It's basically a cassette with a jack plug. You then connect your smartphone to this cassette adapter, and download the app "Tap Dancer" which can play CDT files. This way you can have all your games on your smartphone, and you don't even have to go through the trouble of converting them to WAV.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassette_tape_adapter

djmk1988

Guys I'm surprised by the amounts of messages you posted, all of which are relevant and helpful, so thank you all individually for your good contribution.
As some members here have said, yes I was looking for audible files but the trick seems to work - convert .CDT files into Wav and play them from my computer.
The tape transport on my cpc464 is completely gone but I've made an adaptation on the cassette board and just use and external cable to feed the signal in my CPC464 from my PC :)
( I'm quite familiar with electronics )

I was much limited before as I had to load games off youtube and the variation was not huge, now however things seem to be sorted and again I am much thankful for everyone's help.

Just to say I can't wait to start going through all the cdt files, there''s plenty of stuff over there.

Gryzor

Glad you're sorted 🙂

Yes, there's tons of stuff, plus the loading sound is sweet music!

SkulleateR

Gryzor

djmk1988

Quote from: SkulleateR on 14:32, 30 December 19
it depends  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well, must admit that's what I missed most .... I did however had some ZX Spectrum clones made in the USSR....
Didn't had luck getting a zx spectrum in repairable condition and got this CPC464 with colour monitor literally by accident- I told a guy I fix electronics and he said "I've got a CPC464 for you"
Best present for this year.....
Again many thanks to you all. Looking through the archives I rediscovered loads of childhood games... brings back loads of nostalgia.

Cheers

Mario

Gryzor

Makes for a really great Xmas time 🤗

pelrun

QuoteYou then connect your smartphone to this cassette adapter, and download the app "Tap Dancer" which can play CDT files.

Tapdancer drives me up the wall, with an interface that's worse than the original tape recorder it's aping, and buggy too.

So I added TZX/CDT support to an existing Acorn tape decoder webapp a while back, and it works equally well on my PC and my phone: https://pelrun.github.io/PlayUEF/PlayUEF.html

I actually wanted it to download CDT files directly from the cpcwiki, but CORS restrictions wrecked that idea... so you just need to download the CDT locally and open it from there.

Gryzor

Hmm, let me know if there's a way to fix that server-side...

pelrun

It's literally *only* fixable server-side. I completely intended to bug you about it, but then things got away from me... :D

Apparently the server has to return Access-Control-Allow-Origin: * in the HTTP response header for the appropriate files (CDTs and ZIPs).

VincentGR

Tapdancer is a great app but it has some flaws.
Some tapes refuse to work and the pause function is a pain.
The most irritating thing though is that while it converts the tape images to wavs, it doesn't delete them after the operation.

Gryzor

Quote from: pelrun on 16:25, 01 January 20
It's literally *only* fixable server-side. I completely intended to bug you about it, but then things got away from me... :D

Apparently the server has to return Access-Control-Allow-Origin: * in the HTTP response header for the appropriate files (CDTs and ZIPs).

Got to look into it, never touched that... Wish me luck.